Old 18-08-2005, 09:13 PM
Larry Stoter

Default Pruning Black Mulberry

OK - sorry, I think I'm being lazy because I think this has been
discussed ....

Are there any problems pruning Black Mulberry and when should it be
done?

Thanks,

--
Larry Stoter
Old 18-08-2005, 11:33 PM
Kay

In article , Larry
Stoter writes
OK - sorry, I think I'm being lazy because I think this has been
discussed ....

Are there any problems pruning Black Mulberry and when should it be
done?

I've read that it should be done in winter because if it is in leaf it
tends to bleed.

I've taken small branches off mine with no trouble but nothing over half
an inch

--
Kay

Old 22-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes
In article , Larry
Stoter writes
OK - sorry, I think I'm being lazy because I think this has been
discussed ....

Are there any problems pruning Black Mulberry and when should it be
done?

I've read that it should be done in winter because if it is in leaf it
tends to bleed.

I've taken small branches off mine with no trouble but nothing over half
an inch

I took 35 foot off mine and left me with three stumps. It still sprouts
prolifically every year and grows shoots of up to 8 foot in one season.
I cut it back in the winter but it certainly recovers well

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 23-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Kay

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Kay
writes
In article , Larry
Stoter writes
OK - sorry, I think I'm being lazy because I think this has been
discussed ....

Are there any problems pruning Black Mulberry and when should it be
done?

I've read that it should be done in winter because if it is in leaf it
tends to bleed.

I've taken small branches off mine with no trouble but nothing over half
an inch

I took 35 foot off mine and left me with three stumps. It still sprouts
prolifically every year and grows shoots of up to 8 foot in one season.
I cut it back in the winter but it certainly recovers well

Your black mulberry is a law unto itself. Grows twice as fast as the
average black mulberry and has insipid fruit instead of the luscious
full flavoured fruit one expects.
--
Kay

Old 24-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes

I took 35 foot off mine and left me with three stumps. It still sprouts
prolifically every year and grows shoots of up to 8 foot in one season.
I cut it back in the winter but it certainly recovers well

Your black mulberry is a law unto itself. Grows twice as fast as the
average black mulberry and has insipid fruit instead of the luscious
full flavoured fruit one expects.

Ah but I grew it from a seed so I guess that explains the variation in
type?
Makes superb whippy stuff for a friend who does a great deal of living
willow sculptures and basket work etc.

Old 25-08-2005, 12:12 PM
John McMillan

In article , Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Ah but I grew it from a seed so I guess that explains the variation in
type?
Makes superb whippy stuff for a friend who does a great deal of living
willow sculptures and basket work etc.

How long from seed to first fruit? Not that I'm actually interested
in speed-trialling your newly developed insipid variety. I have a
sapling which came from J.Tweedie, Dumfries. Its now two years older
than when I bought it and produces lots of healthy looking foliage
but as yet no fruit. No "superb whippy stuff" either; each new years
twigs are only 70cm or so. Its on a hill, protected from NE winds
by the house but completely exposed on the W to wind/weather coming
off the pennines.

john McMillan
Old 25-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Kay

In article , John
McMillan writes
In article , Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Ah but I grew it from a seed so I guess that explains the variation in
type?
Makes superb whippy stuff for a friend who does a great deal of living
willow sculptures and basket work etc.

How long from seed to first fruit? Not that I'm actually interested
in speed-trialling your newly developed insipid variety. I have a
sapling which came from J.Tweedie, Dumfries. Its now two years older
than when I bought it and produces lots of healthy looking foliage
but as yet no fruit. No "superb whippy stuff" either; each new years
twigs are only 70cm or so. Its on a hill, protected from NE winds
by the house but completely exposed on the W to wind/weather coming
off the pennines.

About another 3 years for the first fruits - it will only be one or two
for the first couple of years
--
Kay

Old 26-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Larry Stoter

John McMillan wrote:

In article , Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Ah but I grew it from a seed so I guess that explains the variation in
type?
Makes superb whippy stuff for a friend who does a great deal of living
willow sculptures and basket work etc.

How long from seed to first fruit? Not that I'm actually interested
in speed-trialling your newly developed insipid variety. I have a
sapling which came from J.Tweedie, Dumfries. Its now two years older
than when I bought it and produces lots of healthy looking foliage
but as yet no fruit. No "superb whippy stuff" either; each new years
twigs are only 70cm or so. Its on a hill, protected from NE winds
by the house but completely exposed on the W to wind/weather coming
off the pennines.

john McMillan

We bought our Black Mulberry ~5 years ago. It has been groowing
reasonably vigorously, putting on ~15 cm a year (70 cm seems a lot!).
This summer is the first year which it produced a good quantity of fruit
- somewhat to our surprise, this has been almost completely ignored by
the birds. Currently, it is ~2.5 m high and I felt it might be a good
idea to remove one or two lower twigs - which produced no fruit - and
open up the centre by taking out a few crossing twigs.
--
Larry Stoter