Old 05-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Dave Atkinson

Default grass for lawn bowls

I hope someone can give some helpful advice on this :-)

I am buying a house (hope to be moved in before December) with a
hopelessly overgrown garden some distance from it. We are toying with
the idea of laying it to lawn to use as a bowling green.

Does anyone have any advice on the best method, whether to seed or buy
sods, or whatever? If possible, we'd like to be playing on it some time
next summer.

If necessary, replace "nospam.please" when replying
--
Dave Atkinson E-Mail :
WWW :
Old 05-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Arthur

"Dave Atkinson" wrote in message
I hope someone can give some helpful advice on this :-)

I am buying a house (hope to be moved in before December) with a
hopelessly overgrown garden some distance from it. We are toying with
the idea of laying it to lawn to use as a bowling green.

Does anyone have any advice on the best method, whether to seed or buy
sods, or whatever? If possible, we'd like to be playing on it some time
next summer.

Either method, if done properly, will produce a good lawn in time. But to
get it perfectly flat will take a great deal of preparation before you start
to lay seed or turf.
Then it will take several seasons of care and rolling. You have no chance
of getting a lawn suitable for playing bowls by next summer.

- Arthur

Old 05-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Arthur

"Dave Atkinson" wrote in message
I hope someone can give some helpful advice on this :-)

I am buying a house (hope to be moved in before December) with a
hopelessly overgrown garden some distance from it. We are toying with
the idea of laying it to lawn to use as a bowling green.

Does anyone have any advice on the best method, whether to seed or buy
sods, or whatever? If possible, we'd like to be playing on it some time
next summer.

If necessary, replace "nospam.please" when replying

Dave,
Either method, if done properly, will produce a good lawn in time. But to
get it perfectly flat will take a great deal of preparation before you start
to lay seed or turf.
Then it will take several seasons of care and rolling. You have no chance
of getting a lawn suitable for playing bowls by next summer, if you start in
December.

- Arthur

Old 05-10-2003, 09:33 PM

:
: I am buying a house (hope to be moved in before December) with a
: hopelessly overgrown garden some distance from it. We are toying with
: the idea of laying it to lawn to use as a bowling green.
:
: Does anyone have any advice on the best method, whether to seed or buy
: sods, or whatever? If possible, we'd like to be playing on it some time
: next summer.
:
: If necessary, replace "nospam.please" when replying
: --
: Dave Atkinson E-Mail :
: WWW :
http://www.kynson.org.uk
: icq : 43284545

Why not dig it up, gravel it and use it for boules/petanque instead - that's
what friends of ours have done.

Old 06-10-2003, 07:42 AM
Dave Atkinson

Thanks for the replies. I thought we'd be pushing it to play on it next
summer. The Boules idea is an interesting one, and we'll think about
it, but I think our preference will still be to go the bowls route.

Old 06-10-2003, 11:33 AM

"Dave Atkinson" wrote in message
: Thanks for the replies. I thought we'd be pushing it to play on it next
: summer. The Boules idea is an interesting one, and we'll think about
: it, but I think our preference will still be to go the bowls route.
:
:
: If necessary, replace "nospam.please" when replying
: --
: Dave Atkinson E-Mail :
: WWW :
http://www.kynson.org.uk
: icq : 43284545

I don't know where you are. Our friends that have the boule ?court live in
Kent and they belong to a local league and some of the French teams come
over. Just another excuse for a p..s up I think.

Old 06-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Dave Atkinson contains these words:

Thanks for the replies. I thought we'd be pushing it to play on it next
summer. The Boules idea is an interesting one, and we'll think about
it, but I think our preference will still be to go the bowls route.

Pukka, what?

You can make a pétanque pit on any old bit of ground which is
unattractive from the horticultural point of view.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk