Old 07-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Janet Sanderson

Default tree / fruit ???

The lady who lives opposite us has a very interesting tree, about 30
foot high and has fruits on it that look like blackberries, anyone any
clues? Could take photos if necissary.

Actually her garden is very interesting, very large, she has just left
as about 95 years old and can't live in a 7 bedroom house any more on
her own. loads of rare plant varieties, but all overgrown and in need
of TLC. I do hope someone appreciates what is in her garden when they
buy the house.

Janet
Old 07-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Natalie

"Janet Sanderson" wrote in message
The lady who lives opposite us has a very interesting tree, about 30
foot high and has fruits on it that look like blackberries, anyone any
clues? Could take photos if necissary.

Actually her garden is very interesting, very large, she has just left
as about 95 years old and can't live in a 7 bedroom house any more on
her own. loads of rare plant varieties, but all overgrown and in need
of TLC. I do hope someone appreciates what is in her garden when they
buy the house.

Is it a Mulberry tree? They look like a cross between raspberry and
blackberry...very tasty ;-)

Natalie

Old 07-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Janet Sanderson
writes
The lady who lives opposite us has a very interesting tree, about 30
foot high and has fruits on it that look like blackberries, anyone any
clues? Could take photos if necissary.

Mulberry? Lobed leaves and rough bark? Though that's a bit high for a
mulberry - they're usually spreading rather than tall.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Janet Sanderson

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 21:57:17 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Janet Sanderson
writes
The lady who lives opposite us has a very interesting tree, about 30
foot high and has fruits on it that look like blackberries, anyone any
clues? Could take photos if necissary.

Mulberry? Lobed leaves and rough bark? Though that's a bit high for a
mulberry - they're usually spreading rather than tall.

I wondered if it was a mulberry, it has a leaf a bit like a lime. The
fruit does look delicious, and its tempting to go scrumping.
I may have to take pictures
Thanks
Janet
Old 08-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Sanderson writes:

| I wondered if it was a mulberry, it has a leaf a bit like a lime. The
| fruit does look delicious, and its tempting to go scrumping.

Yes, that describes the leaves well.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 08-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Janet Sanderson writes:

| I wondered if it was a mulberry, it has a leaf a bit like a lime. The
| fruit does look delicious, and its tempting to go scrumping.

Yes, that describes the leaves well.

I see nothing in this post which describes any leaves.
Overenthusiastic snipping?

Franz

Old 08-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
| In article ,
| |
==== ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| | fruit does look delicious, and its tempting to go scrumping.
|
| Yes, that describes the leaves well.
|
| I see nothing in this post which describes any leaves.
| Overenthusiastic snipping?

No, pruned to perfection :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Franz Heymann

Janet Sanderson writes:

| I wondered if it was a mulberry, it has a leaf a bit like a lime.

The
| fruit does look delicious, and its tempting to go scrumping.

Yes, that describes the leaves well.

I see nothing in this post which describes any leaves.
Overenthusiastic snipping?

Franz, stop being an idiot.

Franz

Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Franz Heymann

"Franz Heymann" writes:
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
| In article ,
| Janet Sanderson writes:
| |
| | I wondered if it was a mulberry, it has a leaf a bit like a lime.

The
==== ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| | fruit does look delicious, and its tempting to go scrumping.
|
| Yes, that describes the leaves well.
|
| I see nothing in this post which describes any leaves.
| Overenthusiastic snipping?

No, pruned to perfection :-)

I must have been drunk.
{:-))

Franz

Old 09-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Franz Heymann

Old 09-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Franz Heymann

"Franz Heymann" writes:
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
| In article ,
| |

Old 09-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Janet Sanderson
writes
I wondered if it was a mulberry, it has a leaf a bit like a lime. The
fruit does look delicious, and its tempting to go scrumping.
I may have to take pictures

The upper surface of the leaves of Morus nigra has a sandpaper-like
texture (to the touch); this distinguishes from all the limes with which
I am familiar. (The upper surface of the leaves of T. platyphyllos is
woolly to the touch; in other limes it is glabrous.) Hillier says that
it is downy below.

The leaves of Morus nigra are also typically 3-nerved at the base,
whereas limes are 5- or more- nerved, and sometimes asymmetrically
nerved.

Whatever it is (and mulberry is what springs to mind from your
description) the fruit eliminates many other genera containing species
with cordate, ovate, acute or acuminate leaves, such as Tilia, Ulmus,
Corylus, Populus, Alnus, Cercidophyllum or Davidia.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.meden.demon.co.uk/Malvace...a/Britain.html
Old 09-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Janet Sanderson

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 17:04:42 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In article , Janet Sanderson
writes
I wondered if it was a mulberry, it has a leaf a bit like a lime. The
fruit does look delicious, and its tempting to go scrumping.
I may have to take pictures

The upper surface of the leaves of Morus nigra

Well done that man, got it in one, just seen the old boy who helped
the previous owners get it, they imported it from China to encourage
silk worms, then found out it should have been a white Morus, not that
I mind, just managed to reach the fruit today off my faithful horse,
and they were delicious!
Thanks for the help with pruning ;-)
Janet