Old 03-09-2003, 08:04 AM
Peter Goddard

Default Black Mulberry

I planted a black mulberry in February. It was basically a "whip" with no
side branches.
I dug a 3ft planting hole long before it arrived, which was filled with good
topsoil, compost and manure. I added a bit of gtowmore and let it all
stand for six weeks.
After planting it was very slow to produce leaves - which I had been warned
to expect.
Eventually it produced half a dozen side branches.
A couple of months ago it began to die back from the tip. After it had died
back to below the first branch I cut the tip back and treated it with
arbrex.
Then the leaves on all but two branches began to die. Their branches
blackened at the joint with the trunk and dropped off.
I now have a whip with a withered tip and one healthy branch just above the
ground and a stump with a couple of deformed leaves about a foot from the
top.

Is there something I can do to save it - and if so, is it likely to produce
new leaders or will it develop as a bush?

Old 03-09-2003, 11:32 AM
billtheburglar

"Peter Goddard" wrote in message ...
[...]

Its mulberry canker - the blackening at the joint is very distinctive.
i have found that once it has started it will finish. for healthy pot
grown replacement try buckingham nurseries - they are on the web - but
check on receipt for any sign of blackening
Old 03-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Peter Goddard

Oh blow!
It came from Marshalls and they are sending a replacement next February -
but it was a present from 'er indoors, so I really don't want to lose it.
(sob)

Old 08-09-2003, 03:05 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Peter Goddard
writes

Is there something I can do to save it - and if so, is it likely to produce
new leaders or will it develop as a bush?

PLEASE come and take mine or I can send you some of the six feet of
shoots it puts up every year having been chopped back to six feet high!
It's a pain in the bum Peter it will get leaves weeks after all other
trees do, it will shed leaves weeks before others do, it will split very
easily at the stem so that branches become dangerous and it will root
across the garden and produce great thick roots around the trunk.
The fruit will make a terrible mess, staining everything they touch and
they smell awful when they rot.

Apart from that a wonderful tree and worthy of being saved

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 AM
DaveDay34

PLEASE come and take mine or I can send you some of the six feet of
shoots it puts up every year having been chopped back to six feet high!
It's a pain in the bum Peter it will get leaves weeks after all other
trees do, it will shed leaves weeks before others do, it will split very
easily at the stem so that branches become dangerous and it will root
across the garden and produce great thick roots around the trunk.
The fruit will make a terrible mess, staining everything they touch and
they smell awful when they rot.

Apart from that a wonderful tree and worthy of being saved

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Janet,

I'd love some Black Mulberries if you have any cuttings to spare. Where do you
live?

Dave.