Old 10-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Franz Heymann

Default place to buy rusty garden tools

"martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:53:47 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

He's accessing URG via http://www.gardenbanter.com/ so I guess it
sortof looks like a website :~)

More fool he.

You'd be surprised how many people have never heard of Usenet.

Don't all folk read an introductory book about the Internet before

jumping
into it?

Read a book?
What nowadays?
Don't be old fashioned Franz :-)

Do they inform themselves by osmosis?

Franz

Old 10-10-2003, 04:42 PM
JennyC

"Franz Heymann"
"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote

"Franz Heymann" contains these
words:

He's accessing URG via http://www.gardenbanter.com/ so I guess

it
sortof looks like a website :~)

More fool he.

You'd be surprised how many people have never heard of Usenet.

Don't all folk read an introductory book about the Internet before

jumping
into it?
Franz

NO !

I think you will find that people who have never used computers or
the www before tend to feel especially intimidated by manuals about
the subject. They are often really badly written and to difficult for
the rank beginner.

Jenny

Old 10-10-2003, 04:42 PM
JennyC

"Franz Heymann" wrote
"martin" wrote

"Franz Heymann" wrote:
"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote

He's accessing URG via http://www.gardenbanter.com/ so I

guess it
sortof looks like a website :~)

More fool he.

You'd be surprised how many people have never heard of Usenet.

Don't all folk read an introductory book about the Internet

before
jumping
into it?

Read a book?
What nowadays?
Don't be old fashioned Franz :-)

Do they inform themselves by osmosis?
Franz

No No No - trial and error, or as we used to call it in the old days
"training on the job"
Jenny

Old 10-10-2003, 06:22 PM
DLee

Rusty old ones are not necesarily cheap you know - the real cheap ones seems
to be made of plastic and made in China or Taiwan and stuff like that.

One eBay - I can tell you that pair of old rusty garden trowel and fork went
for double the price of brand new ones from famous makers. Some people, (in
fact quite a lot of them) seem to prefer using those old & rusty tools to
shiny new plastic / stainless ones.

cheers

Dan

"James Caley" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi there everyone, I'm glad to be joining the team and hope, although
I'm still very much a novice, to be able to give some useful advice to
people.

The question I wanted to ask was really, does anyone know where I can
get rusty, second hand garden tools from. The reason I ask is that
someone has asked me to make a heron for them and, because they have an
allotment, I thought it'd be a nice idea to make it from old rusty
garden tools.

I've been on a few websites, but just found antiques which are too
expensive, and I'm going to go round loads of scrapyards this Saturday,
I thought I'd throw my question to everyone at GardenBanter.

In any case I'm glad to have found this site and hope to have many
discussions on matters which are close to people's hearts.

All the best for now,

James Caley
--
James Caley
J.R.Caley

Old 11-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

You'd be surprised how many people have never heard of Usenet.

Don't all folk read an introductory book about the Internet before jumping
into it?

Of course they do. They're human, (most of them) and young (most of them).

Everybody knows that humans take heed of what they are told by the more
experienced, and that the young are especially deferential to old hands.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 11-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:
The message
from Jaques d'Altrades contains these words:

You'd be surprised how many people have never heard of Usenet.

Indeedy Rusty. Probably the least promoted area of the net now. The web
is king of the net and all else is rubbish you`d have thought.

Most of the youngsters (by that I mean anyone under thirty) think the
net is only websites and e-mail. A few lurk in chatrooms.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 11-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from martin contains these words:

wrote:

Don't all folk read an introductory book about the Internet before jumping
into it?

Read a book?
What nowadays?
Don't be old fashioned Franz :-)
--
Martin

Not when there`s websites now. G

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 11-10-2003, 08:32 AM
martin

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:40:02 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these
words:

He's accessing URG via http://www.gardenbanter.com/ so I guess it
sortof looks like a website :~)

More fool he.

You'd be surprised how many people have never heard of Usenet.

Don't all folk read an introductory book about the Internet before

jumping
into it?

Read a book?
What nowadays?
Don't be old fashioned Franz :-)

Do they inform themselves by osmosis?

a blistering reply, says a boat owner :-)

They inform each other verbally
--
Martin
Old 11-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Jaques d'Altrades contains these words:

Most of the youngsters (by that I mean anyone under thirty) think the
net is only websites and e-mail. A few lurk in chatrooms.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

And god forbid if anyone actually came across IRC. The media would have
a field day with the thousands of rooms sitting there with perverts just
waiting to pounce on unsuspecting kids. They seem to only talk about web
chatrooms like the Microsoft ones that are now shut/being shut.

Much. MUCH more to the internet than web. It`s just a shame that when
people say "the net" they actually mean "the web". No-ones made it known
in the last 4 years that there is more than that.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 11-10-2003, 09:12 AM
martin

wrote:

Don't all folk read an introductory book about the Internet before jumping
into it?

Read a book?
What nowadays?
Don't be old fashioned Franz :-)

Not when there`s websites now. G

There's a chicken & egg situation here or is it a BLT?
--
Martin

Old 11-10-2003, 09:12 AM
martin

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:58:24 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

You'd be surprised how many people have never heard of Usenet.

Don't all folk read an introductory book about the Internet before jumping
into it?

Of course they do. They're human, (most of them) and young (most of them).

no they don't, I am the only person in this house, who read a book on
Internet. The butler done it.

Everybody knows that humans take heed of what they are told by the more
experienced, and that the young are especially deferential to old hands.

of course we do or don't [ delete what's applicable ]
--
Martin

Old 11-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Don't all folk read an introductory book about the Internet before

jumping
into it?
Franz

NO !

I think you will find that people who have never used computers or
the www before tend to feel especially intimidated by manuals about
the subject. They are often really badly written and to difficult for
the rank beginner.

And judging by the standard of grammar and spelling on Usenet, it's
pretty obvious that reading isn't in fashion ATM.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 11-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Do they inform themselves by osmosis?
Franz

No No No - trial and error, or as we used to call it in the old days
"training on the job"

Yes. Fun, that was.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

floral tools,floral garden tools,floral hand tools supplier in china [email protected] Australia 0 17-09-2007 01:38 PM
Clarington Forge garden tools from Bulldog Tools, UK Robert Larson Gardening 0 31-03-2007 05:32 PM
Clarington Forge Tools from Bulldog Tools UK Robert Larson Lawns 0 31-03-2007 05:24 PM
Rusty tools :( John Dhom Bonsai 7 31-08-2005 03:23 PM
[IBC] Rusty tools :( John Quinn Bonsai 1 30-08-2005 02:59 PM