GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Remind me why I wanted rain? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/46526-remind-me-why-i-wanted-rain.html)

David W.E. Roberts 02-11-2003 12:22 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

Hi,

I know that we have had too little rain, and the crops are struggling, and
the lawn still looks like it has been Naplamed, but wouldn't some gentle
overnight rain have been enough?

All those pretty 'once in a lifetime' displays of autumn leaves are being
blown off as the trees bend from vertical to horizontal.

And there is worse to come.

Make it stop a little?

Please?

Whooooooooooooooooooo!!

Dave R

shazzbat 02-11-2003 09:02 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

I know that we have had too little rain, and the crops are struggling, and
the lawn still looks like it has been Naplamed, but wouldn't some gentle
overnight rain have been enough?

All those pretty 'once in a lifetime' displays of autumn leaves are being
blown off as the trees bend from vertical to horizontal.

And there is worse to come.

Make it stop a little?

Please?

Whooooooooooooooooooo!!

Dave R

--

Be careful what you wish for.......

Steve (All my containers are full now)

Heather 02-11-2003 11:02 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

Make it stop a little?

Please?

Whooooooooooooooooooo!!

Dave R

and at least it showed me which gutters were in need of emptying (of moss
and leaves that is). Unfortunately it was all of them........

Heather

--

Spamtrap in operation. To reply to me direct put out the BINs. To save
yourself the trouble, reply to the Group.

David Hill 03-11-2003 01:23 AM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

Well I was lifting dahlias day before yesterday (Saturday), and despite
having had over 3 inches of rain they were still coming up clean and almost
dry.
Don't know how they will be to morrow after another inch and a half +

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Philip 03-11-2003 12:22 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
Well I was lifting dahlias day before yesterday (Saturday), and despite
having had over 3 inches of rain they were still coming up clean and almost
dry.
Don't know how they will be to morrow after another inch and a half +

Suburban Surrey reports :

Saturday morning conditions -

Ground which I turned over last week has had a good soaking and is wet
down as deep as I care to look.
Ground which has lain undistrubed all summer is only showing dampness
for the first 1.5 to 2 inches.

I am hoping to see it wetter now since both Saturday and Sunday nights
delivered considerably more rain.

David W.E. Roberts 05-11-2003 06:22 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

I know that we have had too little rain, and the crops are struggling, and
the lawn still looks like it has been Naplamed, but wouldn't some gentle
overnight rain have been enough?

All those pretty 'once in a lifetime' displays of autumn leaves are being
blown off as the trees bend from vertical to horizontal.

And there is worse to come.

Make it stop a little?

Please?

Whooooooooooooooooooo!!

Dave R

Seems that a plea to URG (all hail) brings results!

Been a lovely few days.

Cheers
Dave R

David Hill 05-11-2003 07:12 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

We've had just over 4 inches of rain and winds of up to 70 mph in the last
few days.
This morning I took the camera out and took a few pics, posted on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens under "November colour"
was also lifting dahlias this afternoon and the soil still isn't wet, just
moist, still falling off easily.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

JennyC 06-11-2003 06:12 AM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

"David Hill" wrote in message
We've had just over 4 inches of rain and winds of up to 70 mph in the last
few days.
This morning I took the camera out and took a few pics, posted on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens under "November colour"
was also lifting dahlias this afternoon and the soil still isn't wet, just
moist, still falling off easily.
David Hill

Curious as i am, I tried to go to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, but it does
not appear on my list (via News.CIS.DFN.DE)

I know a lot of URGlers use the same server. How do you access
alt.bin..........?

Jenny

Ron Clark 06-11-2003 06:12 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:08:32 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

Curious as i am, I tried to go to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, but it does
not appear on my list (via News.CIS.DFN.DE)

I know a lot of URGlers use the same server. How do you access
alt.bin..........?

