Old 21-10-2003, 10:47 PM
Seven

Default Chickweed

I have a lot of chickweed in my garden, I have been told it means you have
healthy ground,

Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Should I leave it to grow untill I need the ground, or should I remove it?

Old 22-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Spider

I believe it does mean that you have good, fertile soil.
You must certainly remove the chickweed, and its subsequent offspring as you
are bound to have lots of seed within the soil. Regular hoeing is a
reliable method, as long as you do it when the soil is dry.
Spider

Old 22-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Seven
writes
I have a lot of chickweed in my garden, I have been told it means you have
healthy ground,

Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Should I leave it to grow untill I need the ground, or should I remove it?

If you don't remove it you will have nothing but chickweed!!
If you are happy with that then leave it where it is, if not, nothing
short of a nuclear war with it will eradicate it - especially if your
ground is nice and healthy (((((((
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 22-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Seven" contains these words:

I have a lot of chickweed in my garden, I have been told it means you have
healthy ground,

The bigger and fleshier the plant, the richer the ground.

Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Well, for certain values of healthy ground.....

Should I leave it to grow untill I need the ground, or should I remove it?

Well, if you don't need the ground, chickweed is a surprisingly pleasant
salad vegetable - however, it will seed.......

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 22-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Max Wright

In message , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , Seven
writes
I have a lot of chickweed in my garden, I have been told it means you have
healthy ground,

Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Should I leave it to grow untill I need the ground, or should I remove it?

If you don't remove it you will have nothing but chickweed!!
If you are happy with that then leave it where it is, if not, nothing
short of a nuclear war with it will eradicate it - especially if your
ground is nice and healthy (((((((

If your *chickweed* is nice and healthy, you might enjoy eating it:

"Wash the sprigs well, and put into a saucepan without any additional
water. Add a knob of butter, seasoning, and some chopped spring onions.
Simmer gently for about ten minutes, turning all the time. Finish off
with a dash of lemon juice or a sprinkling of grated nutmeg."

(Richard Mabey, Food for Free)
--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop

Old 22-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Seven

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Seven" contains these words:

I have a lot of chickweed in my garden, I have been told it means you

have
healthy ground,

The bigger and fleshier the plant, the richer the ground.

Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Well, for certain values of healthy ground.....

Should I leave it to grow untill I need the ground, or should I remove

it?

Well, if you don't need the ground, chickweed is a surprisingly pleasant
salad vegetable - however, it will seed.......

Thanks everyone,

my lovebird seems to love the stuff, but I havena't tried it myself yet.

Old 22-10-2003, 10:48 PM
David Hill

"....... however, it will seed......."

Wrong, it's already seeded.
I have seen it with a flower before it had 5 leaves on the plant, by the
time you notice it, it has normally set a load of seed.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 23-10-2003, 07:42 AM
Seven

"David Hill" wrote in message
"....... however, it will seed......."

Wrong, it's already seeded.
I have seen it with a flower before it had 5 leaves on the plant, by the
time you notice it, it has normally set a load of seed.

I think I had better start digging......

Old 23-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Seven" contains these words:

chickweed

my lovebird seems to love the stuff, but I havena't tried it myself yet.

Well, do. It's not unlike lettuce in flavour when eaten raw, and I'll
have to try it cooked.....

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 23-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

"....... however, it will seed......."

Wrong, it's already seeded.
I have seen it with a flower before it had 5 leaves on the plant, by the
time you notice it, it has normally set a load of seed.

If left, it *WILL* seed. Deny that if you dare!

If I left out 'some more', it still doesn't make the statement wrong........

HTH and HAND

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Effective way of getting rid of chickweed ? Vegegrower United Kingdom 5 04-05-2009 09:06 PM
chickweed in new lawn Rob Barrett United Kingdom 9 26-05-2006 09:21 AM
Chickweed Killer pixi Gardening 4 15-12-2004 11:59 AM
Chickweed DRE Gardening 2 30-05-2004 04:02 AM
Chickweed rampit. [email protected] Lawns 2 14-05-2004 07:02 AM