Old 25-09-2003, 02:22 PM
jdowling

Default how much round up to use?

Can someone advise how much round up to use to kill a few reappearing weeds?
Basically I use a knapsack sprayer which holds approx 2- 3 gallons. I use
round up from the container which I think is either 500 or 1000ml . I
generally throw 2 - 3 of these round up container capfuls to the knapsack.
Am I using too much / too little? The weeds concerned are mainly grasses
growing through a stone/gravel lane.

TIA

Old 25-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"jdowling" wrote in message
Can someone advise how much round up to use to kill a few reappearing

weeds?
Basically I use a knapsack sprayer which holds approx 2- 3 gallons. I use
round up from the container which I think is either 500 or 1000ml . I
generally throw 2 - 3 of these round up container capfuls to the knapsack.
Am I using too much / too little? The weeds concerned are mainly grasses
growing through a stone/gravel lane.

Read the information on the bottle or the packaging.

Franz

Old 25-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:
| "jdowling" wrote in message
| Can someone advise how much round up to use to kill a few reappearing
| weeds?
| Basically I use a knapsack sprayer which holds approx 2- 3 gallons. I use
| round up from the container which I think is either 500 or 1000ml . I
| generally throw 2 - 3 of these round up container capfuls to the knapsack.
| Am I using too much / too little? The weeds concerned are mainly grasses
| growing through a stone/gravel lane.
|
| Read the information on the bottle or the packaging.

And then use half to two thirds as much ....

Seriously, too weak works better than too strong, and most people's
experience is that the bottle's recommendations are a bit too strong.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Chris R. Lee

"Nick Maclaren" a écrit dans le message de news:

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:
| "jdowling" wrote in message
| Can someone advise how much round up to use to kill a few reappearing
| weeds?
| Basically I use a knapsack sprayer which holds approx 2- 3 gallons. I

use
| round up from the container which I think is either 500 or 1000ml . I
| generally throw 2 - 3 of these round up container capfuls to the

knapsack.
| Am I using too much / too little? The weeds concerned are mainly

grasses
| growing through a stone/gravel lane.
|
| Read the information on the bottle or the packaging.

And then use half to two thirds as much ....

Seriously, too weak works better than too strong, and most people's
experience is that the bottle's recommendations are a bit too strong.

Yes, if you're after couch grass and suchlike, you want the stuff to work
its way down before you kill off what's on top. In fact, the idea is to
weaken the plant without bumping it off immediately, hence the advice to dig
after waiting 3 weks or so.

Regards

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Chris R. Lee wrote:

| Read the information on the bottle or the packaging.

And then use half to two thirds as much ....

Seriously, too weak works better than too strong, and most people's
experience is that the bottle's recommendations are a bit too strong.

Yes, if you're after couch grass and suchlike, you want the stuff to work
its way down before you kill off what's on top. In fact, the idea is to
weaken the plant without bumping it off immediately, hence the advice to dig
after waiting 3 weks or so.

Actually, it is more important for ground elder and bindweed. Couch
grass is killed by the recommended strength, but those two merely
have their tops burnt off. You really DO need to use less than the
recommended strength for them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-09-2003, 07:05 PM
Rod Craddock

jdowling wrote:
Can someone advise how much round up to use to kill a few reappearing weeds?
Basically I use a knapsack sprayer which holds approx 2- 3 gallons. I use
round up from the container which I think is either 500 or 1000ml . I
generally throw 2 - 3 of these round up container capfuls to the knapsack.
Am I using too much / too little? The weeds concerned are mainly grasses
growing through a stone/gravel lane.

TIA

Read the label and learn to calibrate your sprayer.

Rod

Old 29-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod Craddock
[b]jdowling wrote:[color=blue]
Can someone advise how much round up to use to kill a few reappearing weeds?
Basically I use a knapsack sprayer which holds approx 2- 3 gallons. I use
round up from the container which I think is either 500 or 1000ml . I
generally throw 2 - 3 of these round up container capfuls to the knapsack.
Am I using too much / too little? The weeds concerned are mainly grasses
growing through a stone/gravel lane.

TIA
I find weed killers aren't the best way to remove weeds from under gravel and in gaps you don't want to grow anything. I just pour salt over my gravel drive, after a few application you won't be seeing any more weeds for ages. The only thing you must be careful of is it being washed in to the ground next to it, I use several light applications rather than dumping a ton on at once.