Old 19-05-2006, 01:26 AM posted to aus.gardens
Steve

Default Mop top robinia problem

I have a problem with a stand of 3 mop tops in my front yard. After 12
months in the ground they have growth but it is very spindly and not
lush at all. Almost anaemic looking. They do have fresh growth
visible, but they do not appear to have matured much from when they
were first planted. They do not get a lot of sun on the South side of
the house where they are planted.

Another mop top from the same batch is planted on the North side of the
house is doing very well in full sunlight.

Is the sunlight the problem?
Will the robinias come good eventually or should I bite the bullet and
get something else?
What could I get that would replicate the effect of the raised coverage
that the robinia provides?

Thanks.
Steve.

Old 19-05-2006, 07:42 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article .com,
"Steve" wrote:

I have a problem with a stand of 3 mop tops in my front yard. After 12
months in the ground they have growth but it is very spindly and not
lush at all. Almost anaemic looking. They do have fresh growth
visible, but they do not appear to have matured much from when they
were first planted. They do not get a lot of sun on the South side of
the house where they are planted.

Another mop top from the same batch is planted on the North side of the
house is doing very well in full sunlight.

Is the sunlight the problem?

Sounds like it. Robinias are usually planted in full sun.

Will the robinias come good eventually or should I bite the bullet and
get something else?

I'd get something better suited to the conditions. Is the house a two-storey
one -- ie, the position is almost entirely shaded?

What could I get that would replicate the effect of the raised coverage
that the robinia provides?

Tree ferns?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 19-05-2006, 01:49 PM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1

"Steve" wrote in message
I have a problem with a stand of 3 mop tops in my front yard. After

12
months in the ground they have growth but it is very spindly and not
lush at all. Almost anaemic looking. They do have fresh growth
visible, but they do not appear to have matured much from when they
were first planted. They do not get a lot of sun on the South side

of
the house where they are planted.

Another mop top from the same batch is planted on the North side of

the
house is doing very well in full sunlight.

Is the sunlight the problem?

Huh???? Why do they have new growth on them at this time of year?
They are deciduous. At this time of the year they should be losing
leaves and not getting new growth.

Old 22-05-2006, 08:03 AM posted to aus.gardens
Steve

There are some small newish green leaves (I may have mistook small
growth for new growth) but the main leaves are now starting to yellow.
Another thing was that the leaves are much smaller than the healthy
plant that I do have. I did speak to a nursery on the weekend and they
suggested that there are two things that mop tops hate - wet roots and
shade. It looks like I may have to move these and try something else.

I did see the Evergreen Cascade® Alnus on hellohello.com.au which may
suit. Any comments on these?

Steve

Old 23-05-2006, 09:58 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article . com,
"Steve" wrote:

There are some small newish green leaves (I may have mistook small
growth for new growth) but the main leaves are now starting to yellow.
Another thing was that the leaves are much smaller than the healthy
plant that I do have. I did speak to a nursery on the weekend and they
suggested that there are two things that mop tops hate - wet roots and
shade. It looks like I may have to move these and try something else.

I did see the Evergreen Cascade® Alnus on hellohello.com.au which may
suit. Any comments on these?

Nah. Couple of nice gum trees.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

Old 29-05-2006, 08:21 AM posted to aus.gardens
Vampyre

Steve wrote:
There are some small newish green leaves (I may have mistook small
growth for new growth) but the main leaves are now starting to yellow.
Another thing was that the leaves are much smaller than the healthy
plant that I do have. I did speak to a nursery on the weekend and they
suggested that there are two things that mop tops hate - wet roots and
shade. It looks like I may have to move these and try something else.

I did see the Evergreen Cascade® Alnus on hellohello.com.au which may
suit. Any comments on these?

Steve

I've got 4 Moptops and a Cascade. Both seem pretty well indestructable.
My moptops are fairly sheltered, and have pretty wet roots.
One is in a pot that I neglect to water and it isn't doing all that
well compared to the others which have grown to a huge size over about
3 years.
I like the cascade, but as a weeping tree it doesn't grow any higher
than when you bought it. (Mine is a little short... You live and learn
I guess)

Mop sink ok in greenhouse? Trent-Lion Gardening 10 29-05-2006 04:20 PM
Gold Mop Cypress Buck B. Nekkid Lawns 2 18-12-2005 02:27 AM
Help: Robina Mop Top Bleanne Australia 4 17-10-2005 06:46 AM
Hydrangea mop head blue Rich United Kingdom 4 07-11-2003 01:23 AM
Would you like some Eggs with that Mop? Egg-dentify David Ponds 3 26-07-2003 04:32 PM