Old 08-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Ric

Default those composting products..

Do those packets of "enzymes" for accelerating composting one sees in the
likes of B&Q etc actually do anything? What exactly is in them and where
does it come from? Can anybody give a more rigorous explanation than mere
"enzymes"?

Old 09-10-2003, 09:42 AM
bigboard

Ric wrote:
Do those packets of "enzymes" for accelerating composting one sees in the
likes of B&Q etc actually do anything? What exactly is in them and where
does it come from? Can anybody give a more rigorous explanation than mere
"enzymes"?

They probably help in an unbalanced heap, but they're not necessary. If
you get the ratio of nitrogen : carbon right (greenstuff : brownstuff),
your compost will go off like a rocket on it's own. I turned mine
(unenzymed) last weekend and found a ball of ash in the middle and smoke
coming out!

Old 09-10-2003, 06:42 PM
bnd777

"Ric" wrote in message
Do those packets of "enzymes" for accelerating composting one sees in the
likes of B&Q etc actually do anything? What exactly is in them and where
does it come from? Can anybody give a more rigorous explanation than mere
"enzymes"?

Sulphate of Ammonia is just as good and you can buy big bags cheap at farm
shops or local horticultural societies

However buckets of urine do an eminantly good job and thats free !!!!!!!!!
Equally if you ring round livery stables etc to ind one whose happy for you
to relieve them of horse manure etc you will find the straw or shavings is
well soaked in horse wee and does a good job too

Old 09-10-2003, 08:03 PM
Ric

"bnd777" wrote in message
However buckets of urine do an eminantly good job and thats free !!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the tips. I shall remeber from now on to pee on my compost
heap instead of in the flowerbeds!

Old 09-10-2003, 10:22 PM
David Hill

"....Thanks for all the tips. I shall remember from now on to pee on my
compost heap instead of in the flowerbeds!.......... "

Just remember to move the compost heap from by the front gate first.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 17:37:10 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"
wrote:

Sulphate of Ammonia is just as good and you can buy big bags cheap at farm
shops or local horticultural societies

I understand that chicken manure is a good activator if you have
access to it.

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-10-2003, 02:12 PM
martin

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 22:18:45 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

"....Thanks for all the tips. I shall remember from now on to pee on my
compost heap instead of in the flowerbeds!.......... "

won't it effect your beautiful dahlias?

Just remember to move the compost heap from by the front gate first.

--
Martin

Composting anything was Composting ivy Reid© United Kingdom 5 29-09-2003 09:02 PM
[IBC] Supplier of Roots Products in UK Michael Persiano Bonsai 2 08-02-2003 03:51 PM
[IBC] Soil Products EESiFlo , North America Bonsai 8 01-02-2003 10:13 AM
[IBC] Soil Products Ben Griffin Bonsai 8 30-01-2003 11:51 PM
bio-products AGRISPON & SINCOCIN ecologicals Edible Gardening 0 29-01-2003 09:12 PM