Old 21-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Frogleg

Default Growing Avocados in a Kitchen in Dublin.

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:49:09 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:
When the
shoot emerges (it can take several weeks), it will be a straight stick
with a few leaves at the top. Recommended treatment is to prune this
stick to about 5" (and no leaves!) to force it to branch. I never
prune them severely enough.
in a suitable climate.

I beg to disagree!

If you sprout enough stones eventually, you will get on that sends out
multiple shoots rather than one. Guard it with your life as it will have a
multistem shrubby growth form instead of wanting to reach for the sky ever
tree like.

Mine is around 10years old now. Lives inside from October to may in a sunny
kitchen/ day room and outside on the pation for the summer.

Its about 1m30 tall and wide in a 18" bell pot and is a georgeous triple
stemmed shrub. Its been hacked back a few times but happily comes back ever
stronger.

I must say I've never seen or heard of such a success.
Congratulations! How long after the sprout emerged was it clearly a
mulit-stemmed one? I will stop throwing away avocado seeds if there's
reasonable hope. Thanks. :-)