Freeserve carry it

--
®óñ© © ²°°³

martin 06-11-2003 08:14 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

"David Hill" wrote in message
We've had just over 4 inches of rain and winds of up to 70 mph in the =

last
few days.
This morning I took the camera out and took a few pics, posted on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens under "November colour"
was also lifting dahlias this afternoon and the soil still isn't wet,=

just
moist, still falling off easily.
David Hill

Curious as i am, I tried to go to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, but it=

does
not appear on my list (via News.CIS.DFN.DE)

News.cis.dfn.de doesn't provide binary newsgroups.

I know a lot of URGlers use the same server. How do you access
alt.bin..........?

Jenny

--=20
Martin

martin 06-11-2003 08:14 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

"David Hill" wrote in message
We've had just over 4 inches of rain and winds of up to 70 mph in the =

last
few days.
This morning I took the camera out and took a few pics, posted on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens under "November colour"
was also lifting dahlias this afternoon and the soil still isn't wet,=

just
moist, still falling off easily.
David Hill

Curious as i am, I tried to go to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, but it=

does
not appear on my list (via News.CIS.DFN.DE)

I know a lot of URGlers use the same server. How do you access
alt.bin..........?

I can access it with news.wanadoo.nl

Ask Cello to add it to their news server.

psst! wanna buy a picture missus? :-)
--=20
Martin

Franz Heymann 06-11-2003 09:12 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

"Ron Clark" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:08:32 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

Curious as i am, I tried to go to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, but it

does
not appear on my list (via News.CIS.DFN.DE)

I know a lot of URGlers use the same server. How do you access
alt.bin..........?

Freeserve carry it

So does btopenworld

Franz

Jaques d'Alltrades 08-11-2003 12:03 AM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

The message
from Ron Clark contains these words:
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:08:32 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

Curious as i am, I tried to go to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, but
it does
not appear on my list (via News.CIS.DFN.DE)

I know a lot of URGlers use the same server. How do you access
alt.bin..........?

Freeserve carry it

So does Zetnet.

--
Rusty Hinge

martin 08-11-2003 10:02 AM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 21:27:34 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Ron Clark contains these words:
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:08:32 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

Curious as i am, I tried to go to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, but
it does
not appear on my list (via News.CIS.DFN.DE)

I know a lot of URGlers use the same server. How do you access
alt.bin..........?

Freeserve carry it

So does Zetnet.

which offers free virus deletion on server, as you probably know?
--=20
Martin

Jaques d'Alltrades 08-11-2003 12:13 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:
The message
from Ron Clark contains these words:
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:08:32 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

Curious as i am, I tried to go to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, but
it does
not appear on my list (via News.CIS.DFN.DE)

I know a lot of URGlers use the same server. How do you access
alt.bin..........?

Freeserve carry it

So does Zetnet.

which offers free virus deletion on server, as you probably know?

Yes. We do get to notice such benefits, especially as many of us use a
system of downloaded (and uploaded) packets for offline processing. You
tend to get a bit ipssde-fof if you receive twenty or thirty Svens in a
download innit.

--
Rusty Hinge
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

martin 08-11-2003 03:32 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

wrote:

Curious as i am, I tried to go to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, =

but
it does
not appear on my list (via News.CIS.DFN.DE)

I know a lot of URGlers use the same server. How do you access
alt.bin..........?

Freeserve carry it

So does Zetnet.

which offers free virus deletion on server, as you probably know?

Yes. We do get to notice such benefits, especially as many of us use a
system of downloaded (and uploaded) packets for offline processing. You
tend to get a bit ipssde-fof if you receive twenty or thirty Svens in a
download innit.

Only 20 or 30? I am down to around 50 from about 150-200 a day. Swens
that is.
--=20
Martin

Jaques d'Alltrades 08-11-2003 09:03 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

The message
from martin contains these words:

Yes. We do get to notice such benefits, especially as many of us use a
system of downloaded (and uploaded) packets for offline processing. You
tend to get a bit ipssde-fof if you receive twenty or thirty Svens in a
download innit.

Only 20 or 30? I am down to around 50 from about 150-200 a day. Swens
that is.

