Old 06-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Rich

Default Hydrangea mop head blue

Hi,

I planted a hydrangea back in the summer.It has been growing well.
The problem is that since the clocks have gone back,I stopped watering
it and now the leaves on the top and side have started curling and
going brown/black.It looks to me that the cold has got to it, but I'm
not sure.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with it and what I should do to make it
healthy again?

It was all green and healthy before the winter.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Martin Sykes

"Rich" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I planted a hydrangea back in the summer.It has been growing well.
The problem is that since the clocks have gone back,I stopped watering
it and now the leaves on the top and side have started curling and
going brown/black.It looks to me that the cold has got to it, but I'm
not sure.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with it and what I should do to make it
healthy again?

It was all green and healthy before the winter.

Thanks

Hydrangea dies off over winter. Next spring, when the new buds are showing,
cut back to a low bud ( but not the lowest ) on each branch. It'll grow back
fine next year. The reason you don't cut back to the very lowest bud is that
a late frost might kill it. If you've left a couple of buds, the top one
will start growing first. If it gets caught by a late frost, wait until
there are definitely no more frosts possible then cut it back further to an
undamaged bud.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 06-11-2003, 12:22 PM
David Hill

Hydrangeas will loose their leaves for the winter, but they shouldn't die
back. The flower buds are at the end if the twigs, so if they die off then
no flowers

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
"Rich" wrote in message
[...]

I have always understood that Hydrangeas flower from the buds at the ends of
the previous year's growth. In that case, you should not prune "to a low
bud (but not the lowest) on each branch", but leave about half unpruned.

Franz

Mop top robinia problem Steve Australia 5 29-05-2006 08:21 AM
Gold Mop Cypress Buck B. Nekkid Lawns 2 18-12-2005 02:27 AM
Help: Robina Mop Top Bleanne Australia 4 17-10-2005 06:46 AM
Replacement Weed-Wacker Head: "Grass Gator Load n' Cut" fixed 4 line head - Any Good ? Robert11 Lawns 1 05-07-2005 10:35 AM
Would you like some Eggs with that Mop? Egg-dentify David Ponds 3 26-07-2003 04:32 PM