Old 25-01-2004, 07:05 PM
Rod

Default Electric heaters revisited

We had a thread a while back generally lamenting the accuracy of the thermostats
built in El Cheapo greenhouse heaters. Well you get what you pay for - if you
are prepared to pay (a *lot*) more I noticed at least one offered in Two Wests
& Elliot's new catalogue which should give very acceptable control. The energy
savings ought to recoup some of the cost but above all you will be confident
that your plants are safe. They do two - one has a traditional capilliary
thermostat (not bad), the other has an electronic thermostat with a remote
sensor (*much* better), tho' the resolution and accuracy aren't specified it
should do the job.
http://www.twowests.co.uk/cgi-bin/twowests.storefront

--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html
Old 26-01-2004, 12:08 AM
Troy

Rod wrote:

We had a thread a while back generally lamenting the accuracy of the thermostats
built in El Cheapo greenhouse heaters. Well you get what you pay for - if you
are prepared to pay (a *lot*) more I noticed at least one offered in Two Wests
& Elliot's new catalogue which should give very acceptable control. The energy
savings ought to recoup some of the cost but above all you will be confident
that your plants are safe. They do two - one has a traditional capilliary
thermostat (not bad), the other has an electronic thermostat with a remote
sensor (*much* better), tho' the resolution and accuracy aren't specified it
should do the job.
http://www.twowests.co.uk/cgi-bin/twowests.storefront

I think I might have been the original poster on this subject :-)

With hindsight, one of the heaters on the twowests site you suggest would
have suited my purposes - Ah well too late :-(

Follow up to my problem - My *third* parasene 2Kw heater from B&Q actually
nearly works as advertised i.e. I'm almost confident my greenhouse plants
are safe using the "frost protection" setting :-)
--
Regards,

Trøy the Black Lab.

Old 27-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Rod
writes
Troy wrote:

I think I might have been the original poster on this subject :-)

With hindsight, one of the heaters on the twowests site you suggest would
have suited my purposes - Ah well too late :-(

Follow up to my problem - My *third* parasene 2Kw heater from B&Q actually
nearly works as advertised i.e. I'm almost confident my greenhouse plants
are safe using the "frost protection" setting :-)

Yes it was you I was thinking of. Glad you found one that does the job for you.

Go on tell us which ONE on the two west's site you would think the best?
The one that looks like a jet engine and hangs in mid air or the other
that looks like an ordinary heater.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 28-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Rod

Janet Tweedy wrote:

Go on tell us which ONE on the two west's site you would think the best?
The one that looks like a jet engine and hangs in mid air or the other
that looks like an ordinary heater.

janet

The latter - the Bio Arizona. What swings it for me is the thermostat. You can
separate the heater, the controller and the sensor; put each in the best place,
like controller handy near the door - sensor just over plants and heater where
it distributes heat best in your house. The thermostat is not the usual crude
bi-metal or capillary device which are not very accurate, but worse the
settings are not easily repeatable. Though I don't have any specification for
the thermostat a typical digital thermostat will be repeatable and should give
tighter control, enabling you to safely set the temperature closer to your
acceptable minimum; this will save a useful amount of energy.
Do check the operation against a known accurate thermometer. Digital devices
tend to give a false impression of accuracy - you tend to see all those digits
after the decimal point and take it as gospel and it might not be. What it will
be though is repeatable so just so long as you know the errors you can allow
for them.

Old 29-01-2004, 01:10 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Rod
writes

The latter - the Bio Arizona. What swings it for me is the thermostat.

Well yes but I'm not sure the fact that, at 189 pounds the thermostat is
dearer than the 169 pounds heater, will swing the argument for my
husband. I feel he may think it a trifle expensive! Now if they were
both under 200 then I might consider it. However I am still considering
a hot bench so this would put the cost way over the top.

sigh...... back to the catalogues to find an alternative.

Janet

Old 29-01-2004, 01:10 PM
David Hill

I bought a nice little 2kw fan heater with frost setting from Curries for
around £12.00 thermostat is accurate to around 5 degrees, and at that price
you can dump it after a year if you need to( and remember it has a 12 month
guarantee which doesn't specify domestic use ).

OK as long as you don't water it.

I looked at a few around £0.00 to £40.00 and their stats were lousy.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 29-01-2004, 02:32 PM
martin

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:47:41 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Rod
writes

The latter - the Bio Arizona. What swings it for me is the thermostat.

Well yes but I'm not sure the fact that, at 189 pounds the thermostat is
dearer than the 169 pounds heater, will swing the argument for my
husband. I feel he may think it a trifle expensive! Now if they were
both under 200 then I might consider it. However I am still considering
a hot bench so this would put the cost way over the top.

sigh...... back to the catalogues to find an alternative.

Honeywell made a good intelligent adaptive thermostat for around
UKP30. We have one in our living room.

I can't imagine a thermostat that costs UKP189.
--
Martin
Old 29-01-2004, 02:42 PM
martin

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:06:05 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

I bought a nice little 2kw fan heater with frost setting from Curries for
around £12.00 thermostat is accurate to around 5 degrees, and at that price
you can dump it after a year if you need to( and remember it has a 12 month
guarantee which doesn't specify domestic use ).

OK as long as you don't water it.

or if you do, do it in the guarantee period and dry it out before
claiming :-)

Old 29-01-2004, 06:22 PM
Rod

Janet Tweedy wrote:

Well yes but I'm not sure the fact that, at 189 pounds the thermostat is
dearer than the 169 pounds heater, will swing the argument for my
husband. I feel he may think it a trifle expensive! Now if they were
both under 200 then I might consider it. However I am still considering
a hot bench so this would put the cost way over the top.

sigh...... back to the catalogues to find an alternative.

Which prices are you looking at Janet? What I saw was £210.00 including
thermostat. Got there from the 'Promotions' on the right hand side of the home
page.