Old 24-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Dioscorea batatas (hardy Yam)

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:41:25 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

I bought some artichokes (subterranian) in a shop in Norwich, and they
were long, thumblike, rather small, and very un-knobbly.

Any idea what these were? I've saves them for planting... (When asked,
the assistant said: "Artichokes.")

Look up "Jerusalem artichoke". The inositol in them causes a lot
of gas.

Old 24-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On 24 Nov 2003 15:12:37 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

I will report on Oxalis tuberosum in due course.

I can give an early report. You can buy "oca" in Vancouver at one
of the high end grocery places catering to the urban more-money-
than-is-good-for-them types. A friend bought some and gave me a
couple of pots, which I passed on to other friends with better
growing conditions.

One of the recipients reported back a couple of weeks ago that
hers had formed tubers and that she'd eaten some. She was
delighted with them: like potatos with a lemon-y taste.

I believe oca only forms tubers in the late summer or fall, as
the days shorten, so dig it as late as you can.

But on the other hand it comes from a relatively low latitude
(but high altitude) so it may respond to only a slight shortening
in day length.

Old 24-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rodger Whitlock wrote:
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:41:25 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

I bought some artichokes (subterranian) in a shop in Norwich, and they
were long, thumblike, rather small, and very un-knobbly.

Any idea what these were? I've saves them for planting... (When asked,
the assistant said: "Artichokes.")

Look up "Jerusalem artichoke". The inositol in them causes a lot
of gas.

A.k.a. fartichokes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 24-11-2003, 11:35 PM
Anthony Anson

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Have you tried pig nuts?

Used to pig-out on them as an anklebiter.

--
Tony
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 25-11-2003, 03:18 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:47:12 +0000, Victoria Clare wrote:

Tropaeolum tuberosum - anyone tried that, while we are on the subject of
Andean roots?

Rareplants.co.uk seems to think it is hardy, and it certainly looks
decorative.

I don't know if I could bear to dig it up just to eat the roots unless they
are particularly tasty though! Though presumably the rest is edible like
nasturtians too.

I have the impression that it needs good drainage, esp. if you
have a wet winter. I've never been able to establish it here,
although I've had T. polyphyllum for over a decade. (In that time
it has wandered afar and is now snug under a concrete patio,
whence it comes up around the edges.

Old 25-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Any idea what these were? I've saves them for planting... (When asked,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
###############
the assistant said: "Artichokes.")

Did they taste like potatos or artichokes?

Typo - saved...

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Edibility of ornamental Ipomoea batatas? Monique Reed Plant Science 37 14-12-2004 07:00 PM
Edibility of ornamental Ipomoea batatas? Monique Reed Plant Biology 13 07-12-2004 03:04 PM
New Zealand yam Dwayne United Kingdom 12 30-06-2003 03:22 PM
plant that grows from a relative of the Yam family? blair Plant Biology 13 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
plant that grows from a relative of the Yam family? Vcoerulea Plant Biology 0 19-02-2003 12:36 AM