Old 18-10-2003, 01:22 PM
TheGardener

Default What's this fruit?

I've recently begun to walk a different route into town, and have come
across some very weird fruit which has fallen from a tree along the way. Of
course, it could be very common, but I've never seen it before, and a look
through all my gardening books has come up with nothing.

The fruit is apple-like in shape, about the size of a Golden Delicious
apple. However, the skin is hard and knobbly, lime green, turning to yellow,
with a few brown bristles here and there. It smells vaguely unpleasant, but
when cut, the smell is more fruity, but not like an apple smell. When cut or
bruised, the sap is latex-like, and very sticky, like glue. There are no
seeds of any description inside. The tree itself is medium-sized, but has
leaves more like an almond or sloe than an apple. The bark too is more like
an almond than an apple. I've never in more than 50 years seen anything like
this. As it has no seeds, how is it propagated? What fruit is it? Pictures
and more info are posted on my website, he
www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/fruit.html.

If anyone can identify what fruit it is, I would be very grateful, as it's
driving me mad!

Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Old 18-10-2003, 03:02 PM
TheGardener

"TheGardener" wrote in message
[...]

Forgot to mention that there are also quite long spines at intervals along
the branches, so definitely not an apple tree of some sort.

Old 18-10-2003, 03:02 PM
The Hoopeses

[...]

Hi! This is my first time posting here. It looks like what you have is an
Osage Orange. Check out this website:

http://www.gpnc.org/osage.htm

Hope this helps.

-
Al

Old 18-10-2003, 04:22 PM
TheGardener

"The Hoopeses" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Al, welcome to URG! Wow, I didn't expect a result as quickly as this!
Yes, the tree is indeed an Osage Orange. I did a double check on Google
Images, and it is definitely the one. I've never heard of this tree, but
I'm a lot wiser now, thanks to you! Only disappointment is that there is
obviously not a male plant around, as the fruits contain no seeds. I would
have loved to grow one of these, the fruits are very decorative. It would
be hard to sneak a cutting as the tree grows within a high fence, and I'm
not into trespassing!

Anyway, I can sleep at night now........

Old 18-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Rhiannon S

Subject: What's this fruit?
From: "TheGardener"
Date: 18/10/2003 16:21 GMT Daylight Time

[...]

Find the land owner and ask. I think (ICBW) most people might be slightly
puzzled, but very few would refuse a cutting. Anyway, worst they could say is
no after all.
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/

Old 18-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Franz Heymann

[...]

"The page cannot be displayed"

Franz

Old 18-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Franz Heymann

[...]

Why don't you have a word with the owner?

Franz

Old 18-10-2003, 06:43 PM
TheGardener

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

large snip
www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/fruit.html.

"The page cannot be displayed"

Franz

Try again later Franz, I just had no problem accessing it from the link,
and neither have about 14 others since I posted this! Just one of those
silly things.......

Old 18-10-2003, 07:43 PM
The Hoopeses

[...]

Hello, and thanks for the welcome! I don't have much personal experience
with this type of tree, but those who have them tell me the things can be
rather messy. I know it's related to the mulberry, and those can be messy.

-
Al

Old 18-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes

"TheGardener" wrote in message
www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/fruit.html.

"The page cannot be displayed"

Did you do what I did first time and include the terminal full stop in
your cut and paste?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 18-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"TheGardener" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

large snip
www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/fruit.html.

"The page cannot be displayed"

Franz

Try again later Franz, I just had no problem accessing it from the link,
and neither have about 14 others since I posted this! Just one of those
silly things.......

OK. I have got through now. An interesting link.

Franz

Old 18-10-2003, 10:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes

"TheGardener" wrote in message
www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/fruit.html.

"The page cannot be displayed"

Did you do what I did first time and include the terminal full stop in
your cut and paste?

I did not do any cutting & pasting, I just clicked on the URL as it appeared
in the note.
On a later occasion I did the samwe and got rhrough allright.
I think the page was genuinely not available for some reason or other when I
tried it at first.

Franz

Old 19-10-2003, 04:42 AM
Dwayne

I have also heard this called a "hedge apple" and a "bodark". This spelling
is probably wrong. They are supposed to be able to keep some bugs from
coming in your house if you put some around in a crawl space or around the
outside of the houses foundation. I don't remember if the "bugs" are
roaches, spiders, or just what, but it sounds good. I have had several
people ask me to find them some.

Dwayne

Old 19-10-2003, 10:12 PM
oldmolly

"Dwayne" wrote in message
I have also heard this called a "hedge apple" and a "bodark". This

spelling
is probably wrong. They are supposed to be able to keep some bugs from
coming in your house if you put some around in a crawl space or around the
outside of the houses foundation. I don't remember if the "bugs" are
roaches, spiders, or just what, but it sounds good. I have had several
people ask me to find them some.

Lol, thats what the website said. It also said that unless you hit the bug
with a fruit and squashed it, it was useless against bugs. An old wives
tale.