Old 16-09-2003, 01:46 PM
Pam Moore

Default Grape vine recommendations

Recommendations please for an outdoor vine to grow up a pergola and
produce edible grapes, reliably.
This is for my daughter who lives in Gloucestershire. The pergola has
sun most of the day.

BTW; my vine on my allotment did not produce any flowers this year.
Any deas why. I was waiting for flowers then fruit and then to prune
it back once fruit was set. Not one flower appeared. So mid August I
cut it back. What now? 2 clusters of fruit!!! Sod's Law?

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Tumbleweed

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Recommendations please for an outdoor vine to grow up a pergola and
produce edible grapes, reliably.
This is for my daughter who lives in Gloucestershire. The pergola has
sun most of the day.

BTW; my vine on my allotment did not produce any flowers this year.
Any deas why. I was waiting for flowers then fruit and then to prune
it back once fruit was set. Not one flower appeared. So mid August I
cut it back. What now? 2 clusters of fruit!!! Sod's Law?

Pam in Bristol

My recommendation is to make sure its seedless. I shall be moving my single
vine elsewhere and buying a seedless variety.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 17-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

BTW; my vine on my allotment did not produce any flowers this year.
Any deas why. I was waiting for flowers then fruit and then to prune
it back once fruit was set. Not one flower appeared. So mid August I
cut it back. What now? 2 clusters of fruit!!! Sod's Law?

Sounds more like a miracle to me.

--
Rusty Hinge
No m'lud, it wasn't a sneg. My joints creak.
Old 18-09-2003, 10:44 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Recommendations please for an outdoor vine to grow up a pergola and
produce edible grapes, reliably.
This is for my daughter who lives in Gloucestershire. The pergola has
sun most of the day.

Black Hamburgh - sold by my local Notcutts as a foliage plant but grows
vigorously and produces plenty of grapes.
These are not like the ones you buy in the shop - much smaller - but
distinctly edible.
[Allegedly produces a much finer crop in a greenhouse]
Don't buy a winemaking grape unless you want to make wine - the vines I have
(survivor of four plus cuttings) produce a reasonable number of white grapes
but they are small and each has a huge pip - so not good for eating.

HTH
Dave R

Old 18-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:41:55 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

Black Hamburgh - sold by my local Notcutts as a foliage plant but grows
vigorously and produces plenty of grapes.
These are not like the ones you buy in the shop - much smaller - but
distinctly edible.

Thanks David
Black Hamburg is the one I have on my allotment, and it only produces
(When it does!) fruit the size of blackcurrants and pippy! This is
the one which didn't flower at all this year, until NOW!

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

wrote:

Black Hamburgh - sold by my local Notcutts as a foliage plant but grows
vigorously and produces plenty of grapes.
These are not like the ones you buy in the shop - much smaller - but
distinctly edible.

Thanks David
Black Hamburg is the one I have on my allotment, and it only produces
(When it does!) fruit the size of blackcurrants and pippy! This is
the one which didn't flower at all this year, until NOW!

When I was an anklebiter we moved to a new house with an acre of garden,
which had been pretty well laid out, and provided with a lot of
features.

Before the war there had been fully-functioning features, to a greater
or lesser extent surviving until 1950, when we bought the house. There
had been a tennis court: the surrounding netting had gone, but the net
posts, net, white-line marker remained. There had been a bowling green
which had retired, leaving a summer-house thatched with reed, two
shiplap garages, one of which had a potting shed on the end, about
thirty-six fruit trees and a lot of other more ornamental things.

I was given the potting shed and a thicket outside it as my private
territory. Amongst this thicket was a black Hamburg vine, and later, I
discovered that there had been a greenhouse there. I put some of the old
tubular tennis court surround poles in and lashed crosspieces along, and
grew the vine along it.

I knew nothing about pruning vines then, but in a good year it cropped
well, until a nearby sycamore tree overshadowed it and put paid to that.

The grapes were small, and full of seed, but very sweet and flavoursome
if they did ripen. One year (when I was about 12 or 13) I made a gallon
of wine with them, and it was really rather good. Well, I thought so
then, and we weren't unused to having a bottle of wine with Sunday
lunch, so I did have a datum.

When the parents retired they bought a smaller place with - oo-er! -
about seven acres. A greenhouse was put up, and a Black Hamburg planted.
(Outide, where it should be!)

This was kept properly pruned and produced large quantities of good
sized grapes.

Nothing the matter with Black Hamburg - I've just bought one to grow up
the red-brick south-facing gable end of my house.

Pic prior to buying property on:
http://www.users/zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/hsefront.jpg - the box on the side
is where the roofgarden is going. Fig tree in a bath.....

Old 18-09-2003, 04:32 PM
David Rance

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Pam Moore wrote:

Black Hamburg is the one I have on my allotment, and it only produces
(When it does!) fruit the size of blackcurrants and pippy! This is
the one which didn't flower at all this year, until NOW!

Black grapes won't do really well in the UK unless they're under glass.
Best to keep to white.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 18-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Ron Clark

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:38:05 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

(Outide, where it should be!)

This was kept properly pruned and produced large quantities of good
sized grapes.

Nothing the matter with Black Hamburg - I've just bought one to grow up
the red-brick south-facing gable end of my house.

Pic prior to buying property on:
http://www.users/zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/hsefront.jpg - the box on the side
is where the roofgarden is going. Fig tree in a bath.....

This page cannot be displayed

http://www.users/zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/hsefront.jpg

--
®óñ© © ²°°³
Old 18-09-2003, 06:32 PM
David W.E. Roberts

wrote:

Black Hamburgh - sold by my local Notcutts as a foliage plant but grows
vigorously and produces plenty of grapes.
These are not like the ones you buy in the shop - much smaller - but
distinctly edible.

Thanks David
Black Hamburg is the one I have on my allotment, and it only produces
(When it does!) fruit the size of blackcurrants and pippy! This is
the one which didn't flower at all this year, until NOW!

Pam in Bristol

Well whip me with a courgette for a fool.
Just checked the label and it is in fact Brant.
Loads of grapes, most just ripening, but those in full sun seem to be
mildewed whereas those in shade look fine (possibly because they set later).

I bought two - the one in the pot by the house on the south facing wall
succumbed to the dreaded vine weevil but the one in the ground by the north
facing fence has thrived and is now going rampant over our pergola.

David
searching for his remaining brain cell in Suffolk :-(

Old 18-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Ron Clark contains these words:

This page cannot be displayed

http://www.users/zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/hsefront.jpg

Oops, sorry: slashed in the wrong place innit.

Old 18-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Ron Clark

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:33:53 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from Ron Clark contains these words:

This page cannot be displayed

http://www.users/zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/hsefront.jpg

Oops, sorry: slashed in the wrong place innit.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/hsefront.jpg

Now that's better. Nice

--
®óñ© © ²°°³

Old 18-09-2003, 11:43 PM

David Rance writes:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Pam Moore wrote:

Black Hamburg is the one I have on my allotment, and it only produces
(When it does!) fruit the size of blackcurrants and pippy! This is
the one which didn't flower at all this year, until NOW!

Black grapes won't do really well in the UK unless they're under
glass. Best to keep to white.

Looks at the Black Hamburg vine on the back wall of the house...

Looks at the 16kg of grapes picked last weekend...

I may be forced to disagree with you there. :-)

Anthony