Old 02-10-2003, 03:02 PM
martin

Default Bracken compost

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:32:25 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

Then I recommend what I used to do when I was ickle - go out with a
bucket and shovel and take home the hors d'offerings which steamed in
the road.

I do it now. There is always a small coal shovel and a poly bag in the
boot. But even here, in the Dales, horses are not all that prevalent
nowadays.

Sheepsh composts well.

Yes, but being distributed in smaller, widely spread packages, it is rather
tedious to collect significant amounts.

almost as bad as humming bird droppings :-)
--
Martin

Old 02-10-2003, 04:02 PM
martin

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:01:39 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Sheepsh composts well.

Yes, but being distributed in smaller, widely spread packages, it is

rather
tedious to collect significant amounts.

almost as bad as humming bird droppings :-)

{:-))

I was once spotted by a flock of about 2000 flamingos on a canal
holiday between Narbonne and Aigue Morte in the south of France.
--
Martin
Old 02-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Howard Neil

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

Sheepsh composts well.

Yes, but being distributed in smaller, widely spread packages, it is

rather
tedious to collect significant amounts.

My sheep droppings come in a handy ready made spreader which also doubles as
a baa mower. :-)

--
Howard Neil

Old 02-10-2003, 05:02 PM
martin

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 16:17:02 +0100, "Howard Neil" hneil@REMOVE TO
REPLY.co.uk wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

Sheepsh composts well.

Yes, but being distributed in smaller, widely spread packages, it is

rather
tedious to collect significant amounts.

My sheep droppings come in a handy ready made spreader which also doubles as
a baa mower. :-)

Poor old Baaaarbarah!
--
Martin

Old 02-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

Then I recommend what I used to do when I was ickle - go out with a
bucket and shovel and take home the hors d'offerings which steamed in
the road.

I do it now. There is always a small coal shovel and a poly bag in the
boot. But even here, in the Dales, horses are not all that prevalent
nowadays.

Sheepsh composts well.

Yes, but being distributed in smaller, widely spread packages, it is rather
tedious to collect significant amounts.

Crapit sweeper?

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 02-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

almost as bad as humming bird droppings :-)

And bird droppings can certainly hum......

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 04-10-2003, 12:00 AM
Franz Heymann

[...]

{:-) {:-)) {:-)))

Franz

Old 04-10-2003, 03:45 AM
ned

Franz Heymann wrote:
"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains
these words:

Then I recommend what I used to do when I was ickle - go out with

bucket and shovel and take home the hors d'offerings which

steamed
in the road.

I do it now. There is always a small coal shovel and a poly bag

in
the boot. But even here, in the Dales, horses are not all that
prevalent nowadays.

Sheepsh composts well.

Yes, but being distributed in smaller, widely spread packages, it is
rather tedious to collect significant amounts.

I can assure you that my herd of 3 (three) (reel-less lawnmowers)
produce sufficient from a 1 acre paddock to make the effort far from
'tedious'. A DEFRA source suggests that one can expect 5Kg of
droppings per sheep per day. One doesn't have to wait many days to be
knee deep in 'significant amounts'!

--
ned

Old 05-10-2003, 02:23 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "ned" contains these words:

Franz Heymann wrote:

Sheepsh composts well.

Yes, but being distributed in smaller, widely spread packages, it is
rather tedious to collect significant amounts.

I can assure you that my herd of 3 (three) (reel-less lawnmowers)
produce sufficient from a 1 acre paddock to make the effort far from
'tedious'. A DEFRA source suggests that one can expect 5Kg of
droppings per sheep per day. One doesn't have to wait many days to be
knee deep in 'significant amounts'!

I agree, Ned. Like most animals, sheep flocks will graze and litter in
one or several particular areas before moving on to others, so it's
convenient for gathering. I hop over the back fence armed with a hand
shovel and a 10 gallon bucket, and can fill it easily in a very few
minutes. Even fresh sheepshit has the advantage of being relatively dry
and light. Excellent stuff for the compost heap.

Today I began mining operations in a virgin pile of horse manure
behind some stables nearby. The ancient stuff is already composted and
looks like rich springy peat; about 6ft deep and completely odourless.

Janet.

Old 07-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Simon Avery

"Franz Heymann" wrote:

Hello Franz

FH I found a supplier of a compost based on bracken and horse
FH manure. The price is almost exactly twice as much as that
FH of ordinary peat based potting compost. Is this a rip-off?

Rarity increases price. Peat is easy to get hold of, bracken based
composts aren't.

Don't know of anyone using bracken as bedding for horses any more
(although it was widely used 50+ years ago), so presumably it's being
mixed up for just this job?

How to eradicate Bracken specialbeat Gardening 0 29-08-2013 10:16 PM
Bracken/Fern Colin Jackson United Kingdom 7 02-10-2011 10:26 PM
Bracken (again) hellomabel United Kingdom 9 21-04-2011 08:42 PM
Bracken harry United Kingdom 61 17-04-2011 02:08 PM
Bracken Fern? Raphanus Plant Science 4 25-08-2006 08:40 PM