Haven't seen one for - well, actually, I don't think I've seen one of
them at all - I think the rot was stopped before that particular beauty
was released into the wild.

martin 08-11-2003 10:22 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 18:34:26 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

Yes. We do get to notice such benefits, especially as many of us use =

system of downloaded (and uploaded) packets for offline processing. =

You
tend to get a bit ipssde-fof if you receive twenty or thirty Svens in=

download innit.

Only 20 or 30? I am down to around 50 from about 150-200 a day. Swens
that is.

Haven't seen one for - well, actually, I don't think I've seen one of
them at all - I think the rot was stopped before that particular beauty
was released into the wild.

How do you mean? Franz and I have both been plagued with them, as have
most of my colleagues. I think it's probably the nastiest yet.
--=20
Martin

Jaques d'Alltrades 09-11-2003 01:23 AM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

Yes. We do get to notice such benefits, especially as many of us use a
system of downloaded (and uploaded) packets for offline processing. You
tend to get a bit ipssde-fof if you receive twenty or thirty Svens in a
download innit.

Only 20 or 30? I am down to around 50 from about 150-200 a day. Swens
that is.

Haven't seen one for - well, actually, I don't think I've seen one of
them at all - I think the rot was stopped before that particular beauty
was released into the wild.

How do you mean? Franz and I have both been plagued with them, as have
most of my colleagues. I think it's probably the nastiest yet.

Our ISP kills them as they arrive on the server.

I was getting twenty or thirty a day of the first worm, then a certain
boffin wrote a filter and zapped them on arrival.

Zetnuts no longer get any.

martin 09-11-2003 09:04 AM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 00:47:40 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

How do you mean? Franz and I have both been plagued with them, as have
most of my colleagues. I think it's probably the nastiest yet.

Our ISP kills them as they arrive on the server.

I was getting twenty or thirty a day of the first worm, then a certain
boffin wrote a filter and zapped them on arrival.

So do most ISPs, if you are aware they offer the service and ask for
it.
I think all the ISPs are using the same tool.=20

Zetnuts no longer get any.

How have they managed to do that?=20
--=20
Martin

Anthony Anson 09-11-2003 12:03 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

wrote:

How do you mean? Franz and I have both been plagued with them, as have
most of my colleagues. I think it's probably the nastiest yet.

Our ISP kills them as they arrive on the server.

I was getting twenty or thirty a day of the first worm, then a certain
boffin wrote a filter and zapped them on arrival.

So do most ISPs, if you are aware they offer the service and ask for
it.
I think all the ISPs are using the same tool.

I don't. Not unless our boffin has shared his codes. This was done
in-house, and PDQ. ISTR it was promised 'soon - tomorrow if you're
lucky' or similar. However, the flow suddenly stopped a couple of hours
later.

Zetnuts no longer get any.

How have they managed to do that?

Wodjer mean? They're killed as they hit the mail servers, so Zetnuts -
that's us - don't have the pleasure of seeing them pile up in our
mailboxen.

Not only that, but for those of us connoisseurs who use Zetnets
homebrewed software, ZIMACS, it's extremely difficult to contract a
virus, worm or Trojan through mail anyway. Indeed, you have to be
extremely gullible or mindbogglingly stupid unwittingly to activate one.

In this I don't include the one or two Zetnuts who regularly Wumpus
their HDDs and ran the thing out of curiosity.

HTH

--
Tony
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

martin 09-11-2003 12:23 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

wrote:

How do you mean? Franz and I have both been plagued with them, as have
most of my colleagues. I think it's probably the nastiest yet.

Our ISP kills them as they arrive on the server.

I was getting twenty or thirty a day of the first worm, then a certain
boffin wrote a filter and zapped them on arrival.

So do most ISPs, if you are aware they offer the service and ask for
it.
I think all the ISPs are using the same tool.

I don't. Not unless our boffin has shared his codes.

or made use of somebody else's?

