Old 30-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Broadback

Default Removing hawthorn hedging

Sadly it is looking as though I shall have to remove a hawthorn hedge.
If I cut it out at the roots will it die, or do I need to grub the roots
out as well?
--
All replies to this email address are deleted on receipt.

Common sense, not common market.
Old 30-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Sadly it is looking as though I shall have to remove a hawthorn hedge.
If I cut it out at the roots will it die, or do I need to grub the roots
out as well?

It will regrow from the roots.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 30-07-2005, 11:37 PM
cineman

Tie a rope around base, soak the soil around the roots very well, tie other
end of rope to car and drive off slowly.
Unless the hawthorn is very tall of course.

regards
Cineman
West Mids

Old 31-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Mike Lyle

cineman wrote:
Tie a rope around base, soak the soil around the roots very well,

tie
other end of rope to car and drive off slowly.
Unless the hawthorn is very tall of course.

[...]

As a matter of interest, have you tried the method? I did once, with
a very small goat willow, about an inch and a half in diameter. All I
got was wheelspin.

--
Mike.

Old 31-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Peter Stockdale

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
cineman wrote:
Tie a rope around base, soak the soil around the roots very well,

tie
other end of rope to car and drive off slowly.
Unless the hawthorn is very tall of course.

[...]

As a matter of interest, have you tried the method? I did once, with
a very small goat willow, about an inch and a half in diameter. All I
got was wheelspin.

--
Mike.

I would think you have to employ the right sort of car.
One of my friends used to refer to his series 2 landrover as a car.

That would stand a more than evens chance of success.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 31-07-2005, 01:06 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
cineman wrote:

Tie a rope around base, soak the soil around the roots very well,

tie
other end of rope to car and drive off slowly.
Unless the hawthorn is very tall of course.

[...]

As a matter of interest, have you tried the method? I did once, with
a very small goat willow, about an inch and a half in diameter. All I
got was wheelspin.

I have too, with a Fordson Power Major, and all *I* got was wheelspin.