Old 02-10-2003, 07:42 PM
DLee

Default Stale Pot soil?

Hi All

We have a couple of pots in our study, and in there we have young Japanese
maple planted this spring. They seem to be doing ok with new leaves coming
out..etc, but what we noticed is that compost soil in the pots are covered
with these green moldy stuff that you see on sea side rocks, and whenever I
come into study I can smell rotten staleness from these pots. Is this normal
or healthy, or should we do somthing about it? Could someone explain what is
happening here?

Thanks

Newbie gardener - Dan

Old 02-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Martin Sykes

"DLee" wrote in message
Hi All

We have a couple of pots in our study, and in there we have young Japanese
maple planted this spring. They seem to be doing ok with new leaves coming
out..etc, but what we noticed is that compost soil in the pots are covered
with these green moldy stuff that you see on sea side rocks, and whenever

come into study I can smell rotten staleness from these pots. Is this

normal
or healthy, or should we do somthing about it? Could someone explain what

is
happening here?

Thanks

Newbie gardener - Dan

The 'green stuff' sounds like liverwort or something similar so you may be
overwatering a bit but the easiest way to prevent it is to put a layer of
decorative stone as a mulch. It will keep the light out. Also, your trees
would probably benefit from spending the summer outside.

As for the smell - are your pots in trays to catch excess water, or are they
watertight themselves? If the latter, the water can stagnate at the bottom
of the pot and really stink. You would do better to drill some drainage
holes and sit them on trays so that the water won't sit around and go
stagnant and you can tell when the're waterlogged.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Newsgroups - remove x from address when replying )

Old 02-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"DLee" wrote in message
Hi All

We have a couple of pots in our study, and in there we have young Japanese
maple planted this spring. They seem to be doing ok with new leaves coming
out..etc, but what we noticed is that compost soil in the pots are covered
with these green moldy stuff that you see on sea side rocks, and whenever

come into study I can smell rotten staleness from these pots. Is this

normal
or healthy, or should we do somthing about it? Could someone explain what

is
happening here?

Firstly, Japanese maples are not really indoor plants.
Secondly, are the pots properly drained?
Thirdly, have you been overwatering?

It sounds awfully as if you have made swamps in the pots

Franz

Old 02-10-2003, 10:12 PM
DLee

Thanks Martin for your info - but pots are teracota ones, and whenever I
water, it seems draining very well, as any excess falls into the sourcer
very quick.

Dan

Old 02-10-2003, 10:12 PM
DLee

I must admit watering was plenty, but only when it showed sign of dryness.
But can these young Japanese maples stay live outdoors all through the harsh
winter?

Dan

Old 02-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Rod Craddock

DLee wrote:
I must admit watering was plenty, but only when it showed sign of dryness.
But can these young Japanese maples stay live outdoors all through the harsh
winter?

Dan

Yes, get them out now but in a sheltered place. ie Good light but no
direct sun, protected from strong winds and not in a frost hollow. Also
they are not the easiest plant in containers. They will be much happier
planted in the ground. Ideally well drained slightly acid soil and other
conditions as above.

Rod