Old 12-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Sad Sid

Default Barking Mad...

Just finished transferring all my currants bushes & raspberries to raised
beds in a new fruit cage.
Focus currently have a special offer on bark mulch - £9 for two 120 litre
bags. I bought six bags, intending to finish off the beds with it.
Opened the bags to find a lot of christmas tree twigs in amongst the mulch -
and the whole lot wet and stinking of Jeyes fluid.
Is this their normal offering? And if it has pine chippings and disinfectant
in it, will it upset my precious fruit bushes?

Old 12-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Robert

: Just finished transferring all my currants bushes & raspberries to
: raised beds in a new fruit cage.
: Focus currently have a special offer on bark mulch - £9 for two 120
: litre bags. I bought six bags, intending to finish off the beds with
: it.
: Opened the bags to find a lot of christmas tree twigs in amongst the
: mulch - and the whole lot wet and stinking of Jeyes fluid.
: Is this their normal offering? And if it has pine chippings and
: disinfectant in it, will it upset my precious fruit bushes?

Jeyes fluid will send them to the fruit cage in the sky

Old 12-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Sad Sid" . wrote in message
Just finished transferring all my currants bushes & raspberries to raised
beds in a new fruit cage.
Focus currently have a special offer on bark mulch - £9 for two 120 litre
bags. I bought six bags, intending to finish off the beds with it.
Opened the bags to find a lot of christmas tree twigs in amongst the

mulch -
and the whole lot wet and stinking of Jeyes fluid.
Is this their normal offering? And if it has pine chippings and

disinfectant
in it, will it upset my precious fruit bushes?

If it has Jeyes in, I would seal the bag quickly and take it back. Jeyes
fluid is poison to plants.

And you might consider blacklisting the garden centre for being
irresponsible.

Franz

Old 14-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Robert" contains these words:

: Just finished transferring all my currants bushes & raspberries to
: raised beds in a new fruit cage.
: Focus currently have a special offer on bark mulch - £9 for two 120
: litre bags. I bought six bags, intending to finish off the beds with
: it.
: Opened the bags to find a lot of christmas tree twigs in amongst the
: mulch - and the whole lot wet and stinking of Jeyes fluid.
: Is this their normal offering? And if it has pine chippings and
: disinfectant in it, will it upset my precious fruit bushes?

Jeyes fluid will send them to the fruit cage in the sky

Jeyes Fluid won't harm them unless it's been applied neat.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 14-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

If it has Jeyes in, I would seal the bag quickly and take it back. Jeyes
fluid is poison to plants.

And you might consider blacklisting the garden centre for being
irresponsible.

Many old gardening books (and maybe some of the newer ones - but I
haven't got any) recommend sterilising soil with diluted Jeyes Fluid.

My father used to apply it to the greenhouse beds every autumn, and it
never bothered the tomatoes, cucumbers, aubergines or peppers in the
next season.

The grape vine (planted outside, but plenty of roots came in to sup on
the manure/compost also applied) didn't complain either.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk