GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Garden Office Building? What do you recommend? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/44198-garden-office-building-what-do-you-recommend.html)

William.R.Reisen 27-09-2003 05:32 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a garden office. I would be using this
building all year round working in it most days so needs to be well
insulated so the cold doesn't get at me and also needs to not get too
hot in the summertime. Also there would be about 6k of computer
equipment in there so needs to be as secure as possible. Because most
of my work is done on computers I don't want huge swathes of glass
windows and doors as I find too much light getting in stops me from
seeing the screen clearly due to reflections. I'm thinking of one with
approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions for a vendor that
fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against putting it
together myself.

Thanks.

Pam Moore 27-09-2003 07:05 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

On 27 Sep 2003 09:25:05 -0700, (William.R.Reisen)
wrote:

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a garden office.

Alan Titchmarsh had such a thing in his Barleywood garden. Any way of
finding out what he had? I quite envied it.

Pam in Bristol

Kev 27-09-2003 08:22 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

(William.R.Reisen) wrote in
om:

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a garden office. I would be using this
building all year round working in it most days so needs to be well
insulated so the cold doesn't get at me and also needs to not get too
hot in the summertime. Also there would be about 6k of computer
equipment in there so needs to be as secure as possible. Because most
of my work is done on computers I don't want huge swathes of glass
windows and doors as I find too much light getting in stops me from
seeing the screen clearly due to reflections. I'm thinking of one with
approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions for a vendor that
fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against putting it
together myself.

Thanks.

I did this in a converted shed. I filled all the gaps in the walls then
lined the whole of the inside with rockwool, and covered over the top of
this with plywood. Did the same for the ceiling, running the rockwool
between the "joists" and covering over with plywood.

It worked well, it was fine to heat in the winter I had a little fan
heater that did the trick well. The shed was around 10' by 8'. The
main problem I had was the heat in the summer, it reched stupid
proportions, about 30 degrees. It was suggested to paint the roof with
siler felt seal to reflect the heat, but I never got round to that.

For power I ran cable down the garden and had a seperate consumer unit
in the shed, which after some discussion was decided the best way to do
it, with an isdolator indoors where it ran from the main CU.

I had a good proportion of computer equpiment in there although not as
much as you, but it did get cold overnight, due to not having a proper
heater in there. If you go this route I would suggest putting in a
proper wall heater that can run overnight to take the chill off if it
drops too low.

Saved space in the house though and was great for escaping SWMBO!!

007 27-09-2003 09:42 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"Kev" wrote in message
. 254.254...
[...]

A 2ft Tubular Heater works fine. 60 watts per foot

Saved space in the house though and was great for escaping SWMBO!!

Mary Fisher 27-09-2003 10:14 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

Saved space in the house though and was great for escaping SWMBO!!

I bet she was relieved too.

Mary

John Hill 27-09-2003 10:32 PM

wrote:

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a garden office. I would be using this
building all year round working in it most days so needs to be well
insulated so the cold doesn't get at me and also needs to not get too
hot in the summertime. Also there would be about 6k of computer
equipment in there so needs to be as secure as possible. Because most
of my work is done on computers I don't want huge swathes of glass
windows and doors as I find too much light getting in stops me from
seeing the screen clearly due to reflections. I'm thinking of one with
approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions for a vendor that
fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against putting it
together myself.

Thanks.

Have a look at Henley Offices in Ipswich IIRC

JH

Steve Firth 27-09-2003 10:32 PM

William.R.Reisen wrote:

I'm thinking of one with approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions
for a vendor that fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against
putting it together myself.

Much depends on how much dosh you have. I like English Heritage
buildings which are framed in green oak. If you want to, you can lay the
f=oundation and build the dwarf wall, they install the frame then you
finish off. They'll do as much or as little as you want.

I've been considering buying an UnoPiu garden office. they're extremely
well made and shipped as a flat pack. Not sure if they are available
here yet but very popular in Germany and Italy.

