Old 22-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Registered User

Default Indoor Hyacinth Problems

Hi,

Last year I was given 2x Hyacinth bulbs that had flowered. I have re-grown them this year, but the as of yet have not flowered. Aside form the large leaves that are sprouting from the top of the bulb, there are also side leaves or side shoots beginning to show, say 3-4 cm away from the bulb.

Thaey are in a cool & bright position - I have some cyclamen nearby that are thriving.

Should I cut these side shoots off, or let them grow? Or am I totally wasting my time, as, perhaps, hyacinth bulbs that give off side shoots will not flower?

Thanks for your advice,

James
Old 22-11-2003, 09:46 AM
Robert

: Hi,
:
: Last year I was given 2x Hyacinth bulbs that had flowered. I have
: re-grown them this year, but the as of yet have not flowered. Aside
: form the large leaves that are sprouting from the top of the bulb,
: there are also side leaves or side shoots beginning to show, say 3-4
: cm away from the bulb.
:
: Thaey are in a cool & bright position - I have some cyclamen nearby
: that are thriving.
:
: Should I cut these side shoots off, or let them grow? Or am I totally
: wasting my time, as, perhaps, hyacinth bulbs that give off side shoots
: will not flower?
:
: Thanks for your advice,
:
: James

Just let them go, they won't flower like they did last year but you get
smaller flowers. You just reminded me to check mine lol

Old 22-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Robert

:: Hi,
::
[...]

and they are looking great. Just taken them out of the dark roof space so I
may have them in flower in time for Christmas for a change

Old 25-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Michael Berridge

jamescarver wrote in message ...
Hi,

Last year I was given 2x Hyacinth bulbs that had flowered. I have
re-grown them this year, but the as of yet have not flowered. Aside
form the large leaves that are sprouting from the top of the bulb,
there are also side leaves or side shoots beginning to show, say 3-4 cm
away from the bulb.

Thaey are in a cool & bright position - I have some cyclamen nearby
that are thriving.

Should I cut these side shoots off, or let them grow? Or am I totally
wasting my time, as, perhaps, hyacinth bulbs that give off side shoots
will not flower?

It's highly unlikely they will flower this year as when you bought them
they were specially prepared for early flowering. The best way to deal
with such bulbs is to plant them in the garden after flowering, and buy
some new ones for next year.
Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk