Old 04-04-2006, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

Default Ivy or evergreen climber suggestions?

I need an evergreen climber to cover a pergola, preferably quickly. This
pergola is resting on one side against a house wall and the brickwork is not
in the best condition, so I need to be careful. I would not want ivy to grow
all over the house wall. I need something that is not going to try to do
that.
I want the climber to act as a screen visually so people can sit under the
perrgola and not be in full view of overlooking buildings. Ivy of some sort
seems the obvious choice but I don't want to be fighting some colossal entity
for years to come in the attempt to stop it climbing all over the house wall.
It did occur to me that there might be an ivy that only climbs a few metres
and then stops. The pergola is a little over two metres high and three metres
across from the outside to the house wall. I could plant more than one
climber along its length if need be. A climber that will cover the total
five metres from the ground to the top and then over to the wall and then
stops would be ideal and _maybe_ there is something that would do that, more
or less. If it grows a little more than that I could trim it, but it would
need to be not growing much more than that.

Any suggestions would be helpful- if there is anything that fits this
description!

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 04-04-2006, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

For an 'instant' and attractive, in my view anyway, screen, try the cane
wall screens from the garden centres. Various heights and quite long in a
roll. Can be erected double thickness for total screen. Erects/hangs on
wires stretched from pole/post to pole/post

Mike

s.com...

Old 04-04-2006, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

VX wrote:
[...]

I think almost anything that will do what you require will need some
tidying up from time to time. However, two things come immediately to
mind - Holboellia which is evergreen and Humulus lupus aureus (Golden
Hop), which isn't. The latter grows very fast but dies back in winter.
However, I imagine you won't want to be sitting outside then! Perhaps
you could use it in two places while waiting for something else, e.g. a
rose or clematis, to grow to full height? Have a look at this:
http://www.bluebellnursery.com/cgi-b...ulus&initial=H
and here's Charlie's site where he sells Holboellia:
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/climbers/cat1.htm
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-04-2006, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:53:49 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in message .com):

http://www.bluebellnursery.com/cgi-b...s=Humulus&init
ial=H
and here's Charlie's site where he sells Holboellia:
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/climbers/cat1.htm
--
Sacha

Thanks for that. For some unaccountable reason I omitted to say that much of
this pergola is in shade much of the time as it is against a North wall but
some of it projects beyond it into the area of longer sunlight. Well anyway I
decided on Hedera Colchica "Sulphur Heart" as the ivy of choice and some
Humulus Lupulus Aureus (Golden Hop) to make a quick cover at the sunny end,
hoping that it will spill over a bit into he shade before it realises it
isn't very sunny there. I think this will all work out quite well! Actually
although I probably won't want to be sitting out there for very long in the
winter, I really do want the option to do so if I feel like it! I'm one of
those odd people who like to wanderr around the garden at odd hours in their
pyjamas or whatever so the more all-year-round screening the better I will
feel about it.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 05-04-2006, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:06:01 +0100, Mike wrote
(in message ):

For an 'instant' and attractive, in my view anyway, screen, try the cane
wall screens from the garden centres. Various heights and quite long in a
roll. Can be erected double thickness for total screen. Erects/hangs on
wires stretched from pole/post to pole/post

Mike

Duly noted- thanks! That will come in handy later.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Vigorous evergreen climber - any ideas? Richard Kerry United Kingdom 28 08-02-2004 08:26 PM
Fast Growing Evergreen Climber??? Any suggestions AndreaL United Kingdom 9 15-10-2003 12:02 PM
Evergreen climber to cover a west facing wall in zone 9 Pete Gardening 6 25-09-2003 05:42 AM