--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.

Andrew Heggie 27-09-2003 11:02 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:28:28 +0100, (Steve
Firth) wrote:

I've been considering buying an UnoPiu garden office. they're extremely
well made and shipped as a flat pack. Not sure if they are available
here yet but very popular in Germany and Italy.

One of the chaps I work for imported a Norwegian chalet as an office
in his Sussex garden. It was built by slotting together quite thick
(30mm+) pre shaped softwood planks. It came complete with a mezzanine
for sleeping quarters, though to keep the profile low he omitted the
last 50cm of walls, using the mezzanine as storage.

It is quite well insulated and the only heating he used was a fan
heater last year, and then only occasionally. The wooden floor extends
outside to make a veranda. Apparently they are popular as cabins for
weekenders in Norway, where the population apparently migrates to the
coast in summer.

AJH

MSC 28-09-2003 04:24 AM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:49:58 +0100, Andrew Heggie
wrote:

One of the chaps I work for imported a Norwegian chalet as an office
in his Sussex garden. It was built by slotting together quite thick
(30mm+) pre shaped softwood planks. It came complete with a mezzanine
for sleeping quarters, though to keep the profile low he omitted the
last 50cm of walls, using the mezzanine as storage.

It sounds a bit like this from B&Q

http://www.diy.com/bq/product/produc...CATID=1829 64

(careful of any line breaks) although I cant help thinking 5 grand
would buy an awful lot of concrete and bricks!

Mike

Sad Sid 28-09-2003 08:14 AM

"Kev" wrote in message
. 254.254...
(William.R.Reisen) wrote in
om:

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a garden office.

I've just finished doing the same job - but using ordinary building
materials, mostly bought second-hand via Adtrader. My 16ft x 10ft office
cost 1200ukp and looks great.

It's built of breeze blocks, rendered and painted. The roof is properly
tiled with slates and terracotta ridge tiles. Two double glazed UPVC windows
and a pair of Wickes UPVC french doors let in plenty of light and fresh air.
Second hand items:
Roof trusses £100
Windows £60
Slates £180
Remainder: 6 metres ready-mix £240. Blocks £264. French doors £199. Ridge
tiles £54. Sand. cement & timber made up the balance.

I've added a false chimney for birds to nest in and a bit of trellis &
planting to blend it all in. Now the wife is threatening to make a take-over
bid......

I did all the work myself - never done anuthing like it before but it all
came out perfectly. It has taken just over three months and the only tough
bits were digging out the footings and laying the blocks up the apex of the
roof. If you don't have the time, try advertising for a pensioner to do it
for you!

David Hill 28-09-2003 08:42 AM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"......My 16ft x 10ft office cost 1200ukp and looks great..........."

What ever happened to the good old British £ ?
This is a UK group after all.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Colin Wilson 28-09-2003 10:32 AM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"......My 16ft x 10ft office cost 1200ukp and looks great..........."
What ever happened to the good old British =A3 ?
This is a UK group after all.

Not all newsreaders seem to display them properly, so ukp is a work-
around :-}

--=20

Tim Ward 28-09-2003 10:32 AM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
"......My 16ft x 10ft office cost 1200ukp and looks great..........."
What ever happened to the good old British £ ?
This is a UK group after all.

Not all newsreaders seem to display them properly, so ukp is a work-
around :-}

But if you feel the need for such a workaround why not use the standard
code? Why invent something non-standard that leaves people having to work
out what it means? Or is this a deliberate political statement about the
status of Northern Ireland?

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Brett Ward Ltd - www.brettward.co.uk

Mary Fisher 28-09-2003 11:12 AM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

If you don't have the time, try advertising for a pensioner to do it
for you!

You think pensioners have time to spare???????

You wait!

Mary

Stephen Kellett 28-09-2003 11:22 AM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

In message , Tim Ward
writes
out what it means? Or is this a deliberate political statement about the
status of Northern Ireland?

