Old 31-10-2003, 03:42 PM
bigboard

Default Outdoor tomato varieties

Hello all,

In my first year with my own garden this year, I had quite a bit of
success with Gardener's Delight and Balconi Red cherry tomatoes. Both
were delicious, but weren't big and juicy enough for my ketchup recipe.
(I did make some, and it was delicious, but I only got enough for two
sausages.)

It is with this in mind that I would like to grow some bigger toms next
year. I have one of those miniature greenhouses, and a heated propagator
indoors, but otherwise will have to grow all toms outside. Can any of
you recomend outdoor tomato varieties of the larger kind that I could try?

TIA,

Jon.

Old 31-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Victoria Clare

bigboard wrote in
:

Can any of
you recomend outdoor tomato varieties of the larger kind that I could
try?

Not from personal experience, but I came across this site yesterday, which
might be of help:

http://tomatoes.plantsdatabase.com/star.php
Old 31-10-2003, 05:12 PM
bigboard

bigboard wrote:
Hello all,

In my first year with my own garden this year, I had quite a bit of
success with Gardener's Delight and Balconi Red cherry tomatoes. Both
were delicious, but weren't big and juicy enough for my ketchup recipe.
(I did make some, and it was delicious, but I only got enough for two
sausages.)

It is with this in mind that I would like to grow some bigger toms next
year. I have one of those miniature greenhouses, and a heated propagator
indoors, but otherwise will have to grow all toms outside. Can any of
you recomend outdoor tomato varieties of the larger kind that I could try?

TIA,

Jon.

P.S. I'm in North Essex.

Old 31-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Jim Paterson

"bigboard" wrote in message
Hello all,

In my first year with my own garden this year, I had quite a bit of
success with Gardener's Delight and Balconi Red cherry tomatoes. Both
were delicious, but weren't big and juicy enough for my ketchup recipe.
snip

Go for Alicante which is probably the best choice or for hardiness v quality
Moneymaker.
Tomatoes are far hardier than most folks give credit for. They wont tolerate
frost though and will be blackened like dahlias.
Just a tip. When planting outdoors, water the plants in then do NOT give
water for at least ten, yes TEN days, even longer if poss and once they are
growing away, forget about watering. all you are doing is encouraging the
roots to stay near the surface and making a rod for your own back in the
process. Jim

Old 01-11-2003, 08:32 AM
pronoun

http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/agm.asp
Try the Royal Horticultural Society it has: tomato (cherry) 'Yellow Debut'
(H3) 1998 ~ hybrid. Good flavoured, medium sized fruits on long, strong,
branched trusses. This I will try next year. Visit their award pages. H3
is, I think, half hardy.

Old 01-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Bob Hobden

Jon wrote in message
In my first year with my own garden this year, I had quite a bit of
success with Gardener's Delight and Balconi Red cherry tomatoes. Both
were delicious, but weren't big and juicy enough for my ketchup recipe.
(I did make some, and it was delicious, but I only got enough for two
sausages.)

It is with this in mind that I would like to grow some bigger toms next
year. I have one of those miniature greenhouses, and a heated propagator
indoors, but otherwise will have to grow all toms outside. Can any of
you recomend outdoor tomato varieties of the larger kind that I could try?

We grow all our Toms outdoors on the allotments... so here's my
recommendation...

Brigade (T&M) excellent cooking Tom, very meaty and red flesh.
Ferline (T&M) Blight resistant, large but normal shaped fruit.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 02-11-2003, 07:43 PM
anne

Jim Paterson wrote in message

"bigboard" wrote in message
[...]

Wandering slightly from the topic but... it was my first year with tomatoes
and I decided to grow an outdoor variety (gardener's delight) indoors, I
left two plants outside because they wouldn't fit inside. Anyway, the plants
outdoors produced perfect tomatoes but all the plants indoors produced very
poor tomatoes, only suitable for cooking. It definitely proved to me that
tomatoes can be quite hardy things. I grew outdoor cucumbers indoors aswell
(burpee) but the results there were excellent and I can't imagine they would
have done half as good outside, where they were supposed to be.

Old 04-11-2003, 10:03 AM
bigboard

bigboard wrote:
Hello all,

In my first year with my own garden this year, I had quite a bit of
success with Gardener's Delight and Balconi Red cherry tomatoes. Both
were delicious, but weren't big and juicy enough for my ketchup recipe.
(I did make some, and it was delicious, but I only got enough for two
sausages.)

It is with this in mind that I would like to grow some bigger toms next
year. I have one of those miniature greenhouses, and a heated propagator
indoors, but otherwise will have to grow all toms outside. Can any of
you recomend outdoor tomato varieties of the larger kind that I could try?

TIA,

Jon.

Thank you to all for the advice and suggestions. I'll let you know how I
get on next year!