GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Jane finds her garden:brick wall question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/47930-jane-finds-her-garden-brick-wall-question.html)

Jaques d'Alltrades 05-12-2003 01:12 PM

Jane finds her garden:brick wall question

The message
from (BridgeP) contains these words:

I don't want to denigrate Old Bob in any way, but because a
professional does
it a particular way does make it the right way. Of course, many new bricks
don't have frogs at all, just holes.

However, if two professionals do it two different ways that doesn't
necessarily make them both right, or both wrong, nor either one.

Getting back on-topic, those holy bricks can have their spaces filled
with peat etc and planted with succulents - house leeks, stonecrop etc,
and arranged about the place, used as doorstops, etc.

--
Rusty Hinge

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Chris Stewart 05-12-2003 01:42 PM

Jane finds her garden:brick wall question

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes:
| The message
| from "Franz Heymann" contains
these words:

| What's a frog in this context?
| The indentation moulded into one face of a brick is known as the
frog. I
| have no idea why.
|
| Probably from a similar-shaped indentation under a horse's hoof.

Which is not what the OED says. I agree with you, and think that
the OED is wrong.

I went right off the OED when it started including ephemeral words -
sort of M$ philosophy - built-in obsolibrance.

--
Rusty Hinge

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Obsolibrance? what's that then??

Chris S

Nick Maclaren 05-12-2003 02:09 PM

Jane finds her garden:brick wall question

In article ,
"Chris Stewart" writes:
| "Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
|
| I went right off the OED when it started including ephemeral words -
| sort of M$ philosophy - built-in obsolibrance.
|
| Obsolibrance? what's that then??

I obsolve you from the sin of ignorance, because neither I nor the
OED know, either. No, I didn't know the word 'obsolve' until I
tried looking up 'obsolibrance'.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jaques d'Alltrades 05-12-2003 04:12 PM

"Chris Stewart" writes:
| "Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
|
| I went right off the OED when it started including ephemeral words -
| sort of M$ philosophy - built-in obsolibrance.
|
| Obsolibrance? what's that then??

I obsolve you from the sin of ignorance, because neither I nor the
OED know, either. No, I didn't know the word 'obsolve' until I
tried looking up 'obsolibrance'.

Sorry Chris, your Yahoo address fell into my spamtrap so I didn't see
your post.

If that wan't a rhetorical question, a GWB contractificulation or
telescopulation /GWB of obsolete and libra.

Buy OED today, require new edition tomorrow.

martin 05-12-2003 04:33 PM

Jane finds her garden:brick wall question

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:17:45 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

If that wan't a rhetorical question, a GWB contractificulation or
telescopulation /GWB of obsolete and libra.

Buy OED today, require new edition tomorrow.

Talking of GWB

http://www.mercaba.org/FICHAS/Humor/humor_002.htm
--
Martin

Jaques d'Alltrades 05-12-2003 09:34 PM

Jane finds her garden:brick wall question

The message
from martin contains these words:

Talking of GWB

You owe me a new keyboard.