Old 15-10-2003, 07:43 PM
Paul Taylor

Default Sweet Peas

I am going to grow sweet peas for the first time next year. Last week on
gardeners world it said sow them now in pots under a piece of glass. I
was planning on sowing them early next year striaght in the ground.

Is there a big benefit to sowing now under glass?

Also, on gardeners world they recommended doing something to get a good
root system which apparently helps - I didn't quite catch what the
presenter said. Maybe someone could enlighten me?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Paul.
Old 15-10-2003, 08:03 PM
Sad Sid

"Paul Taylor" wrote in message
news
I am going to grow sweet peas for the first time next year.
Is there a big benefit to sowing now under glass?
You will get an earlier display and probably tougher plants.
Provided you keep cutting the flowers they will carry on producing all
summer. When you plant them out in March, put a seed in with each plant to
extend the flowering season.
Also, on gardeners world they recommended doing something to get a good

root system which apparently helps - I didn't quite catch what the
presenter said.

Don't know what they said, but they do best planted in a deep container to
allow long roots to develop. You can buy special long, biodegradeable tubes
for runner beans which are perfect. Kitchen paper roll cores are good, too!
Pinch out each seedling after the second true leaf forms. They will need
watching to make sure they don't get too leggy.

Old 15-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Paul Taylor

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:54:55 +0100, Sad Sid wrote:

"Paul Taylor" wrote in message
news
I am going to grow sweet peas for the first time next year. Is there a
big benefit to sowing now under glass?

You will get an earlier display and probably tougher plants. Provided
you keep cutting the flowers they will carry on producing all summer.
When you plant them out in March, put a seed in with each plant to
extend the flowering season.
Also, on gardeners world they recommended doing something to get a good

root system which apparently helps - I didn't quite catch what the
presenter said.

Don't know what they said, but they do best planted in a deep container
to allow long roots to develop. You can buy special long, biodegradeable
tubes for runner beans which are perfect. Kitchen paper roll cores are
good, too! Pinch out each seedling after the second true leaf forms.
They will need watching to make sure they don't get too leggy.

Thanks for the useful tips :-)

You mention that they can get leggy. Is there anything that I should
make sure I do to get the best quality seedlings?

Regards,

Paul.
Old 16-10-2003, 12:22 AM
pronoun

[...]

I think they trial sweet peas at the RHS:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/agm.asp

is it safe to plant sweet peas in the same yard as garden peas General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 3 06-04-2010 11:32 PM
should I bring in the sweet peas before the snow? NAearthMOM Gardening 1 30-03-2003 04:08 PM
sweet peas Ophelia United Kingdom 4 22-03-2003 11:29 AM
Stapling sweet peas SugarChile Gardening 2 26-02-2003 04:15 PM
sweet peas-any secrets to success? NAearthMOM Gardening 12 05-02-2003 06:19 PM