This was done
in-house, and PDQ. ISTR it was promised 'soon - tomorrow if you're
lucky' or similar. However, the flow suddenly stopped a couple of hours
later.

It existed sometime ago elsewhere. It would be amazing if somebody in
house was to implement something from scratch that was readily
available elsewhere.

Zetnuts no longer get any.

How have they managed to do that?

Wodjer mean? They're killed as they hit the mail servers, so Zetnuts -
that's us - don't have the pleasure of seeing them pile up in our
mailboxen.

I thought he was referring to the ISP, not the users.

Not only that, but for those of us connoisseurs who use Zetnets
homebrewed software, ZIMACS, it's extremely difficult to contract a
virus, worm or Trojan through mail anyway. Indeed, you have to be
extremely gullible or mindbogglingly stupid unwittingly to activate one.

Oddly enough this also applies to users, who have never heard of
Zetnets. I would use the word "ignorant", rather than insult average
users.

You will be telling us next that Zetnet also identifies and tags
e-mail Spam too.

In this I don't include the one or two Zetnuts who regularly Wumpus
their HDDs and ran the thing out of curiosity.

HTH

I didn't really need any :-)
--
Martin

Jaques d'Alltrades 09-11-2003 07:04 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

The message
from martin contains these words:

I think all the ISPs are using the same tool.

I don't. Not unless our boffin has shared his codes.

or made use of somebody else's?

Nope. I know exactly what he did, but am not shouting it out for fear of
some little infective oik getting to hear.

This was done
in-house, and PDQ. ISTR it was promised 'soon - tomorrow if you're
lucky' or similar. However, the flow suddenly stopped a couple of hours
later.

It existed sometime ago elsewhere. It would be amazing if somebody in
house was to implement something from scratch that was readily
available elsewhere.

That depends on

a) how much it cost, and
b) on the implementer
c) just how good it was
d) and just how good a programmer he is. He is. And formidably bright -
you can read by the light of his proximity.

Zetnuts no longer get any.

How have they managed to do that?

Wodjer mean? They're killed as they hit the mail servers, so Zetnuts -
that's us - don't have the pleasure of seeing them pile up in our
mailboxen.

I thought he was referring to the ISP, not the users.

He? *NOW* who / what are we talking about?

Anyone who isn't a Zetnut needs some, if only to direct him to www.zetnet.com

martin 09-11-2003 08:13 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 16:26:46 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

I think all the ISPs are using the same tool.

I don't. Not unless our boffin has shared his codes.

or made use of somebody else's?

Nope. I know exactly what he did, but am not shouting it out for fear of
some little infective oik getting to hear.

I think most people managed to kill Swen. If I wasn't an Agent user I
could have done it on the server.

This was done
in-house, and PDQ. ISTR it was promised 'soon - tomorrow if you're
lucky' or similar. However, the flow suddenly stopped a couple of hours
later.

It existed sometime ago elsewhere. It would be amazing if somebody in
house was to implement something from scratch that was readily
available elsewhere.

That depends on

a) how much it cost, and
b) on the implementer
c) just how good it was
d) and just how good a programmer he is. He is. And formidably bright -
you can read by the light of his proximity.

Are you talking about Swen or a normal antivirus running on the ISP's
server?

Zetnuts no longer get any.

How have they managed to do that?

Wodjer mean? They're killed as they hit the mail servers, so Zetnuts -
that's us - don't have the pleasure of seeing them pile up in our
mailboxen.

I thought he was referring to the ISP, not the users.

He? *NOW* who / what are we talking about?

You!

Not only that, but for those of us connoisseurs who use Zetnets
homebrewed software, ZIMACS, it's extremely difficult to contract a
virus, worm or Trojan through mail anyway. Indeed, you have to be
extremely gullible or mindbogglingly stupid unwittingly to activate one.

Oddly enough this also applies to users, who have never heard of
Zetnets. I would use the word "ignorant", rather than insult average
users.

You will be telling us next that Zetnet also identifies and tags
e-mail Spam too.

Well does it?

