Old 08-10-2003, 04:23 PM

Default Spring afternoon, after pruning

"Peter Ashby" wrote in message
news : In article ,
: "Steve Marshall" wrote:
:
: But then it is ultimately more enjoyable doing it 'properly ' as you
: describe and a sound reason for doing things 'the hard way'. I much
prefer
: to use hand tools to do woodwork for example. Much more enjoyable than
using
: some of these modern electric gadgets!
:
: Hear, hear! Which reminds me, the wife wants another spice rack. The
: first one I obtained wood of the necessary thinness by hand ripping
: stock from the face of a 2X4 (gives essentially quarter sawn) then
: planing it flat and to thickness with my trusty No7. For a small spice
: rack that is 2.5m of hand sawing in total. I have to admit to using a
: power router to cut the dadoes but that is all.
:
: Peter
:
: --
: Peter Ashby

Has this got anything to do with gardening - or philosophy for that matter?

: School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Scotland
: To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
: Reverse the Spam and remove to email me.

Old 08-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Steve Marshall

"K" wrote

Has this got anything to do with gardening - or philosophy for that

matter?

Well this is first and foremost a humanist newsgroup and humanists like to
make others happy so sharing what pastimes and experiences make us happy is
significant.

As for gardening, the use of hand tools Vs machinery is significant. To the
plant it may not matter much if they use grass cutters to trim the
hedge-rows, (hack them to bits more like !), but it does matter to us as
humans whether we look upon a neatly pruned shrub or a mangled splintered
bit of wood.

Why? Ask a philosopher !!!

Steve M