Old 23-11-2003, 08:04 AM
Brian Watson

Default Allotment book

Having just become the half-share owner of an immense allotment plot, I'm
looking for a book that might help me start planning my course of action at
this off-site gardening area.

Fortunately it has just been rotavated and the site seems to be relatively
weed-free, even in the overturned clods of dark (fen) soil, so that bodes
well for the spring.

Any suggestions please?
--
Brian
"I know about kittens and knitting. Will that do?"

Old 23-11-2003, 11:17 PM
shazzbat

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
Having just become the half-share owner of an immense allotment plot, I'm
looking for a book that might help me start planning my course of action

at
this off-site gardening area.

Fortunately it has just been rotavated and the site seems to be relatively
weed-free, even in the overturned clods of dark (fen) soil, so that bodes
well for the spring.

Any suggestions please?
--
Brian
"I know about kittens and knitting. Will that do?"

There are loads of books about on the subject, one is "the vegetable and
herb expert" from the well-known "expert" series almost certainly available
atyour garden centre, if they haven't totally abandoned gardening matters
for the Christmas bonanza. Also loads available from your library probably,
and you don't have to buy them :-))

Steve
http://mysite.freeserve.com/steveandmaggiesplot

Old 24-11-2003, 09:04 AM
martin

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:52:07 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
Having just become the half-share owner of an immense allotment plot, I'm
looking for a book that might help me start planning my course of action

at
this off-site gardening area.

Fortunately it has just been rotavated and the site seems to be relatively
weed-free, even in the overturned clods of dark (fen) soil, so that bodes
well for the spring.

I recommend Tony Biggs RHS Vegetables ISBN 0 85533 192 5

www.abe.com has several second hand copies of

Old 24-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Brian Watson

"martin" wrote in message

I recommend Tony Biggs RHS Vegetables ISBN 0 85533 192 5

www.abe.com has several second hand copies of
Tony Biggs RHS Vegetables ISBN 0 85533 192 5

Thank you.

That's one I haven't heard of.

Old 24-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Brian Watson

"shazzbat" wrote in message

There are loads of books about on the subject, one is "the vegetable and
herb expert" from the well-known "expert" series almost certainly

available
atyour garden centre, if they haven't totally abandoned gardening matters
for the Christmas bonanza.

Yep, I've got that one and have found it helpful in the garden.

Also loads available from your library probably,
and you don't have to buy them :-))

What a good point!

:-)

Thanks.
--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."

Old 24-11-2003, 06:45 PM
Janet Baraclough

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
Having just become the half-share owner of an immense allotment plot, I'm
looking for a book that might help me start planning my course of action

at
this off-site gardening area.

Fortunately it has just been rotavated and the site seems to be relatively
weed-free, even in the overturned clods of dark (fen) soil, so that bodes
well for the spring.

Any suggestions please?

Have you seen the urg FAQ by Alan ? I think it's called getting
started. Find the FAQs via the weekly abcfornewcomers post.

Janet.

Old 24-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
Having just become the half-share owner of an immense allotment plot, I'm
looking for a book that might help me start planning my course of action

at
this off-site gardening area.

Fortunately it has just been rotavated and the site seems to be relatively
weed-free, even in the overturned clods of dark (fen) soil, so that bodes
well for the spring.

Any suggestions please?

Have you seen the urg FAQ by Alan ? I think it's called getting
started. Find the FAQs via the weekly abcfornewcomers post.

That one is called 'Making a start'. It can be viewed at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/startingout.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.