Old 08-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Neil Cooper

Default [OT] Wasps. Help needed

I found a wasps nest in my paddock. It was a hole in the ground about 1ft
across and the same deep full of wasps. I managed to destroy most of them
but still have a number left. Any ides on removal would be much appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Old 08-09-2003, 04:32 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Neil Cooper
writes
I found a wasps nest in my paddock. It was a hole in the ground about 1ft
across and the same deep full of wasps. I managed to destroy most of them
but still have a number left. Any ides on removal would be much appreciated.

Was there a need to destroy them? Were they causing annoyance? Wasps are
one of nature's scavengers. Generally, unless they perceive threat they
won't attack you. I have gardened next to wasps without problem.

What did you destroy them with?

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 08-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Malcolm

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:46:33 +0000 (UTC), "Neil Cooper"
wrote:

I found a wasps nest in my paddock. It was a hole in the ground about 1ft
across and the same deep full of wasps. I managed to destroy most of them
but still have a number left.

PRICK, lets hope you live to sincerely regret that!

Old 08-09-2003, 05:03 PM
David Rance

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, dave @ stejonda wrote:

I found a wasps nest in my paddock. It was a hole in the ground about 1ft
across and the same deep full of wasps. I managed to destroy most of them
but still have a number left. Any ides on removal would be much appreciated.

Was there a need to destroy them? Were they causing annoyance?

Are you kidding? I had to put wasp traps up before I could gather my
grapes. They sucked a goodly proportion dry. Wretched creatures!

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 08-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Malcolm

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:42:25 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, dave @ stejonda wrote:

I found a wasps nest in my paddock. It was a hole in the ground about 1ft
across and the same deep full of wasps. I managed to destroy most of them
but still have a number left. Any ides on removal would be much appreciated.

Was there a need to destroy them? Were they causing annoyance?

Are you kidding? I had to put wasp traps up before I could gather my
grapes. They sucked a goodly proportion dry. Wretched creatures!

Liar, and a demon dimbulb so it figures.

Old 08-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Mike Lyle

"Neil Cooper" wrote in message ...
I found a wasps nest in my paddock. It was a hole in the ground about 1ft
across and the same deep full of wasps. I managed to destroy most of them
but still have a number left. Any ides on removal would be much appreciated.

Last time I had the problem I used, with complete success, one of
those longish-range squirter aerosols they sell for the purpose -- and
you can bet I read the instructions very carefully!

Mike.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:03 PM
shazzbat

"Neil Cooper" wrote in message
I found a wasps nest in my paddock. It was a hole in the ground about 1ft
across and the same deep full of wasps. I managed to destroy most of them
but still have a number left. Any ides on removal would be much

appreciated.

Thanks Neil

It would appear that you've also stirred up a hornet's nest :~))

Old 08-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Andy Spragg

Malcolm pushed briefly to the front of the
queue on Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:03:33 GMT, and nailed this to the shed
door:

^ wrote:
^
^ On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, dave @ stejonda wrote:
^
^ I found a wasps nest in my paddock. It was a hole in the ground about 1ft
^ across and the same deep full of wasps. I managed to destroy most of them
^ but still have a number left. Any ides on removal would be much appreciated.
^
^ Was there a need to destroy them? Were they causing annoyance?
^
^ Are you kidding? I had to put wasp traps up before I could gather my
^ grapes. They sucked a goodly proportion dry. Wretched creatures!
^
^ Liar, and a demon dimbulb so it figures.

Yeah. You claim the wasp is to blame for all the
worlds ills, based on your ignorance of wasps.

Andy
--

"No, you claim the magpie is to blame for all the
worlds ills, based on your ignorance of magpies."

Old 08-09-2003, 07:45 PM
David Rance

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Andy Spragg wrote:

^ Was there a need to destroy them? Were they causing annoyance?
^
^ Are you kidding? I had to put wasp traps up before I could gather my
^ grapes. They sucked a goodly proportion dry. Wretched creatures!
^
^ Liar, and a demon dimbulb so it figures.

Yeah. You claim the wasp is to blame for all the
worlds ills, based on your ignorance of wasps.

Considering I watched the wasps actually doing it for several days
before I acted there wasn't much doubt, I assure you. They didn't eat my
plums this year because there weren't any, but normally they do.

But still, if you and your friend are not going to be convinced I'm not
wasting time on you! Maybe you're a wasp groupie! :-)

Old 08-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Chris Hogg

wrote:

I found a wasps nest in my paddock. It was a hole in the ground about 1ft
across and the same deep full of wasps. I managed to destroy most of them
but still have a number left. Any ides on removal would be much appreciated.

Thanks Neil

At this time of year, a waste of your time and effort. In a few weeks
they'll all be dead bar a new queen or two (worker wasps all die off
in the autumn), and they'll be hibernating somewhere else and won't
return to the old nest site.

--
Chris

Old 09-09-2003, 12:11 AM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:34:15 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

Considering I watched the wasps actually doing it for several days
before I acted there wasn't much doubt, I assure you. They didn't eat my
plums this year because there weren't any, but normally they do.

I'm with you there - with more than a couple of dozen Victoria plums
trees out back I'm painfully ( literally ) aware of how the little
buggers descend on the crop.
Initially I thought that they'd be happy to feed on the droppage (
they weren't ), and then I wondered whether this might be attracting
more wasps - so I tried keeping the ground clear.
No bloody change.
And don't they get arsey when the crop's finished!

Complete and utter failure of the crop this year.
Normally it runs in two year cycles - last year was a bumper year, so
I was half expecting a dismal year.... but I'm hard put to find more
than a dozen decent plums altogether.

But still, if you and your friend are not going to be convinced I'm not
wasting time on you! Maybe you're a wasp groupie! :-)

As good a euphemism as any

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Mary Fisher

news
In message , Neil Cooper
writes
I found a wasps nest in my paddock. It was a hole in the ground about 1ft
across and the same deep full of wasps. I managed to destroy most of them
but still have a number left. Any ides on removal would be much

appreciated.

Was there a need to destroy them? Were they causing annoyance? Wasps are
one of nature's scavengers. Generally, unless they perceive threat they
won't attack you. I have gardened next to wasps without problem.

Well said.

They won't be around long.

Mary

WAsps, wasps and more wasps Broadback United Kingdom 69 09-08-2004 09:57 AM
[OT] Wasps. Help needed Simon Avery United Kingdom 0 11-09-2003 12:05 PM
the truth about wasps...and contrition Edible Gardening 0 08-05-2003 10:20 PM
Ground Wasps Lar Gardening 2 01-05-2003 05:44 AM
Wasps nest in the attic Peter Crosland United Kingdom 30 07-12-2002 07:56 PM