Old 30-05-2010, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snapped courgette plant

This year has been a hard one to get stuff started, but at least one plant
in a pot has been slowly growing over the last few weeks.
It was a 'One Ball summer squash' and was developing some promising looking
flowers and starting to grow away.

Just looked at it and the wind has snapped it off just above ground level,
leaving the head lying next to the stem.

I've never grown this particular courgette before, but I have grown
courgettes for many years and never known this happen.

Oh, well, just bought 3 yellow courgettes in Lidl (in one pot) so after they
have been potted up I know where one is going.

Roll on summer

Dave R

Old 30-05-2010, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote
This year has been a hard one to get stuff started, but at least one plant
in a pot has been slowly growing over the last few weeks.
It was a 'One Ball summer squash' and was developing some promising
looking flowers and starting to grow away.

Just looked at it and the wind has snapped it off just above ground level,
leaving the head lying next to the stem.

I've never grown this particular courgette before, but I have grown
courgettes for many years and never known this happen.

Oh, well, just bought 3 yellow courgettes in Lidl (in one pot) so after
they have been potted up I know where one is going.

Roll on summer

Slug eaten through it?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-05-2010, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

I would have been inclined to trim off some of the leaves and to put
it into water. many members of that family will throw new roots up the
stem, so You might have been able to re start it in time.
Nothing to loose.
David Hill
Old 31-05-2010, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David WE Roberts wrote:
It was a 'One Ball summer squash' and was developing some promising looking
flowers and starting to grow away.

I have 3 of those in my greenhouse waiting to go out. They are starting to
flower already!

Just looked at it and the wind has snapped it off just above ground level,
leaving the head lying next to the stem.

I've never grown this particular courgette before, but I have grown
courgettes for many years and never known this happen.

I had a row of bush courgettes out, with 4 green and a gap for the yellow
(the only one that germinated!) to go in the middle - and after a night in
the greenhouse, some slug like thing has come along and munched right
through the growing tip. :'(

Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I would have been inclined to trim off some of the leaves and to put
it into water. many members of that family will throw new roots up the
stem, so You might have been able to re start it in time.
Nothing to loose.
David Hill

Thanks for the suggestion.
Unfortunately a little too late this time, but I will remember.