Old 07-11-2003, 05:32 PM
PK

Default preparation of ground for shed

Victoria Clare wrote:
Anne Jackson wrote in news:2003110714465576656
@zetnet.co.uk:

My first husband built a shed the year we moved into this house
('68). He set it up on bearers (not tanalised, there was no such
thing in them days!) and it's as good as the day it was built. Last
shed we bought (10 years ago) was set on paving slabs, and we took
it down this summer because it was rotting from the base up, and
ready to fall down.

Yet mine was raised on breezeblocks (with bearers sitting on top of
them) and it rotted through from the bottom up!

Is there a right answer?

Breeze blocks (some types anyway) are very porous and would wick up & hold
ground moisture rather than isolating the beareres.

A simple membrane of builder plastic sheet above between bearer and block
would help.

Easiest good practice I've seen is wooden bearers over a shingle layer set
to allow water to drain away.

pk

Old 08-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Tumbleweed

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..
I have had my last two sheds on tanalised wooden bearers. Very easy to

lay,
lets the air circulate underneath and keeps everything dry.

Including rodents?
Perfect nesting conditions.

There is very good air circulation all around that so it isnt good for
nesting because the air can blow all the way through. Might be a problem if
one end was blocked up. havent seen any nests at all, we do get a few frogs
sheltering under there in the summer.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 08-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Anne Jackson

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..
I have had my last two sheds on tanalised wooden bearers. Very easy to

lay,
lets the air circulate underneath and keeps everything dry.

Including rodents?
Perfect nesting conditions.

There is very good air circulation all around that so it isnt good for
nesting because the air can blow all the way through. Might be a problem if
one end was blocked up. havent seen any nests at all, we do get a few frogs
sheltering under there in the summer.

We get hedgehogs nesting under our old shed.

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282
Old 08-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Tumbleweed

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..
I have had my last two sheds on tanalised wooden bearers. Very easy

lay,
lets the air circulate underneath and keeps everything dry.

Including rodents?
Perfect nesting conditions.

There is very good air circulation all around that so it isnt good for
nesting because the air can blow all the way through. Might be a problem

if
one end was blocked up. havent seen any nests at all, we do get a few

frogs
sheltering under there in the summer.

We get hedgehogs nesting under our old shed.

Well, a good resaon to do this then :-)

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 10-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Chris Hogg

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 23:39:33 +0000, Victoria Clare
wrote:

Last weekend we tore down the remains of our old garden shed, which was
slowly rotting from the bottom up.

Our shed has mini-guttering around the edge of the roof. Catches the
water that would run off down to the base, and discharges into a water
butt.

--
Chris