Old 06-10-2003, 01:12 AM
OldRedNeck

Default human urine as fertiliser

Thankx--no more long trips back to the house. AAAAAHH where is the compost
bin.

Old 06-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Sad Sid

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...
As for feces, there are a few gardeners here who put feces in
their compost piles. The word of caution is that if you grow
vegetables and do this, the crop should be served only to the
family members who contributed to its fertilization. Personally,
I think using fecal material in the garden is taking an
unnecessary risk for very little benefit.

I used to live in a cottage in Suffolk which had no electricity, running
water or sewage. The loo was a plank with a hole in it, with a bucket
beneath. The contents were emptied into a "moving" trench at the bottom of
the garden. You could shelter from the rain under the Rhubarb that grew
there......

Old 06-10-2003, 10:12 AM
martin

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 00:05:56 +0100, "Mark B"
wrote:

There may be some issues to consider when applying this 'compost activator'
directly in very frosty conditions. ;-)

and in strong winds.
--
Martin
Old 06-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:

There may be some issues to consider when applying this 'compost
activator'
directly in very frosty conditions. ;-)

and in strong winds.

Avoid beans then.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 09-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Ric

"ken cohen" wrote in message
om...
On our allotment there is no functioning toilet, and my thoughts have
recently turned to the topic of composting human manure. I've been
checking out various things on the internet, and composting human
faeces seems to be fraught with all kinds of difficulties. But some
people are suggesting that it makes a lot of sense to focus more on
keeping urine separate from faeces, and using it as a rich
bacteria-free source of nitrogen, pottasium and phosphorus. You need
to dilute it with water (one suggestion was 1:8) before it is usable.
But is it then usable immediately? Anyone tried it? Isn't there
going to be a serious problem with smell? Are there any legal issues
to be considered?

I don't know whether it is relevant to your lotment situation, but my uncle
irrigates his garden with a pump into his septic tank. The fluid that comes
out of the septic tank is clear but full of nutrients. It does not smell at
all bad.