Old 24-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Dioscorea batatas (hardy Yam)

I'm wondering whether to give this a go this year. Chiltern has seed, and
www.futurefoods.com has tubers.

Is it worth growing? Anyone here growing it? The suppliers reckon it is
mostly hardy, and as I am in Cornwall I could take the chance - but on the
other hand my garden looks straight North to Dartmoor, and there was still
frost on the lawn at lunchtime....

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 24-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Victoria Clare writes:
| I'm wondering whether to give this a go this year. Chiltern has seed, and
| www.futurefoods.com has tubers.
|
| Is it worth growing? Anyone here growing it? The suppliers reckon it is
| mostly hardy, and as I am in Cornwall I could take the chance - but on the
| other hand my garden looks straight North to Dartmoor, and there was still
| frost on the lawn at lunchtime....

Unless it tastes a hell of a lot better than the tropical ones, no.

That excludes the problems that the claimed hardiness is for very
well-drained soil and probably low night temperatures only, and
that it may well need more heat and light to grow than we get.

You might like to have a go at Stachys affinis ("Chinese artichoke").
I tried it, and it isn't bad as a nibble, but doesn't like dry
summers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-11-2003, 03:13 PM
Victoria Clare

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in
:

In article ,
Victoria Clare writes:
| I'm wondering whether to give this a go this year. Chiltern has
| seed, and
www.futurefoods.com has tubers.

| Is it worth growing? Anyone here growing it? The suppliers reckon
| it is mostly hardy, and as I am in Cornwall I could take the chance
| - but on the other hand my garden looks straight North to Dartmoor,
| and there was still frost on the lawn at lunchtime....

Unless it tastes a hell of a lot better than the tropical ones, no.

That excludes the problems that the claimed hardiness is for very
well-drained soil and probably low night temperatures only, and
that it may well need more heat and light to grow than we get.

I think they are growing it up near Holsworthy at the Plants For A Future
site there, and my soil is certainly well drained - better than muddy mid-
Devon anyway.

It may rain all the time here, but the drainage is impeccable, as you'd
expect next door to a gravel quarry. We get a lot of fog, but the ground
doesn't go soggy. Ferns love it...

You might like to have a go at Stachys affinis ("Chinese artichoke").
I tried it, and it isn't bad as a nibble, but doesn't like dry
summers.

Hmm, thanks. Will consider. Those roots do look alarmingly like maggots
tho!

Victoria
Old 24-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article . 10,
Victoria Clare writes:

| You might like to have a go at Stachys affinis ("Chinese artichoke").
| I tried it, and it isn't bad as a nibble, but doesn't like dry
| summers.
|
| Hmm, thanks. Will consider. Those roots do look alarmingly like maggots
| tho!

Funny. That seems to be a near-universal reaction. They don't
look any less like them close up, either.

I will report on Oxalis tuberosum in due course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-11-2003, 07:27 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Victoria
Clare writes
(Nick Maclaren) wrote in news:bpt755$jrr$1
:

I will report on Oxalis tuberosum in due course.

Oh good, that's another I'd been vaguely thinking about. If it survives
Cambridge it should have no problems here, unless it likes long days (north
side of a hill is bad for day length...)

Have you tried pig nuts?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 24-11-2003, 08:11 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Victoria
Clare writes
(Nick Maclaren) wrote in news:bpt755$jrr$1
:

I will report on Oxalis tuberosum in due course.

Oh good, that's another I'd been vaguely thinking about. If it survives
Cambridge it should have no problems here, unless it likes long days (north
side of a hill is bad for day length...)

Have you tried pig nuts?

No, but I also tried Cyperus esculentum. Not bad, if you have
reasonable teeth, but a hell of a fiddle - almost as bad in that
respect as Stachys affinis (which might do better in wetter
climates).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 24-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On 24 Nov 2003 15:12:37 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

I will report on Oxalis tuberosum in due course.

I can give an early report. You can buy "oca" in Vancouver at one
of the high end grocery places catering to the urban more-money-
than-is-good-for-them types. A friend bought some and gave me a
couple of pots, which I passed on to other friends with better
growing conditions.

One of the recipients reported back a couple of weeks ago that
hers had formed tubers and that she'd eaten some. She was
delighted with them: like potatos with a lemon-y taste.

I believe oca only forms tubers in the late summer or fall, as
the days shorten, so dig it as late as you can.

But on the other hand it comes from a relatively low latitude
(but high altitude) so it may respond to only a slight shortening
in day length.

Old 24-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:41:25 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

I bought some artichokes (subterranian) in a shop in Norwich, and they
were long, thumblike, rather small, and very un-knobbly.

Any idea what these were? I've saves them for planting... (When asked,
the assistant said: "Artichokes.")

Look up "Jerusalem artichoke". The inositol in them causes a lot
of gas.

Old 24-11-2003, 09:19 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On 24 Nov 2003 15:12:37 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

I will report on Oxalis tuberosum in due course.

I can give an early report. You can buy "oca" in Vancouver at one
of the high end grocery places catering to the urban more-money-
than-is-good-for-them types. A friend bought some and gave me a
couple of pots, which I passed on to other friends with better
growing conditions.

One of the recipients reported back a couple of weeks ago that
hers had formed tubers and that she'd eaten some. She was
delighted with them: like potatos with a lemon-y taste.

I believe oca only forms tubers in the late summer or fall, as
the days shorten, so dig it as late as you can.

But on the other hand it comes from a relatively low latitude
(but high altitude) so it may respond to only a slight shortening
in day length.

Edibility of ornamental Ipomoea batatas? Monique Reed Plant Science 37 14-12-2004 07:00 PM
Edibility of ornamental Ipomoea batatas? Monique Reed Plant Biology 13 07-12-2004 03:04 PM
New Zealand yam Dwayne United Kingdom 12 30-06-2003 03:22 PM
plant that grows from a relative of the Yam family? blair Plant Biology 13 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
plant that grows from a relative of the Yam family? Vcoerulea Plant Biology 0 19-02-2003 12:36 AM