Old 26-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Buddleia

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

someone wrote
Has anyone seen a red one?

B. colvilei 'Kewensis' is red, but needs warmth to flower well

Hope it smells better than B. colvilei (deep rose colour). There's a
huge one of those against a wall in Brodick Castle's mild garden,
eyecatchingly beautiful in flower. When I was enquiring and enthusing
about the gorgeous thing, I was told the gardeners try to avoid working
near it during flowering, especially in damp weather. One sniff from 5
yards away was enough to explain that :-)

Janet.
Old 26-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Look up Buddleia x weyeriana.

I've got that one the flower shape is much closer to the ordinary
daviddii but it has yellow coloured flowers. I also had harlequin but
that snuffed it last year. I also have one that seems difficult to
identify because it has a very delicate coloured flower, normal pyramid
shaped but the flowers go from lavender to palest yellow. Think its
farreiana or something like that.

janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 27-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Jim W

Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote:

Has anyone seen a red one?

Not me. I'll keep my eyes peeled next summer.

Royal Red, is fairly red as far as Buddlia go..

/
Jim

Old 27-11-2003, 11:11 PM
Jim W

Stephen Howard wrote:

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
ws.com...
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:27:39 +0000, Stephen Howard wrote:
Has anyone seen a red one?

Not me. I'll keep my eyes peeled next summer.

Yes, we have two different varieties. We have Royal Red, which is a deep
red, and a red Harlequin which has variegated leaves. The Harlequin is
everyone's favourite.

Ooh, the variegated one sounds intriguing. How hardy is it?

We've been collecting Buddleja for some time but have yet to find a true
yellow.
We have blues from pale sky through to Lavender and on to the various
purples and near black. We also have numerous whites - some of our
favourites.

I used to have a near black one ( called Black Knight ), smelt
absolutely gorgeous, but wasn't that hardy.
A late October gale pulled it clean out of the ground, and it never
really recovered - and even the resultant cuttings didn't take.

Regards,

I've found Black Knight to be pretty tough, but then we are in London..
Propagates easily enough too..

We also have orange and yellow ball, x weyerarnii (whcih is almost a
thug!-) and various pinks, and whites mostly 'aquired ' via cuttings..
We are also not too far from beale arboretum which harbours a collection
of Buddlia.. Nice in the summer!-)

Jim

Old 27-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Jim W

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote:

"Philip" wrote in message
m...
I am interested in the concept of a Buddleia hedge. I cannot imagine
that Buddleia lends itself to a formal shaped hedge, so I imagine it
must be of the informal type. Is your hedge tall ie 6ft plus or do
you keep it down by cutting away anything that is getting too woody?

The hedge is about 30ft long and curved to contain a wildlife garden.
The buddlejaa are planted in two ways:
A number of "tri-colors" were created by planting royal red, blue and white
cuttings three to a pot and training them to grow through each other. These
were then planted out, interspersed with Globus, Black Knight, Alba, Wild
Purple and Harlequin, all planted at just 2ft intervals. They are all
underplanted with Hypericum.
They are trimmed right down to 3ft high every year and ruthlessly
dead-headed throughout the (very long) season. The main stems are very stout
and woody, but by the end of the season the hedge has put on lush new growth
to about 8ft high, with a similar spread. Plenty of horse-muck goes down
evey autumn.

Do you use the hedge as a barrier to people or animals?

Yes, it keeps my four dogs out of the wildlife garden. It took a while for
the trunks to "beef up" enough to keep out the Newfoundland, but it's all
reasonably dense now.

If so how closely are the Buddleia shrubs planted?

Just 2ft - I suspect we've broken every rule in the book, but we reasoned
that if they can grow out of walls and even chimney-stacks then they
wouldn't mind a bit of competition! My neighbours started a similar hedge
last year with cuttings from ours. It already looks quite impressive but I
had to bully them into pruning it hard.

Phillip.. I like this concept.. would LOVE to see some photos of it in
growth /bloom and after pruning?
Any chance??...
The 'tricolours' sound fab.. Might try this meself-)

//

Jim

Old 28-11-2003, 10:53 AM
jane

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:35:13 +0000,
(Jim W) wrote:

~Stephen Howard wrote:
~
[...]

I've been trying to screen off some ugly buildings so bought buddleia
as the fastest growing pretty shrub I could find. Unfortunately
because they're on a 45 degree chalk bank I can't easily get to prune
them, but they seem to be doing fine and in any case I'd like some
height left overwinter. I bought four different colours and currently
have a globosa waiting to go in. Though that one may well go in the
main garden as it's sufficiently different!

(And that way I'll remember not to prune it at the same time as the
normal ones!)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 03-12-2003, 03:04 AM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacha
Tim Challenger24/11/03 10:34
am"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"5b452cab6d 7e3c22d06ecbfa1bfd29f0@new
s.teranews.com

On 24 Nov 2003 02:26:35 -0800, Philip wrote:

..... Now to the interesting part - the flowers
were primrose yellow. This Buddleia carries the connical shaped
flower heads and not the ball/pom-pom type.

Did you take a cuting ??? ;-)

Yellow is new to me - you can get white flowering ones from mail order
places in Austria and Germany.

Buddleia globosa, Tim. There are several varieties of Buddleia but B.
davidii and B. globosa are possibly the best known. The white ones are
lovely but look a bit tatty when going over, I think.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

About the different colours, I've seen some yellow ones in catalogues (look for names like 'golden' as well as yellow). Shades of red from medium to blood red, pink, purple, white, orange (a cross of the globosa with regular buddleia), near black and dark blue. With a bit of searching you can find almost any colour. You can also find some types with longer flowers, I have two purple ones in my garden and one has just over half foot long flowers while the other consistently blooms with racemes around a foot long.

Because of the variety between each plant I insist on taking cuttings from a mature plant that has good colour flowers, blooms well and has long racemes. Although they all seem to thrive and do well almost anywhere, I prefer to know I got the best and not a random potted plant that may be a little less attractive than one grown from an excellent parent by cutting. This may sound fastidious, but the difference between a plant with half foot racemes and one with foot long racemes is literally double the flowers every year.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Jim W

Bry wrote:

[...]

If its buddlia globosa you want you are welcome to exchange something
for some cuttings.. We have 'orange ball' fairly thriving and it is
dead easy to propagate.

Can get Yellow Ball as well if people really really want it..

Jim

Butterfly bush (Buddleia) how prune? - My Dilemma Ian Gardening 10 23-05-2003 02:32 AM
multi-colored Buddleia courtault at yahoo.com Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Need advice on pruning a buddleia Annabel United Kingdom 2 17-02-2003 09:31 AM
multi-colored Buddleia animaux Texas 0 12-02-2003 01:56 AM
Need advice on pruning a buddleia GR United Kingdom 2 11-02-2003 10:08 PM