Old 31-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Kay Easton

Default What are you growing new from seed this year?

In article , Sacha
writes

Kay, as you know there's a huge range of Salvias and one of the best for
this time of year is Salvia confertiflora. It has long spires of rusty red
flowers and ours is still out now. It's not hardy, though so cuttings need
to be taken.

Thanks. I'll look out for that.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 31-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Steve Harris

I'm considering Oenothera biennis or Evening primrose. It's allegedly
ornamental and edible.

Old 31-10-2003, 10:22 PM

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
: I'm considering Oenothera biennis or Evening primrose. It's allegedly
: ornamental and edible.
:
: Steve Harris - Cheltenham - Real address steve AT netservs DOT com

It self seeds like mad. I never planted mine in the first place - it just
appeared. It now gets everywhere if I don't watch it.

Old 01-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:25:48 +0100, martin wrote:

I once had Pumpkin and Pecan Pie, in Florida, that I quite enjoyed.

There are lots of pumpkin recipes here.
http://www.obh.snafu.de/~solon/lofab...index-nop.html

.snafu.de indeed !

Thanks for the link!

Received your enquiry re. flutes - can't respond as there's no valid
email addy.
Feel free to email with any queries - will respond if there's an addy

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 02-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay Easton
writes

Lathyrus
chlorantha, with lemon yellow flowers, and a variety of L sativa with
'steel blue' flowers - both so nice that I shall be looking for other
Lathyrus sp when Chilterns catalogue arrives.

Salvia - one of my chilterns 'mixed perennials' turned out to be a
beautiful salvia with dusky pinky purple flowers, a beautiful colour, so
this is an area to explore further.

Oh good, I see an opportunity to spread my cuttings and/or seeds then
Kay .............

Glad I caught the posting, you might never have told me

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 02-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Jason Pope

I bought in a few other varieties of Passion Flower, I just can't get
enough of this beautiful plant!
I'm going to try a few exotics this year, havn't decided what yet!

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

Old 02-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay Easton
writes

And it's about time I got to grips with identification of grasses in the
wild, so I shall buy some named grass seed to be sure I have a firm
identification to start with ...

I've got the one called frosted curls Kay, just pulled it apart into
about four or five sections if you want one.

Janet

Old 02-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Jim W

Jason Pope wrote:

I bought in a few other varieties of Passion Flower, I just can't get
enough of this beautiful plant!
I'm going to try a few exotics this year, havn't decided what yet!

Jason

Another Passiflora fan;-) I have about 6 or 7 here, cultivars and
species. Its a little tricky shopping for cultivars as there are quite
a few that are the same being offered under different names..

Noting your tag though, I take it you are aware of the wide variation of
Passiflora seeds from their parents in terms of flowering etc..?

Cuttings from a known good strain are far superior to seed (IMHO)
/
Jim

-- Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.
http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....s&userid=murde
r1man&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

Old 02-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Jim W

Kay Easton wrote:

Victoria Clare wrote:

The catalogues have started to arrive...

What are you growing from seed this year, and why?

SNIPPED
And it's about time I got to grips with identification of grasses in the
wild, so I shall buy some named grass seed to be sure I have a firm
identification to start with ... I find a lot of my plant growing is not
so much to provide something nice for the garden, but to find out about
the growth habit and the looks of a particular plant. .. sort of .. one
step further than looking it up in a book.

Hi Kay,

I'm leaving wild stuff to the turfies meself, but cultivated wise I
intend to try some Chasmanthium that I picked up last year..

Very nice, flat seed heads (like someone pressed them).

/
Jim
Old 02-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes

And it's about time I got to grips with identification of grasses in the
wild, so I shall buy some named grass seed to be sure I have a firm
identification to start with ...

I've got the one called frosted curls Kay, just pulled it apart into
about four or five sections if you want one.

Only if you can give me the proper botanical name!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 02-11-2003, 03:32 PM
martin

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 15:15:50 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes

And it's about time I got to grips with identification of grasses in the
wild, so I shall buy some named grass seed to be sure I have a firm
identification to start with ...

I've got the one called frosted curls Kay, just pulled it apart into
about four or five sections if you want one.

Only if you can give me the proper botanical name!

Carex flagellifera ‘Frosted Curls’
http://www.grasses.co.uk/byseed/id18.htm
--
Martin