Old 14-12-2003, 10:38 PM
colin mclean

Default apple trees

what is the definitive time to prune apple trees - uk NW - anyone help?

Old 15-12-2003, 03:44 PM
Philip

"colin mclean" wrote in message
what is the definitive time to prune apple trees - uk NW - anyone help?

Late winter / early spring time.
Try to do it when the really cold weather is over , but do not leave it too
late or the tree will have started growing

HTH
Phil

Old 15-12-2003, 04:38 PM
anton

Philip wrote in message . ..

"colin mclean" wrote in message
what is the definitive time to prune apple trees - uk NW - anyone help?

Late winter / early spring time.
Try to do it when the really cold weather is over , but do not leave it too
late or the tree will have started growing

and summertime. Summer pruning reduces vigour (leafy growth).

--
Anton

Old 16-12-2003, 01:05 AM
Scott L. Hadley

and summertime. Summer pruning reduces vigour (leafy growth).
Anton

Right. I use summer pruning, preferably July, to slow an apple down, or any
other strong plant. Not just to slow it down, but to take advantage of its
ability to take whatever other pruning I may have in mind!

Then use dormant season pruning for invigoration; renewal pruning. That's in
Maine's Canadian winters. I wonder whether in Britain one should wait till
what seems to be close to the end of the dormant season there, to do renewal
pruning.

Scott L. Hadley

Old 17-12-2003, 12:33 AM
anton

Scott L. Hadley wrote in message ...
and summertime. Summer pruning reduces vigour (leafy growth).
Anton

Right. I use summer pruning, preferably July, to slow an apple down, or any
other strong plant. Not just to slow it down, but to take advantage of its
ability to take whatever other pruning I may have in mind!

Then use dormant season pruning for invigoration; renewal pruning. That's

in
Maine's Canadian winters. I wonder whether in Britain one should wait till
what seems to be close to the end of the dormant season there, to do

renewal
pruning.

For apples then anytime from when the leaves drop until
just before budburst seems OK here.

--
Anton

Old 19-12-2003, 10:02 PM
J Jackson

anton wrote:

: Philip wrote in message . ..
:
: "colin mclean" wrote in message
: ...
: what is the definitive time to prune apple trees - uk NW - anyone help?
:
:
:
: Late winter / early spring time.
: Try to do it when the really cold weather is over , but do not leave it too
: late or the tree will have started growing

: and summertime. Summer pruning reduces vigour (leafy growth).

Mmmmmm...... I'd say it doesn't seem to encourage quite as much new
growth. Which is not quite the same.