Old 09-10-2003, 04:24 PM

Default Storing Potatoes?

This message has been posted by: Aengus Stewart

Hi,

last year we "saved" our allotment potatoes in our cellar ( we have a 1.5m space under the front of the house )
However this didnt stop the little blighters sprouting. Even though the central heating in that part of the house is kept off it is impossible to get it near 10C, which I believe is the optimum temperature.

This year we would hope to do better.

Any suggestions?

Is it possible to get hold of sprout inhibitors? Are there organic alternatives?

I am not sure we have enough potatoes to make an effective clamp outside.

Is there some varieties we should be growing?

We have grown

Red Duke of York
Kestrel
Charlotte
Golden Wonder.

The Kestrels are already thinking of sprouting and they have only been lifted about a month.

Errrr......what about carrots and parsnips? Just leave them in the ground?

Regards
Aengus

Old 09-10-2003, 10:44 PM
shazzbat

last year we "saved" our allotment potatoes in our cellar ( we have a 1.5m

space under the front of the house )
However this didnt stop the little blighters sprouting. Even though the

central heating in that part of the house is kept off it is impossible to
get it near 10C, which I believe is the optimum temperature.

This year we would hope to do better.

Any suggestions?

Some friends of ours have had good results by putting them in boxes in the
loft. We're going to try it this year. I understand the key to stopping them
sprouting is to keep them in the dark.

Steve

Old 10-10-2003, 09:13 AM
David Hill

I would suggest you send a letter to the secretary of the Horticultural
Exhibitors Association explaining the situation and asking if she can put a
short note in their next news letter.
I shouldn't think that there were more than a couple of exhibitors showing
at Taton who were selling bulbs, and ;as you say the bulbs were in a display
case; they are probably totally un-aware that there is anything wrong with
the bulbs. They may well contact you as a result.
Just a comment on things in display boxes
Some people will go through and pick out bulbs then change their minds and
just dump them back in the nearest slot, I have often seen spaces with
several different types of bulbs all mixed, and some just cant be told
apart.
If you are buying expensive bulb get them from a supply that cant have been
mixed. if they are behind the counter they are much safer than those in
front.

please contact me if you want the address,
Their web site seems to be down. (Again)
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Storing potatoes & mice? Broadback United Kingdom 11 20-08-2007 08:00 AM
storing potatoes hillier United Kingdom 4 09-08-2005 12:14 PM
storing potatoes Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 3 28-05-2005 03:45 PM
storing potatoes miklol United Kingdom 1 31-07-2003 07:33 PM
Storing early potatoes John Towill United Kingdom 1 28-07-2003 06:13 PM