Old 06-10-2003, 10:03 AM
martin

Default The topic line vanished for some reason

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 21:30:46 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 16:38:26 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

A hundred yards would put parts of a 4 acre site out of range?

Depends on the shape of the plot and where the henhouse is.

In the centre of a square plot, no.

depending on whether it's 4 English Irish or Scottish acres

No. For one thing, Scottish and Irish acres are archaic

any sort of acre is archaic in the world of hectares and ares.

and no longer
used, and though they are larger, (by about half as much again and just
a tad more than that, respectively) what I said still holds true. (Yes I
did the calculations)

sucker :-)

http://www.answerbus.com/cgi-bin/ans...2Ban%2Bacre%3F

CBA

At one end or corner of a rectangular plot, lots of it.

a circular plot with the hen house in the middle would be optimum :-)

And how many of those do you get per square mile?

do the calculations :-)
--
Martin
Old 06-10-2003, 10:03 AM
martin

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 21:35:19 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

In France the chickens sold with yellow skins are supposed to be maize
fed.

Maybe.

maybe nothing, it's written on the label.

Either that or Marrans. Many of my bantams had yellow skins (and fat).

--
Martin
Old 06-10-2003, 12:18 PM
Janet Baraclough

wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

In France the chickens sold with yellow skins are supposed to be maize
fed.

Maybe.

maybe nothing, it's written on the label.

It is written on the label; you can get yellow corn-fed chickens in UK
supermarkets and they do taste good. However, iirc there is nothing on
the "cornfed" label to say if dyes were added to the feed to enhance the
colour.

Dye (caxanthin (sp?) iirc) is included in some commercial chicken feeds
to colour the egg yolks of battery hens.

Janet

Old 06-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

In France the chickens sold with yellow skins are supposed to be maize
fed.

Maybe.

maybe nothing, it's written on the label.

So? They drink water. Does that make them yellow? They breathe air. Does
that make them yellow? It could have been put on the label though, as I
could have labelled my yellow birds.

More likely that they were labelled thus to explain away the jaundiced look.

Either that or Marrans. Many of my bantams had yellow skins (and fat).

My marrans could have been labelled 'No maize. Free range wheat and
barley-fed.' (Since I could buy sacks of wheat and barley sweepings for
next to nothing from neighbouring farmers, and my poultry used to go
gleaning after the harvest.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 06-10-2003, 04:34 PM
martin

wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

In France the chickens sold with yellow skins are supposed to be maize
fed.

Maybe.

maybe nothing, it's written on the label.

So? They drink water. Does that make them yellow? They breathe air. Does
that make them yellow? It could have been put on the label though, as I
could have labelled my yellow birds.

I am bit surprised that you blindly accept they are chickens and not
GM mutant canaries. (we can't trust the frogs you know)

More likely that they were labelled thus

most likely they are labelled thus because it is true.

to explain away the jaundiced look.

a bit like you? :-)
--
Martin

Daffs 99% vanished Trevor United Kingdom 17 14-03-2007 04:41 PM
algae vanished ///Owen\\\\\\ Ponds 2 01-06-2005 08:14 PM
ABPO vanished with TERANEWS? kenty ;-\) Orchids 12 04-12-2004 12:30 PM
ABPO vanished with TERANEWS? kenty ;-\) Orchids 0 03-12-2004 09:36 PM
I don't know why the topic line vanished Franz Heymann United Kingdom 0 04-10-2003 10:23 AM