In this I don't include the one or two Zetnuts who regularly Wumpus
their HDDs and ran the thing out of curiosity.

HTH

I didn't really need any :-)

Anyone who isn't a Zetnut needs some, if only to direct him to www.zetnet.com

It's not the only good ISP in the world.
--
Martin

Franz Heymann 09-11-2003 08:32 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

"Anthony Anson" wrote in message

[snip]

Wodjer mean? They're killed as they hit the mail servers, so Zetnuts -
that's us - don't have the pleasure of seeing them pile up in our
mailboxen.

That sounds very dangerous. What guarantee do you have that you are not
losing good stuff?

[snip]

Franz

Franz Heymann 09-11-2003 08:32 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 09:49:50 GMT, Anthony Anson
wrote:

[snip]

This was done
in-house, and PDQ. ISTR it was promised 'soon - tomorrow if you're
lucky' or similar. However, the flow suddenly stopped a couple of hours
later.

It existed sometime ago elsewhere. It would be amazing if somebody in
house was to implement something from scratch that was readily
available elsewhere.

And even more amazing if they really did it in a couple of hours.

Franz

Jaques d'Alltrades 10-11-2003 12:44 AM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

The message
from martin contains these words:

Nope. I know exactly what he did, but am not shouting it out for fear of
some little infective oik getting to hear.

I think most people managed to kill Swen. If I wasn't an Agent user I
could have done it on the server.

Automatically?

This was done
in-house, and PDQ. ISTR it was promised 'soon - tomorrow if you're
lucky' or similar. However, the flow suddenly stopped a couple of hours
later.

It existed sometime ago elsewhere. It would be amazing if somebody in
house was to implement something from scratch that was readily
available elsewhere.

That depends on

a) how much it cost, and
b) on the implementer
c) just how good it was
d) and just how good a programmer he is. He is. And formidably bright -
you can read by the light of his proximity.

Are you talking about Swen or a normal antivirus running on the ISP's
server?

I'm talking about the latest rash of worms and Trojans.

Zetnuts no longer get any.

How have they managed to do that?

Wodjer mean? They're killed as they hit the mail servers, so Zetnuts -
that's us - don't have the pleasure of seeing them pile up in our
mailboxen.

I thought he was referring to the ISP, not the users.

He? *NOW* who / what are we talking about?

You!

So whom are you addressing?

Does not compute.

/snip/

You will be telling us next that Zetnet also identifies and tags
e-mail Spam too.

Well does it?

I told you befo it's a criminal act to interfere with
e-communications without the consent of both the recipient and the
sender.

In this I don't include the one or two Zetnuts who regularly Wumpus
their HDDs and ran the thing out of curiosity.

HTH

I didn't really need any :-)

Anyone who isn't a Zetnut needs some, if only to direct him to
www.zetnet.com

It's not the only good ISP in the world.

No, but it compares very favourably with any other I've come across,
which is why I've stayed with them for more than seven years.

And, be it said, never found the need to subscribe to any other.

Jaques d'Alltrades 10-11-2003 12:44 AM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
wrote:

[snip]

This was done
in-house, and PDQ. ISTR it was promised 'soon - tomorrow if you're
lucky' or similar. However, the flow suddenly stopped a couple of hours
later.

It existed sometime ago elsewhere. It would be amazing if somebody in
house was to implement something from scratch that was readily
available elsewhere.

And even more amazing if they really did it in a couple of hours.

No. Just knowing what to do and how to do it.

Jaques d'Alltrades 10-11-2003 12:44 AM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"Anthony Anson" wrote in message

[snip]

Wodjer mean? They're killed as they hit the mail servers, so Zetnuts -
that's us - don't have the pleasure of seeing them pile up in our
mailboxen.

That sounds very dangerous. What guarantee do you have that you are not
losing good stuff?

How much good stuff comes with a virus attached?

Personally, I'd prefer the unlikely risk of losing the odd e-mail with
an innocently passed-on virus than use up my online time allocation with
several half-hour downloads a day of stuff I'll only delete.

