Old 11-09-2003, 02:02 PM
John Towill

Default Removing hawthorn hedging.

I wish to remove a few feet of hawthorn hedging and replace with fencing.
The problem is that the hedge trunks support shoring which keeps up my
neighbours land. Sloping from 18 to 30 inches over about 10 feet.
I've posted to UK.d-i-y for possible resolutions, but my question to this
group is if I cut the hedge to ground level will it re-grow? If so is there
any way to remove the hedge to ground level and stop re-growth without root
removal?
TIA
John T

Old 11-09-2003, 11:17 PM
DaveDay34

I've posted to UK.d-i-y for possible resolutions, but my question to this
group is if I cut the hedge to ground level will it re-grow? If so is there
any way to remove the hedge to ground level and stop re-growth without root
removal?
TIA
John T

Cut to ground level using a saw/felling axe, or something similar/appropriate.
Any new growth that I presume you don't want can be knocked back by using a
Glyphosate based weedkiller.

Dave.