Old 10-12-2003, 09:02 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Electric greenhouse heaters

"Troy" wrote in message
Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.

I checked this morning and the heater had been on nearly all night

although
it was set for frost protection only. It was still on in the middle of the
day with the outside temperature 7°C and the greenhouse temperature 12°C.

I phoned the manufactures (Parasene) this morning. They agreed that this
heater must be faulty but said the one I returned was not faulty. They

said
the frost protection setting only works for greenhouses up to 6ft X 6ft. I
said - hang on - you advertise the heater to provide frost protection for
greenhouses "up to 120 sq ft". Yes - it will, they said, but for sizes
larger than 6 X 6 you have to set the thermostat manually to a higher
setting.

I then asked where this was in the instructions - only to be told it

wasn't
in the instructions but was true. I said a thermostat works by heat and

not
area and it *should* have switched itself on at 5°C regardless of the size
of the greenhouse. They said I was wrong - "That setting only works for
greenhouses up to 6 X 6 although it doesn't say so in the instructions".

Great :-(

It's going back. I've lost faith in this company's products.
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.

We just use the cheapo £12.99 fan heaters, normally set one notch above
frost guard, for big greenhouses we just use two heaters, the difference in
thermostat settings means only one comes on most of the time, the oldest of
these is now 17!. But if you want to be sure, a good rod thermostat as
suggested would be the best move.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk