Old 18-09-2003, 09:28 PM
Plum

Default what's this beastie?

Today I found a bright green beetle-type insect I'd never seen before. It
was about half an inch long, chunky but rather angular, with a black spot on
its rear end. Does anybody recognise it from this description?

Julia in Warwickshire

Old 18-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Pickle

"Plum" wrote in message
Today I found a bright green beetle-type insect I'd never seen before. It
was about half an inch long, chunky but rather angular, with a black spot

on
its rear end. Does anybody recognise it from this description?

Julia in Warwickshire

Do a google image search for "green shield bug"
Is that it?
Lisa

Old 18-09-2003, 10:18 PM
ned

Plum wrote:
Today I found a bright green beetle-type insect I'd never seen
before. It was about half an inch long, chunky but rather angular,
with a black spot on its rear end. Does anybody recognise it from
this description?

' It was about half an inch long, chunky but rather angular,'
......... sounds like a shield bug.
Strictly, not a beetle but a true 'bug'.
Many varieties, which go through several maturity changes (instars),
all of which can be differently marked. So an identification might be
difficult.
Look up 'Shield bug' on Google Images and see if anything looks
similar.
...... or, there is a green shield bug on
http://www.abcHood.com/exnats

If you found it on a particular plant, that might help.

--
ned

Old 19-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Plum

You clever, clever people you.

Yes, it's a Green Shield Bug (not technically a beetle, apparently). The
reason I'd never seen it before is that I grew up in Scotland, where the GSB
is practically unknown, I gather.

Thanks for your help.

Julia in Warwickshire

Old 19-09-2003, 11:48 PM
ned

Plum wrote:
You clever, clever people you.

Yes, it's a Green Shield Bug (not technically a beetle, apparently).
The reason I'd never seen it before is that I grew up in Scotland,
where the GSB is practically unknown, I gather.

......... Wouldn't want this bugging you. ;-)

--
ned

ID the beastie? K United Kingdom 3 27-06-2006 12:50 PM
What is this beastie? Small Red Robin United Kingdom 4 14-05-2006 02:47 PM
what's this beastie? Plum United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 09:28 PM
Water butt beastie Brian Watson United Kingdom 9 03-07-2003 11:32 PM
Water butt beastie Brian Watson Ponds 12 03-07-2003 11:32 PM