What?
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk

JennyC 28-09-2003 11:23 AM

"William.R.Reisen" wrote in message
[...]

My cousin has a two of those seagoing containers in his garden to
house his collection of antique motorcycles and the workshop that goes
with them.

They are lined with insulation material behind plywood (orsomesuch
material). Nice and warm and no windows at all. Can be locked up tight
with padlocks etc.

I've no idea where he got them from, and you'd need to be able to get
in delivered with a crane.

Jenny

- 28-09-2003 11:33 AM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

In article , JennyC
writes
I've no idea where he got them from,

Fell off the back of a lorry??

An interesting idea though, I have worked in a few for short periods and
although there was electric lighting I missed having a window or two.
--
-- Bill

John Rumm 28-09-2003 11:33 AM

Kev wrote:

heater in there. If you go this route I would suggest putting in a
proper wall heater that can run overnight to take the chill off if it
drops too low.

a couple hundred watts of computer left running (with the monitor turned
off) would do the job nicely ;-)

(and put less strain on the hard drive by not power cycling it every day)

--
Cheers,

John.

JennyC 28-09-2003 11:33 AM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"-" wrote in message
In article , JennyC
writes
I've no idea where he got them from,

Fell off the back of a lorry??

Well it fell right side up and inbetween the barn and the woodpile
:~))))))

An interesting idea though, I have worked in a few for short periods

and
although there was electric lighting I missed having a window or

two.
-- Bill

I'd imagine you could cut windows in the side if so desired. My cousin
likes to hide from his wife............:~))

Jenny

Mary Fisher 28-09-2003 11:42 AM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

My cousin has a two of those seagoing containers in his garden to
house his collection of antique motorcycles and the workshop that goes
with them.

Oh yes - that reminds me of lorry backs, the refrigeration units would be
well insulated.

Our daughter has several on her farm, there are plenty of 'dead lorry backs'
depots around. Look in Yellow pages or Google for one near you.

Mary

Steve Firth 28-09-2003 12:12 PM

David Hill wrote:

What ever happened to the good old British £ ?

News only guarantees transmission of 7 bit ASCII characters. The pound
sign is an 8-bit ASCII character and will be filtered out by some news
servers. The same goes for all those idiots that think it's clever to
put characters from the extended Windows character set into their posts.
Some servers will strip the characters and replace them with blanks,
some sill simply drop that particular post on the floor.

Since you're a gardener, the best response is probably "there, there,
don't you worry it's a bit technical."

--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.

Tim Ward 28-09-2003 12:12 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"Stephen Kellett" wrote in message
In message , Tim Ward
writes
out what it means? Or is this a deliberate political statement about the
status of Northern Ireland?

What?

I'm trying to work out why someone should invent "UKP" in preference to
using the ISO standard "GBP". That was the only explanation I could come up
with, Northern Ireland being in UK but not in GB, I thought that perhaps
someone who wanted to make a political statement about Northern Ireland
being part of the UK would object to using "GBP". Can you think of any other
reason for inventing "UKP"?

Bob Eager 28-09-2003 12:33 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 11:04:55 UTC, "Tim Ward"
wrote:

I'm trying to work out why someone should invent "UKP" in preference to
using the ISO standard "GBP".

1) I saw it in use first
2) It's more accurate
3) Stuff ISO - standards committees are often a waste of time

Well, you did ask!

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Owain 28-09-2003 02:02 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"William.R.Reisen" wrote
| I am thinking about getting a garden office. I would be using this
| building all year round working in it most days so needs to be well
| insulated so the cold doesn't get at me and also needs to not get too
| hot in the summertime. Also there would be about 6k of computer
| equipment in there so needs to be as secure as possible. Because most
| of my work is done on computers I don't want huge swathes of glass
| windows and doors as I find too much light getting in stops me from
| seeing the screen clearly due to reflections. I'm thinking of one with
| approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions for a vendor that
| fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against putting it
| together myself.

