Old 09-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Kay Easton

Default Horsetails.

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

[snip]

Anyway, I'm not out to get you!

Why not? They are both probably superb gardeners and/or botanists, but they
have been behaving like a pair of obstreperous ten-year-olds for long enough
by now.

{:-((

Yeah, but I've 'known' them both in urg for a long time, and they post a
lot of good stuff. From my pov, they've 'earned' a bit of stroppiness
;-)

You, being a relative newcomer, are entitled to get cross with them much
more quickly ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 09-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

Nor is it still, but I notice now that there are no ferns in it either.

I don't know, but isn't the Concise British Flora a book on flowering
plants? Then they wouldn't be in it.

Not exclusively. Flora is used in that context as opposed to fauna.

--
Frère Jaques
They knocked the Bell down and erected a charade of pops.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

[snip]

Anyway, I'm not out to get you!

Why not? They are both probably superb gardeners and/or botanists, but

they
have been behaving like a pair of obstreperous ten-year-olds for long

enough
by now.

{:-((

Yeah, but I've 'known' them both in urg for a long time, and they post a
lot of good stuff. From my pov, they've 'earned' a bit of stroppiness
;-)

Even in the short time I have been enjoying myself in urg, I have noticed
that they both emit much good sense, except when they are talking to each
other. The latter situation is tiresome, to say the least.

You, being a relative newcomer, are entitled to get cross with them much
more quickly ;-)

I have done so. I do, however regain my equanimity very quickly aand very
completely.

Franz

Old 09-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

It really does not matter one iota which of you has the last word.

Franz
Franz

For those who may be getting a little confused, I think that means
that one Franz believes it doesn't matter one iota who has the last
word, and the other Franz disagrees.

Me too.

Janet

Old 10-09-2003, 08:13 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 20:10:30 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades wrote:

The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

Nor is it still, but I notice now that there are no ferns in it either.

I don't know, but isn't the Concise British Flora a book on flowering
plants? Then they wouldn't be in it.

Not exclusively. Flora is used in that context as opposed to fauna.

I'm aware of the meanings of flora and fauna. I just wondered, because it
could be the case that he concentrated on the flowering plants, which most
poeple might be interested in in a general book. I don't have a copy of the
book (obviously), does it exclude liverworts as well? Or does it actually
have any non-flowering plants in it?

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Old 10-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article m, Tim
Challenger d writes
On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 20:10:30 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades wrote:

The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

Nor is it still, but I notice now that there are no ferns in it either.

I don't know, but isn't the Concise British Flora a book on flowering
plants? Then they wouldn't be in it.

Not exclusively. Flora is used in that context as opposed to fauna.

I'm aware of the meanings of flora and fauna. I just wondered, because it
could be the case that he concentrated on the flowering plants, which most
poeple might be interested in in a general book. I don't have a copy of the
book (obviously), does it exclude liverworts as well? Or does it actually
have any non-flowering plants in it?

No, unless you call sedges and grasses non-flowering plants which I've
known people do!

--
Malcolm Ogilvie
Old 10-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

It really does not matter one iota which of you has the last word.

Franz
Franz

For those who may be getting a little confused, I think that means
that one Franz believes it doesn't matter one iota who has the last
word, and the other Franz disagrees.

Me too.

Firstly, sorry about the duplication. Senility reigns. Forget the second
signature.
Secondly, I am lost about what Janet is Meing too to.
{:-))

Franz

Janet

Old 10-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

Not exclusively. Flora is used in that context as opposed to fauna.

I'm aware of the meanings of flora and fauna. I just wondered, because it
could be the case that he concentrated on the flowering plants, which most
poeple might be interested in in a general book. I don't have a copy of the
book (obviously), does it exclude liverworts as well? Or does it actually
have any non-flowering plants in it?

Depends on your definition of 'flowering'. It has grasses, coniferous
trees and some plants which spread vegetatively.

Old 10-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Altrades wrote:
The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

Not exclusively. Flora is used in that context as opposed to fauna.

I'm aware of the meanings of flora and fauna. I just wondered, because it
could be the case that he concentrated on the flowering plants, which most
poeple might be interested in in a general book. I don't have a copy of the
book (obviously), does it exclude liverworts as well? Or does it actually
have any non-flowering plants in it?

Depends on your definition of 'flowering'. It has grasses, coniferous
trees and some plants which spread vegetatively.

Well, yes, but it has a technical meaning in this context. That
includes grasses and conifers, but not horsetails, ferns etc.

The term "vascular plants" includes those, but not mosses and
liverworts, and that is another group included in many books.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:52 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Secondly, I am lost about what Janet is Meing too to.
{:-))

I don't have a tutu, what are you on about now?

Janet.