Franz Heymann 10-11-2003 07:13 AM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message

[snip]

I told you befo it's a criminal act to interfere with
e-communications without the consent of both the recipient and the
sender.

Then my ISP is a criminal. He is interfering with the spam which is
intended for me. I asked him to do so, but I am as certain as I can be that
he did not ask the spammers for their permission to interfere on my behalf.
He has succeeded in reducing the spam I receive in my inbox to between 1 and
2% of what it used to be. He has also succeded in removing Swen-like
attacks to zero.

Franz

Franz Heymann 10-11-2003 07:23 AM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

wrote:

[snip]

This was done
in-house, and PDQ. ISTR it was promised 'soon - tomorrow if you're
lucky' or similar. However, the flow suddenly stopped a couple of

hours
later.

It existed sometime ago elsewhere. It would be amazing if somebody in
house was to implement something from scratch that was readily
available elsewhere.

And even more amazing if they really did it in a couple of hours.

No. Just knowing what to do and how to do it.

I remain a doubting Thomas, but let it be.

Franz

Franz Heymann 10-11-2003 07:23 AM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:
"Anthony Anson" wrote in message

[snip]

Wodjer mean? They're killed as they hit the mail servers, so Zetnuts -
that's us - don't have the pleasure of seeing them pile up in our
mailboxen.

That sounds very dangerous. What guarantee do you have that you are not
losing good stuff?

How much good stuff comes with a virus attached?

My mistake. I was thinking of both virii and spammed email.

martin 10-11-2003 08:34 AM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 23:23:21 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

Nope. I know exactly what he did, but am not shouting it out for fear of
some little infective oik getting to hear.

I think most people managed to kill Swen. If I wasn't an Agent user I
could have done it on the server.

Automatically?

Yes using filters. I was already doing it manually.

This was done
in-house, and PDQ. ISTR it was promised 'soon - tomorrow if you're
lucky' or similar. However, the flow suddenly stopped a couple of hours
later.

It existed sometime ago elsewhere. It would be amazing if somebody in
house was to implement something from scratch that was readily
available elsewhere.

That depends on

a) how much it cost, and
b) on the implementer
c) just how good it was
d) and just how good a programmer he is. He is. And formidably bright -
you can read by the light of his proximity.

Are you talking about Swen or a normal antivirus running on the ISP's
server?

I'm talking about the latest rash of worms and Trojans.

I don't see any so I don't know which rash you refer to.

Zetnuts no longer get any.

How have they managed to do that?

Wodjer mean? They're killed as they hit the mail servers, so Zetnuts -
that's us - don't have the pleasure of seeing them pile up in our
mailboxen.

I thought he was referring to the ISP, not the users.

He? *NOW* who / what are we talking about?

You!

So whom are you addressing?

Does not compute.

/snip/

You will be telling us next that Zetnet also identifies and tags
e-mail Spam too.

Well does it?

I told you befo it's a criminal act to interfere with
e-communications without the consent of both the recipient and the
sender.

and I told you, that you are talking ********.

Please don't put off other people using a facility, that is readily
available from most good ISPs in UK.

Take it up on uk.net.news.config

In this I don't include the one or two Zetnuts who regularly Wumpus
their HDDs and ran the thing out of curiosity.

HTH

I didn't really need any :-)

Anyone who isn't a Zetnut needs some, if only to direct him to
www.zetnet.com

It's not the only good ISP in the world.

No, but it compares very favourably with any other I've come across,
which is why I've stayed with them for more than seven years.

And, be it said, never found the need to subscribe to any other.

but then you believe it's illegal to have your Spam identified for you
by your server.
--
Martin

Christopher Norton 10-11-2003 11:33 AM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

Yes. We do get to notice such benefits, especially as many of us use a
system of downloaded (and uploaded) packets for offline processing. You
tend to get a bit ipssde-fof if you receive twenty or thirty Svens in a
download innit.