You could consider something like an Omar Lodge, which can be built to
transportable or B.Regs standards. Not Cheap Though. omar.co.uk and ask for
a custom quote because the nearest thing on the website is probably a 6
bedroom Leisure Lodge which is probably slight overkill.

Owain

IMM 28-09-2003 03:02 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
William.R.Reisen wrote:

I'm thinking of one with approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any

suggestions
for a vendor that fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not

against
putting it together myself.

Much depends on how much dosh you have. I like English Heritage
buildings which are framed in green oak.

Is this a company? Do they have a web site?

---

Stephen Kellett 28-09-2003 03:02 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

In message , Tim Ward
writes
out what it means? Or is this a deliberate political statement about the
status of Northern Ireland?

What?

I'm trying to work out why someone should invent "UKP" in preference to
using the ISO standard "GBP". That was the only explanation I could come up
with, Northern Ireland being in UK but not in GB, I thought that perhaps
someone who wanted to make a political statement about Northern Ireland
being part of the UK would object to using "GBP". Can you think of any other
reason for inventing "UKP"?

Good grief Tim, you are over-analysing way too much. I've seen UKP used
before, it hasn't been invented to make a political stand.

Taking your logic a stage further... When you install Windows it asks
you for configuration information. Country options include "United
Kingdom" not "Great Britain". Are Microsoft making a political statement
about Northern Ireland with their Windows Installation procedure? Using
the logic you provide above, you'd have to conclude they are.

IMM 28-09-2003 03:02 PM

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

But they look awfull, unless you put a wood frame around and clad it. Which
may be feasible.

---

Huge 28-09-2003 03:12 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"Owain" writes:
"William.R.Reisen" wrote
| I am thinking about getting a garden office. I would be using this
| building all year round working in it most days so needs to be well
| insulated so the cold doesn't get at me and also needs to not get too
| hot in the summertime. Also there would be about 6k of computer
| equipment in there so needs to be as secure as possible. Because most
| of my work is done on computers I don't want huge swathes of glass
| windows and doors as I find too much light getting in stops me from
| seeing the screen clearly due to reflections. I'm thinking of one with
| approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions for a vendor that
| fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against putting it
| together myself.

You could consider something like an Omar Lodge, which can be built to
transportable or B.Regs standards. Not Cheap Though. omar.co.uk and ask for
a custom quote because the nearest thing on the website is probably a 6
bedroom Leisure Lodge which is probably slight overkill.

A Google search for "second hand portakabin" yields many interesting looking
hits

Huge 28-09-2003 03:12 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"Bob Eager" writes:

[8 lines snipped]

3) Stuff ISO - standards committees are often a waste of time

That'll be why your internet connection works, will it?

Bob Eager 28-09-2003 03:22 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:54:19 UTC, (Huge) wrote:

"Bob Eager" writes:

[8 lines snipped]

3) Stuff ISO - standards committees are often a waste of time

That'll be why your internet connection works, will it?

Exactly. Doesn't use the ISO seven-layer model, but something invented
long before by practitioners, not ISO...I had that in mind when I said
it.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Tim Ward 28-09-2003 04:02 PM

[...]

But someone must have invented it for some reason.

It makes no sense to go round inventing currency codes when there are
already perfectly good standard ones - write an invented private one of your
own on a bank document, for example, and it won't work. I guess people do
rather less of this in everyday life now that cash cards have replaced
Eurocheques, so not everybody carries the leaflet with the codes in their
wallet any more, but the things are still in common enough usage that one
can be expected to know the code for one's own currency!

So, despite the existence of "GBP" which has unambiguous meaning worldwide
on any documents written in any language, someone goes and invents "UKP",
which on the day they invented it meant nothing to anybody other than
themselves. Why??

Jim Lawton 28-09-2003 04:32 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:52:01 +0100, "Tim Ward" wrote:

snip

So, despite the existence of "GBP" which has unambiguous meaning worldwide
on any documents written in any language, someone goes and invents "UKP",
which on the day they invented it meant nothing to anybody other than
themselves.

