Old 03-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Mark B

Default New Zealand Palm...Cabbage Tree..

I'm moving house shortly.
How viable is it to move a New Zealand Palm Tree (cordyline?).
It is about 9ft tall.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone with such experience.
How deep are the roots and do they take kindly to being relocated.

Thank you

mark b

Old 03-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Jason Pope

Mark B wrote:
I'm moving house shortly.
How viable is it to move a New Zealand Palm Tree (cordyline?).
It is about 9ft tall.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone with such experience.
How deep are the roots and do they take kindly to being relocated.

Thank you

mark b

Crikey rather you than me!
Probably best to wait until the growing season has finished but if
you're moving and want the plant, you won't lose anything by trying!

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

Old 03-10-2003, 09:39 PM
David Hill

"..........I'm moving house shortly.
How viable is it to move a New Zealand Palm Tree (cordyline?). It is about
9ft tall........"

If you haven't told the people buying your house (presuming you are selling)
then it's against the law.
Also if you are a tenant then you need the permission of the landlord.

As for moving it.......I wouldn't try.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-10-2003, 11:50 PM
Jason Pope

David Hill wrote:
"..........I'm moving house shortly.
How viable is it to move a New Zealand Palm Tree (cordyline?). It is about
9ft tall........"

If you haven't told the people buying your house (presuming you are selling)
then it's against the law.

You have to write down what you are leaving don't you?
Didn't think you notified them what you were taking?!

Also if you are a tenant then you need the permission of the landlord.

Unless you put it in the garden yourself, most tenancy agreements
include a part where you leave the house and garden in the manner in
which you took it on. That includes replacing light switches if you've
changed them for dimmers etc etc

As for moving it.......I wouldn't try.

I would, if I really wanted it!
Give it a go or regret trying!

Jason

Old 03-10-2003, 11:50 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mark B" wrote in message
I'm moving house shortly.
How viable is it to move a New Zealand Palm Tree (cordyline?).
It is about 9ft tall.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone with such experience.
How deep are the roots and do they take kindly to being relocated.

If you are selling your present house, does the buyer realise that you will
be moving a tree from the garden? It is quite an exceptional thing to do.

Franz

Old 04-10-2003, 01:46 AM
Mark B

"Mark B" wrote in message
I'm moving house shortly.
How viable is it to move a New Zealand Palm Tree (cordyline?).
It is about 9ft tall.

I will be renting out present house. Thus there are no legal issues.

mark b

Old 04-10-2003, 01:46 AM
Bob Hobden

"Mark B" wrote in message
I'm moving house shortly.
How viable is it to move a New Zealand Palm Tree (cordyline?).
It is about 9ft tall.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone with such experience.
How deep are the roots and do they take kindly to being relocated.

I'll tell you a story........
Some years ago we had a wall built at the front of our house. To get the
footings in our builder,a friend, dug deep as we had a couple of largish
trees planted there. In order to get the big footings in he had to cut off
and remove a Cordyline that was about 6ft tall, the stem went straight down
and he cut it off at about 3ft down. It didn't seem to have any roots at
all, it was just a trunk ending in a stump.
I came home from work and planted it in our back garden telling Sue it had
two chances. Needless to say it grew away without problem and a couple of
years later we also had a new baby tree coming up from the deep roots in the
front garden. ( this all happened in summer though)
They are both now about 20ft tall.

I think the roots are trying to get home to NZ. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.