Old 28-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Mike and Yvonne

Default Tree Roots???

We are definitely not natural gardeners so any help here would be
appreciated.

We have recently had a tree chopped down in our garden and had the stump
removed. About 3 weeks later we noticed new 'plants' growing all over
the garden. We dug these up and thought nothing more of it. The same
thing happened again about 3 weeks later. Having dug a bit deeper it
seems that these 'plants' are growing from the roots of the tree that we
had cut down. I tried digging up these roots, but the more I dug the
more roots I found. It seems that our whole garden is a mesh of tree
roots and it is nigh on impossible for me to dig them up.

Does anyone know anyway that we can get rid of these roots without
having to break my back digging them all up individually? Can anyone
recommend any strong weed or root killers on the market that we could
use to do the job?

Thanks

Mike and Yvonne
Old 28-09-2003, 06:02 PM
bnd777

"Mike and Yvonne" wrote in message
52.50...
[...]

was it a cherry tree by chance ????
because you have the same problem we have after a cherry tree was cut down
and stump ground out in April ..........i would say that very careful
painting of each new shoot with Glyphosate gell type weedkiller should sort
it eventually

Old 28-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Mary Fisher

We are definitely not natural gardeners so any help here would be
appreciated.

We have recently had a tree chopped down in our garden and had the stump
removed. About 3 weeks later we noticed new 'plants' growing all over
the garden. We dug these up and thought nothing more of it. The same
thing happened again about 3 weeks later. Having dug a bit deeper it
seems that these 'plants' are growing from the roots of the tree that we
had cut down. I tried digging up these roots, but the more I dug the
more roots I found. It seems that our whole garden is a mesh of tree
roots and it is nigh on impossible for me to dig them up.

What type of tree was it?

Mary

Old 28-09-2003, 10:57 PM
Tumbleweed

[...]

If they are just growing in a lawn, keep mowing and they will eventually die
off.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 28-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message 0
from Mike and Yvonne contains these words:

We are definitely not natural gardeners so any help here would be
appreciated.

We have recently had a tree chopped down in our garden and had the stump
removed. About 3 weeks later we noticed new 'plants' growing all over
the garden. We dug these up and thought nothing more of it. The same
thing happened again about 3 weeks later. Having dug a bit deeper it
seems that these 'plants' are growing from the roots of the tree that we
had cut down. I tried digging up these roots, but the more I dug the
more roots I found. It seems that our whole garden is a mesh of tree
roots and it is nigh on impossible for me to dig them up.

Your tree was probably either poplar/aspen/cherry/plum/rhus, all of
which can sucker freely from distant roots when the tree is injured. The
person who cut it down should have treated the stump with poison then
left it some weeks or months, so that the roots would have chance to
absorb the poison and die before the stump was removed.

Now you don't have a convenient way to reach and kill the extensive
old roots. Digging up suckers will stimulate the old roots to produce
yet more suckers, pulling is better.

The solution is to keep pulling them up/off as fast as they appear,
including next spring and summer. This will eventually starve the old,
suckering root system to death. It's really important to do it often and
keep right on top of it, as every new leaf will sustain the growth of
new roots. You'll have to keep removing them until no more appear, and
advise any neighbours to do the same.

If the tree is rhus/sumach,(frondy leaves with furry stems) take care.
Contact can cause a skin allergy.

Janet.

Old 01-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Mike and Yvonne

Thanks for the advice guys. Not sure what type of tree it was (told you I
wasn't much of a gardener lol) but will try the weedkiller on the new
growths.

Cheers

Old 01-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Mike and Yvonne" contains these words:

Thanks for the advice guys. Not sure what type of tree it was (told you I
wasn't much of a gardener lol) but will try the weedkiller on the new
growths.

Unless I've missed a post, I don't think anyone suggested that!

Janet.

Old 01-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Anthony Anson

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Unless I've missed a post, I don't think anyone suggested that!

You must have missed a post.

The treatment of suckers with glyphosate was suggested.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:04 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Mike and Yvonne" contains these words:

Thanks for the advice guys. Not sure what type of tree it was (told you

wasn't much of a gardener lol) but will try the weedkiller on the new
growths.

Unless I've missed a post, I don't think anyone suggested that!

You have. See the post by bnd77 on 28/09

Franz

Old 03-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Mike and Yvonne" contains these words:

Thanks for the advice guys. Not sure what type of tree it was (told you

wasn't much of a gardener lol) but will try the weedkiller on the new
growths.

Unless I've missed a post, I don't think anyone suggested that!

You have. See the post by bnd77 on 28/09

Ah, that explains it. Killfile occupant.

Janet.

Old 04-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

[snip]

You have. See the post by bnd77 on 28/09

Ah, that explains it. Killfile occupant.

Killfiles are two-edged swords. I am scared of them.

Franz