Old 18-09-2003, 11:48 PM
Joe Fogey

Default Black Mulberry

I've got a black mulberry seedling. Any ideas about site, soil preparation,
length of time before fruiting and/or ways of bringing fruit on more
quickly?

Joe Fogey

Old 19-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Larry Stoter

Joe Fogey wrote:

I've got a black mulberry seedling. Any ideas about site, soil preparation,
length of time before fruiting and/or ways of bringing fruit on more
quickly?

Joe Fogey

Black Mulberry is fairly long lived - 400 years plus.

We bought a sapling, about 4 ft tall which I guess was ~6 to 8 years
old. We've had it ~3 years and it has produced a few fruit every year. I
think they take several years to get their roots well established but
have been told that once they do, they can start producing a lot of
fruit while still quite young.

Slightly off topic, if you get the chance, visit Hatfield House - there
are various "Elizabethan" plants in the formal gardens, including Black
Mulberry and Medlar, both of which fruit heavily. Very few people seem
to be aware that the Mulberries are not only edible but delicious! At
the right time of year, you can position yourself close to the trunk of
the one of the Mulberries and stuff yourself while being almost
completely unobserved in the act unless people come very close.
Although, the red lips are a bit of a giveaway :-))
--
Larry Stoter
Old 19-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Natalie

"Very few people seem
to be aware that the Mulberries are not only edible but delicious! At
the right time of year, you can position yourself close to the trunk of
the one of the Mulberries and stuff yourself while being almost
completely unobserved in the act unless people come very close.
Although, the red lips are a bit of a giveaway :-))

and the red fingers ;-)

Natalie

Old 19-09-2003, 09:05 PM
Larry Stoter

Natalie wrote:

"Very few people seem
to be aware that the Mulberries are not only edible but delicious! At
the right time of year, you can position yourself close to the trunk of
the one of the Mulberries and stuff yourself while being almost
completely unobserved in the act unless people come very close.
Although, the red lips are a bit of a giveaway :-))

and the red fingers ;-)

Natalie

Not a problem - suck the fingers thoroughly before coming out from the
tree :-))
--
Larry Stoter
Old 19-09-2003, 09:14 PM
Natalie

"
Not a problem - suck the fingers thoroughly before coming out from the
tree :-))
--
Larry Stoter

Otherwise you'll be caught red handed ;-))

Natalie