Old 01-09-2003, 07:34 AM
Paul G

Default Lleylandii snapped

I am currently growing a lleylandii hedge (which I intend to control with
vigour!), but - the plants having reached a height of about 4 1/2 foot, two
of them have snapped at the trunk, leaving 3 foot high plants. I assume
that the trunk will not grow anymore, but should I pull the 2 plants out and
start again, or is there anything I can do to make them grow upwards? Or
should I just leave them and hope the rest of the plants will fill the gaps
in? (the broken plants aren't adjacent).

The hedge is planted at 2 foot intervals, and I planted them about 2 months
ago.

Thanks for any help

PAul

Old 01-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Arthur

"Paul G" wrote in message
.. .
I am currently growing a lleylandii hedge (which I intend to control with
vigour!), but - the plants having reached a height of about 4 1/2 foot,

two
of them have snapped at the trunk, leaving 3 foot high plants. I assume
that the trunk will not grow anymore, but should I pull the 2 plants out

and
start again, or is there anything I can do to make them grow upwards? Or
should I just leave them and hope the rest of the plants will fill the

gaps
in? (the broken plants aren't adjacent).

The hedge is planted at 2 foot intervals, and I planted them about 2

months
ago.

Thanks for any help

PAul

You will find that one or more of the upper branches will soon turn upwards
and become new leaders. Within a year or so they will look just like the
other plants but just a bit shorter. Once you have levelled out the tops
you won't notice the difference.

Good luck with them - I hope you have understanding neighbours!

- Arthur

Old 01-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Paul G
writes
I am currently growing a lleylandii hedge (which I intend to control with
vigour!), but - the plants having reached a height of about 4 1/2 foot, two
of them have snapped at the trunk, leaving 3 foot high plants. I assume
that the trunk will not grow anymore, but should I pull the 2 plants out and
start again, or is there anything I can do to make them grow upwards? Or
should I just leave them and hope the rest of the plants will fill the gaps
in? (the broken plants aren't adjacent).

The hedge is planted at 2 foot intervals, and I planted them about 2 months
ago.

How high do you want the hedge eventually?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 01-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Paul G

Thanks for the advice, it's a border between garden and pavement so it's not
really the neighbours, more the pedestrians that I will be displacing. Good
to know it will sort itself out though

How high do you want the hedge eventually?

About 5'6"-6' or so and 2 to t3 foot wide

Old 02-09-2003, 12:02 AM
bnd777

"Paul G" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks for the advice, it's a border between garden and pavement so it's

not
really the neighbours, more the pedestrians that I will be displacing.

Good
to know it will sort itself out though

How high do you want the hedge eventually?

About 5'6"-6' or so and 2 to t3 foot wide

Be sure to keep it cut right back to your boundary on the pavement side or
your Local Council will order you to do it or they will and send you the
bill

Old 02-09-2003, 07:23 AM
Paul G

Be sure to keep it cut right back to your boundary on the pavement side or
your Local Council will order you to do it or they will and send you the
bill

I've planted it behind a low boundary wall so will probably trim it flush
with that

Paul

Old 02-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Arthur

"Paul G" wrote in message
.. .
Be sure to keep it cut right back to your boundary on the pavement side

or
your Local Council will order you to do it or they will and send you the
bill

I've planted it behind a low boundary wall so will probably trim it flush
with that

Paul

Paul,
Remember that however well you keep the top growth cut back, the roots will
continue to grow. They are likely to push the "low boundary wall" out of
the ground!

-Arthur

Old 08-09-2003, 03:05 AM
Warwick

In article , Arthur@no-rcg-
spam.demon.co.uk says...

"Paul G" wrote in message
.. .
Be sure to keep it cut right back to your boundary on the pavement side

or
your Local Council will order you to do it or they will and send you the
bill

I've planted it behind a low boundary wall so will probably trim it flush
with that

Paul

Paul,
Remember that however well you keep the top growth cut back, the roots will
continue to grow. They are likely to push the "low boundary wall" out of
the ground!

Not Leylandii. That's one thing in favour of that dread beastie. Their
root system is a bit crap to say the least. I took out 3 large ones from
here when we moved in and they hadn't even slightly affected the fence
posts they were within inches of. I don't think you'll find a root over
1" thick more than 18" away from the base of a 20 year old out of
control 60' high one. The largest one was flush with the post and
although I had a hard time getting to and through the one root heading
off under the boundary considering I was working at it where it headed
off from the trunk, that was only because I couldn't go 3" to deal with
it.

Warwick