Old 30-01-2003, 07:37 PM
Ben Griffin

Default [IBC] Soil Products

Do any of you have experience using Oak Leaf Mold in
your soil mix. If so do you recomend it or is their a
better organic to replace this. Also have any of you
ever experimented with hemlock bark rather then pine
bark, if so is there any advantage using it over pine
bark. Finally I have seen allot of conflicting info
on whether or not spagnum peat moss is good to use in
soil or dangerous in soil "which is it???".

Thanks
Ben

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-01-2003, 07:49 PM
David J. Bockman

Hi Ben,

I really like rotted oak leaf as an organic soil component to bonsai soil.

- It is ridiculously cheap and easy to prepare.

- Of the common organic components used in bonsai soil it is by far the
slowest to break down, thus a longer lasting component.

- Oak leaf mold acidifies the mixture (@ 4 parts Terragreen/Turface, 1 part
oak leaf) to about 6.20-6.25. I can further acidify the soil if required by
the particular subject easily, using an acidifier like aluminum sulfate,
Miracid, or Hollytone fertilizer.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

Do any of you have experience using Oak Leaf Mold in
your soil mix. If so do you recomend it or is their a
better organic to replace this. Also have any of you
ever experimented with hemlock bark rather then pine
bark, if so is there any advantage using it over pine
bark. Finally I have seen allot of conflicting info
on whether or not spagnum peat moss is good to use in
soil or dangerous in soil "which is it???".

Thanks
Ben

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

****
****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Ben Griffin

Someone recently mentioned to me that they use
diatomaceous earth in their mix. I read a bit about
it and it is supposed to deter bugs in the soil. Is
it dangerous or beneficial to the root system?

Ben

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-01-2003, 07:59 PM
Jim Lewis

Do any of you have experience using Oak Leaf Mold in
your soil mix. If so do you recomend it or is their a
better organic to replace this.

Oak leaf mold (Aka rotted oak leaves -- AKA forest mold -- is
often used in Great Britain (or at least many of the British
bonsai-writers mention it as a soil component). I don't know of
anyone over here that uses it (but I'm sure I'll hear from them
now ;-); down here in the warm, humid south it would decompose
too quickly and turn to fine-grained mush in our soil.

Ground-up bark is better (IMHO), though I use a small amount of
horse-manure-hay compost in most of my soil mixtures, and oal
leaf mold is just another kind of compost.

Also have any of you
ever experimented with hemlock bark rather then pine
bark, if so is there any advantage using it over pine
bark.

No experience with hemlock bark, but if it's not filled with
volatiles (like red cedar bark is) I'd think it would be as good.
You don't use the bark as a source of nurients, after all.

Finally I have seen allot of conflicting info
on whether or not spagnum peat moss is good to use in
soil or dangerous in soil "which is it???".

Sphagnum is good. Peat -- the dried, ground-up, powdery end
product of old, dry sphagnum -- if present in too large a
concentration, can actually repel water, and is bad, or at least
not a preferred soil component for bonsai. Fresh (even green)
sphagnum, cut or chopped small (but not powdery) is a good
addition to the soil of acid-loving plants. I harvest it from my
swamp, shred it and add a little of it to all of my azalea pots.
Sphagnum contains a substance that promotes root growth. I have
no idea if it is still present in peat.

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 30-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Andy Rutledge

Someone recently mentioned to me that they use
diatomaceous earth in their mix. I read a bit about
it and it is supposed to deter bugs in the soil. Is
it dangerous or beneficial to the root system?
Ben

---------------

Provided that I'm correct in assuming that DE is not granular, it is far too
small to be used as bonsai soil. If the grains are smaller than 1/8" (3mm),
it's not at all beneficial. The kinds of pests that DE can help to deter
are not generally a problem with bonsai. BTW, DE only works when it's dry.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-01-2003, 09:33 PM
Robert O'Brien

Hey Ben..I'll let those more experienced than i answer most of your soil
questions...but as far as the Hemlock bark goes...I am going on 4 years using
it as pretty much my only organic component for most of my trees...no
problems yet...definitely need to screen it though depending on how small you
grind it if you do...seems to me it gets a little powdery during the process
....I used a lawn shredder then screened out the fines with standard window
screening . I ended up tossing maybe a 1/4 of what i started out with...after
3 seasons in an outdoor training bed and some in pots for that long I haven't
noticed any appreciable break down yet. best of luck....BobO

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-01-2003, 10:56 PM
dalecochoy

I really like rotted oak leaf as an organic soil component to bonsai soil.

- It is ridiculously cheap and easy to prepare.
- Of the common organic components used in bonsai soil it is by far the
slowest to break down, thus a longer lasting component.

Dave,
Please feel free to come to Ohio and rake up all the oak leaves you'd like
off my property. I never got them all up before snows this year and come
spring they'll be rotting away ( along with the lawn!)
They are like little strips of leather laying on the grass!
Dale Cochoy

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-01-2003, 11:45 PM
Craig Cowing

dalecochoy wrote:

Dave,
Please feel free to come to Ohio and rake up all the oak leaves you'd like
off my property. I never got them all up before snows this year and come
spring they'll be rotting away ( along with the lawn!)
They are like little strips of leather laying on the grass!
Dale Cochoy

Same here. I've got a big pile of them in the side yard. I hadn't thought of
using them as an organic component in soil, but I have no lack of them.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-01-2003, 11:51 PM
Alan Walker

Craig: I wouldn't use them in bonsai soil, but they are rich in acid and aid roots
in getting nutrients. They're especially good as a mulch for azaleas.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
========