UKPE-BAYOBIRI: a language of Nigeria
SIL code: UKP

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=UKP

:-) J

Why??

Jim Ley 28-09-2003 04:32 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:04:55 +0100, "Tim Ward"
wrote:

I'm trying to work out why someone should invent "UKP" in preference to
using the ISO standard "GBP".

Because the ISO are looking to charge for use of such codes, and it's
not worth the risking the licensing costs?

Jim.

David Hill 28-09-2003 04:42 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"..........Some servers will strip the Some servers will strip the
characters and replace them with blanks,
some sill simply drop that particular post on the floor.

Since you're a gardener, the best response is probably "there, there,
don't you worry it's a bit technical."

Pity they don't strip sarcastic characters, especially those that cant even
spell but rely totally on spell checker........."some sill simply" Must be
nice to be so intelligent.

And for your information to be a modern "Gardener " you have to be a
builder, a plumber, a gas fitter, a chemist, a botanist, an entomologist and
be willing to work up to 15 hours a day in season and 7 days a week.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

David Hill 28-09-2003 04:42 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"...... I am thinking about getting a garden office......"

I do hope you look into the requirements regarding planning permission with
your local council

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Mary Fisher 28-09-2003 05:02 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

Pity they don't strip sarcastic characters, especially those that cant

even
spell but rely totally on spell checker........."some sill simply" Must

be
nice to be so intelligent.

Er, David, be careful.

You omitted an apostrophe in "can't". Also, if referring to living people
you'd have been better saying, "those who" rather than "those that".

Anyone can make a typo.

Mary

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Steve Firth 28-09-2003 06:02 PM

David Hill wrote:

"..........Some servers will strip the Some servers will strip the
characters and replace them with blanks,
some sill simply drop that particular post on the floor.

That's a misquote, I didn't type "Some servers will strip the" twice. My
typo is noted.

Since you're a gardener, the best response is probably "there, there,
don't you worry it's a bit technical."

Pity they don't strip sarcastic characters, especially those that cant even
spell but rely totally on spell checker........."some sill simply" Must be
nice to be so intelligent.

"can't" and that IMO is a rather more serious error than a typo. I don't
use a spell checker, your clairvoyance appears to be on the wane.

And for your information to be a modern "Gardener " you have to be a
builder, a plumber, a gas fitter, a chemist, a botanist, an entomologist and
be willing to work up to 15 hours a day in season and 7 days a week.

But you don't have to be particularly good at any of those trades. Nor
particularly informed before going off on a rant, it seems. Oh well, off
you go Dirty Fingered Sid, back to pricking out behind the potting shed.

--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.

Tim Denning 28-09-2003 08:03 PM

Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

snip
My cousin has a two of those seagoing containers in his garden to
house his collection of antique motorcycles and the workshop that
goes with them.

But they look awfull, unless you put a wood frame around and clad it.
Which may be feasible.

---

Hi

As has been mentioned planning permision would more than likely be required,
I'd be wary though, if you stride into the planning office asking for
permission to build an office in the back garden then the answer will
probably be no. A garden room, studio or the like would probably be better
recieved.

With this in mind, lorry containers would probably require some window
dressing to make then acceptable. The prefab timber buildings are pretty
good these days as are the Border Oak http://www.borderoak.com/Garages.htm
type timber framed buildings, I guess it's down to asthetics and your budget
at the end of the day.

If you want some more info on highly insulated timber panel structures you
could try contacting a guy called John Hayden, I worked with him a few years
ago and he's branched out into constructing small garden rooms, he only
works in the old Avon county area, so is probably not in your area. He might
be able to offer some advice though. his mail is -

haydengardenrooms - you know what goes here - btopenworld.com

You could also try posting in alt.architecture but I warn you things can
lean towards the insane in there at times :-)

HTH

Tim