Only 20 or 30? I am down to around 50 from about 150-200 a day. Swens
that is.

Haven't seen one for - well, actually, I don't think I've seen one of
them at all - I think the rot was stopped before that particular beauty
was released into the wild.

How do you mean? Franz and I have both been plagued with them, as have
most of my colleagues. I think it's probably the nastiest yet.
--
Martin

I`ve never had that amount of them. Maybe my filters have been good
enough to keep it out.

martin 10-11-2003 12:13 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:59:05 GMT, Christopher Norton
wrote:

How do you mean? Franz and I have both been plagued with them, as have
most of my colleagues. I think it's probably the nastiest yet.
--
Martin

I`ve never had that amount of them. Maybe my filters have been good
enough to keep it out.

I suspect it depends on who had Swen and one's e-mail address in an OE
address list. Initially most of mine were supposedly sent from
Microsoft. For the last couple of weeks most are supposedly from
Italy, France and the southern hemisphere. Maybe 10% have been
supposedly from UK. The flow is slowly decreasing. I am down to around
a hundred a day now. I haven't actually received these viruses for a
month now. I get a short message, including the supposed poster, from
my ISP each time it intercepts a virus.
--
Martin

Jaques d'Alltrades 10-11-2003 04:32 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

I told you befo it's a criminal act to interfere with
e-communications without the consent of both the recipient and the
sender.

Then my ISP is a criminal. He is interfering with the spam which is
intended for me. I asked him to do so, but I am as certain as I can be that
he did not ask the spammers for their permission to interfere on my behalf.
He has succeeded in reducing the spam I receive in my inbox to between 1 and
2% of what it used to be. He has also succeded in removing Swen-like
attacks to zero.

Swen is different: you don't have to open the interpersonal
correspondence to kill it.

Intercepting and scanning personal mail is a criminal offence unless the
recipient is your employee and usimg your system to receive his/her
mail.

This was enacted before spam became a real problem, but the law applies
in principle.

It would be up to the DPP to initiate proceedings on a complaint.
Probably, with regard to spam, in the admittedly unlikely event of it
going to court the beaks would find in favour of your ISP.

Just the legal costs of defending such an action could bankrupt some (if
not all) small ISPs though, which is why Zetnet for one wrote a killfile
into its software, but won't intercept it on the server.

Jaques d'Alltrades 10-11-2003 04:32 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

And even more amazing if they really did it in a couple of hours.

No. Just knowing what to do and how to do it.

I remain a doubting Thomas, but let it be.

The man himself (a director of Zetnet) comes and chats in the (Zet)newsgroups.

He said he'd try, he said what he was going to do, and shortly
afterwards - bo more worms.

Jaques d'Alltrades 10-11-2003 04:32 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

My mistake. I was thinking of both virii and spammed email.

pedant

Virus is a collective noun.

/pedant

Jaques d'Alltrades 10-11-2003 04:32 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

I`ve never had that amount of them. Maybe my filters have been good
enough to keep it out.

Paul wrote an ickle script that zaps them on the swerver.

Jaques d'Alltrades 10-11-2003 04:32 PM

Remind me why I wanted rain?

The message
from martin contains these words:

I told you befo it's a criminal act to interfere with
e-communications without the consent of both the recipient and the
sender.

and I told you, that you are talking ********.

And I said that I wasn't arguing with you, I was telling you. Zetnet
took legal advice.

Please don't put off other people using a facility, that is readily
available from most good ISPs in UK.

It isn't the subscriber who is committing the act. How can that put
anyone off?

Take it up on uk.net.news.config

And they will do what? Overrule Parliament?

/snip/

It's not the only good ISP in the world.

No, but it compares very favourably with any other I've come across,
which is why I've stayed with them for more than seven years.

And, be it said, never found the need to subscribe to any other.

but then you believe it's illegal to have your Spam identified for you
by your server.

No. You suggested that. I never said anything about identification.

(But it's not a bad idea, and Andy could write a simple filter to kill
anything so identified. Thanks for that....)