Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Stuart Forbes

Default [OT] Wasps. Help needed

I recommend a few sarracenia flava/alata (pitcher plants - carnivorous!).
They eat wasps for breakfast and are pretty hardy outdoors if kept out of
too much wind.

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland

Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Anthony

"Neil Cooper" wrote in message
I found a wasps nest in my paddock. It was a hole in the ground about 1ft
across and the same deep full of wasps. I managed to destroy most of them
but still have a number left. Any ides on removal would be much

appreciated.

Thanks Neil

(a) Get the Council in (around here its £25) to apply powder.
(b) Use a proprietry wasp nest spray (the foaming type).
(c) Pour neat petrol in and around the hole ( do not set alight!), the fumes
will kill them!

If choosing b or c above, do it in the evening when the wasps are not so
active,
and at arms length!
Usual disclaimers of course.........!

Anthony

Old 09-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:34:15 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

Considering I watched the wasps actually doing it for several days
before I acted there wasn't much doubt, I assure you. They didn't eat my
plums this year because there weren't any, but normally they do.

I'm with you there - with more than a couple of dozen Victoria plums
trees out back I'm painfully ( literally ) aware of how the little
buggers descend on the crop.
Initially I thought that they'd be happy to feed on the droppage (
they weren't ), and then I wondered whether this might be attracting
more wasps - so I tried keeping the ground clear.
No bloody change.
And don't they get arsey when the crop's finished!

Complete and utter failure of the crop this year.
Normally it runs in two year cycles - last year was a bumper year, so
I was half expecting a dismal year.... but I'm hard put to find more
than a dozen decent plums altogether.

But still, if you and your friend are not going to be convinced I'm not
wasting time on you! Maybe you're a wasp groupie! :-)

As good a euphemism as any

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 09-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Mary Fisher

news
In message , Neil Cooper
writes
I found a wasps nest in my paddock. It was a hole in the ground about 1ft
across and the same deep full of wasps. I managed to destroy most of them
but still have a number left. Any ides on removal would be much

appreciated.

Was there a need to destroy them? Were they causing annoyance? Wasps are
one of nature's scavengers. Generally, unless they perceive threat they
won't attack you. I have gardened next to wasps without problem.

Well said.

They won't be around long.

Mary

Old 09-09-2003, 12:30 AM
Andy Spragg

David Rance pushed briefly to the
front of the queue on Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:34:15 +0100, and nailed this
to the shed door:

^ On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Andy Spragg wrote:
^
^ ^ Was there a need to destroy them? Were they causing annoyance?
^ ^
^ ^ Are you kidding? I had to put wasp traps up before I could gather my
^ ^ grapes. They sucked a goodly proportion dry. Wretched creatures!
^ ^
^ ^ Liar, and a demon dimbulb so it figures.
^
^ Yeah. You claim the wasp is to blame for all the
^ worlds ills, based on your ignorance of wasps.
^
^ Considering I watched the wasps actually doing it for several days
^ before I acted there wasn't much doubt, I assure you. They didn't eat my
^ plums this year because there weren't any, but normally they do.
^
^ But still, if you and your friend are not going to be convinced I'm not
^ wasting time on you! Maybe you're a wasp groupie! :-)

Nope. Check my sig! Then check the link and the thread it came from.
Utterly hysterical. Malcolm is an arse. When people report their
experience that doesn't happen to fit his world view, he assumes they
must be lying.

Andy
--

"No, you claim the magpie is to blame for all the
worlds ills, based on your ignorance of magpies."

Old 09-09-2003, 08:13 AM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 23:34:18 +0100, Anthony wrote:

(c) Pour neat petrol in and around the hole ( do not set alight!), the fumes
will kill them!

Just don't do this on or near any waterways or underground reservoir.
Under the 1991 Water Rresources Act, it's an offence '...to cause or
knowingly permit any poinsonous, noxious or polluting matter...to enter any
controlled waters'.

Otherwise, try here also:
http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/homepest/Wasp.htm

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Old 09-09-2003, 08:22 AM
Peter Goddard

I would normally share that view, but my kids disturbed a wasp nest. They
had hundreds of stings on head and arms - as did we when we tried to pull
the damn things from their hair. It was off to A&E for the whole family.
A wasp nest in the loft is fine - but in a hole in the ground or low in a
tree? Get shot of it!

Old 09-09-2003, 09:33 AM
Malcolm

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 23:15:11 GMT, (Andy Spragg)
wrote:

[...]

No assumptions, an arsehole always lies, you cant help it, it's your
very nature, anything for attention.

I have pear, apple, plum, grape, cherry tree's in my garden, and
always a wasp or bees nest nearby, even had bees in the loft last year
and no problems at all. I don't mind sharing a very, very small
percentage of my fruit with wildlife and in the winter remove the
nest.

You need to get a life shitforbrains and accept the planet isnt here
just for you.

Old 09-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Alan Holmes

"Neil Cooper" wrote in message
I found a wasps nest in my paddock. It was a hole in the ground about 1ft
across and the same deep full of wasps. I managed to destroy most of them
but still have a number left. Any ides on removal would be much

appreciated.

If you can locate the entrance to the nest, wait until dark and pour about a
couple of teaspoons of petrol in the hole, this will asphyxiate the lot.

Alan

Thanks Neil

Old 10-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Mary Fisher

"Peter Goddard" wrote in message
I would normally share that view, but my kids disturbed a wasp nest. They
had hundreds of stings on head and arms - as did we when we tried to pull
the damn things from their hair. It was off to A&E for the whole family.
A wasp nest in the loft is fine - but in a hole in the ground or low in a
tree? Get shot of it!

Well, you'll never get rid of all the nests. There'll always be someone who
accidentally disturbs one which hasn't been detected.

A& E is rarely necessary.

Mary

Old 14-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Malcolm

wrote:

[...]

Oh dear me, someone doesn't like being made an arse of, have you ever
considered it's nothing personal, you're just an arse, someone has to
be.

PS: Do you hold grudges for long? Bwahahahahahahaha

Sensitive beggar aint you!

WAsps, wasps and more wasps Broadback United Kingdom 69 09-08-2004 09:57 AM
[OT] Wasps. Help needed Simon Avery United Kingdom 0 11-09-2003 12:05 PM
the truth about wasps...and contrition Edible Gardening 0 08-05-2003 10:20 PM
Ground Wasps Lar Gardening 2 01-05-2003 05:44 AM
Wasps nest in the attic Peter Crosland United Kingdom 30 07-12-2002 07:56 PM