Old 07-10-2003, 05:22 PM
TheScullster

Default mushroom compost good or bad?

I have taken out blue lawson cyprus trees and intend to plant hedging in
their place - escallonia, laurel, etc.
Is mushroom compost OK as a source of nutrient/soil conditioner?
Same question for vegetable patch as well - future project?

TIA

Phil

Old 07-10-2003, 06:12 PM
bnd777

"TheScullster" wrote in message
I have taken out blue lawson cyprus trees and intend to plant hedging in
their place - escallonia, laurel, etc.
Is mushroom compost OK as a source of nutrient/soil conditioner?
Same question for vegetable patch as well - future project?

TIA

Phil

Its fine but I suggest you also try and locate a source of horse manure too
as Leylandii double strip the soil and you cant pour back in too much in way
of compost etc
Try phoning Riding stables or livery stables they are usually only too glad
for you to come and bag it and take it away as they otherwise have to pay to
have it removed

Old 07-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Robert

: I have taken out blue lawson cyprus trees and intend to plant hedging
: in their place - escallonia, laurel, etc.
: Is mushroom compost OK as a source of nutrient/soil conditioner?
: Same question for vegetable patch as well - future project?
:
: TIA
:
: Phil

It's ok as a soil conditioner. It has no nutrients to talk about but does
have chalk or lime so be careful not to put it on acid loving plants

Old 07-10-2003, 08:12 PM
len gardener

g'day phil,

i use it as the main filler for all my raised vege' gardens, i live in
rural now and can only get it from the farm (not broken down at all),
in the 'burbs i used to be able to buy it in a composted form. but
either way it does well by me, even grow strawberries in it. and i
just keep adding other material as i go along.

if you can get some horse stable manure or cattle manure from the
yards to add in that will enhance it just need to be careful with the
horsey stuff can have chemicals in from various treatments depending
whether they are pets or racehorses etc.,. sheep, pig, goat and chook
manure will all work as additives.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/
Old 07-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "TheScullster" contains these words:

I have taken out blue lawson cyprus trees and intend to plant hedging in
their place - escallonia, laurel, etc.
Is mushroom compost OK as a source of nutrient/soil conditioner?
Same question for vegetable patch as well - future project?

It's a great soil conditioner and if it was made with horse manure
probably contains some remaining nutrients. It also contains chalk, not
good for limehating plants; and has probably been repeatedly sprayed
with insecticide to kill mushroom fly.

Janet.

Old 07-10-2003, 09:48 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "TheScullster" contains these words:

I have taken out blue lawson cyprus trees and intend to plant hedging in
their place - escallonia, laurel, etc.
Is mushroom compost OK as a source of nutrient/soil conditioner?
Same question for vegetable patch as well - future project?

Very little nutrient, but OK as a soil conditioner.

Add bonemeal, old bones, old woollens, old (leather) shoes etc.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 07-10-2003, 11:18 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

It's a great soil conditioner and if it was made with horse manure
probably contains some remaining nutrients. It also contains chalk, not
good for limehating plants; and has probably been repeatedly sprayed
with insecticide to kill mushroom fly.

Modern mushroom farms don't. They have airlock lobbies between two doors.

Even in ye olden dayes the sheds were only sprayed (with nicotine) while
no mushrooms were growing. Allegedly.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 08-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Jaques d'Altrades contains these words:

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

It's a great soil conditioner and if it was made with horse manure
probably contains some remaining nutrients. It also contains chalk, not
good for limehating plants; and has probably been repeatedly sprayed
with insecticide to kill mushroom fly.

Modern mushroom farms don't. They have airlock lobbies between two doors.

Even in ye olden dayes the sheds were only sprayed (with nicotine) while
no mushrooms were growing. Allegedly.

My son must have worked in a very oldfashioned one about 11 yrs ago.

So what distinguishes unorganic modern mushrooms from Organic modern
mushrooms?

Janet.

Old 08-10-2003, 08:44 AM
TheScullster

Many thanks to all for informative comprehensive response.

Phil

Old 08-10-2003, 09:42 AM
martin

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 23:16:30 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

So what distinguishes unorganic modern mushrooms from Organic modern
mushrooms?

The price?
--
Martin

Old 08-10-2003, 04:23 PM
martin

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 15:05:01 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

[...]

current score is
Price: 2
Label :1