Old 27-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Gerry

Default Advice on Polytunnel

I am in the process of ordering a 36' by 14' polytunnel to get my seedlings
going earlier in the year as we get a lot of rain (and cold) here in the
normal growing season (gotten worse over the years).
Intend to use it to get seedlings growing instead of buying plants (eg
Tomato)
and to get cuttings rooting and growing for the first year and especially to
grow early potatoes and vegetables.

I am looking for a group that might be appropriate or advice on layout. I am
considering digging two trenches down the length of the tunnel to minimise
bending and to get better use of the edges of the tunnel as it slopes to the
ground.

Would welcome anyone's opinion.

Thanks

Gerry

Old 28-12-2003, 02:45 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Gerry" contains these words:

I am looking for a group that might be appropriate or advice on layout. I am
considering digging two trenches down the length of the tunnel to minimise
bending and to get better use of the edges of the tunnel as it slopes to the
ground.

I did that with a tunnel, shoring the sides with corrugated iron, and it
was well worth the work.

I dug a sump at one end which had water in it most of the time, and
after heavy or prolonged rain I sometimes had to wear wellies.

The work isn't quite as much as you'd think, because in digging the
trench you will be raising the bed with the spoil. (Even if you have to
remove topsoil first and then replace it on top.)

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 28-12-2003, 07:05 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Gerry
writes
I am in the process of ordering a 36' by 14' polytunnel to get my seedlings
going earlier in the year as we get a lot of rain (and cold) here in the
normal growing season (gotten worse over the years).
Intend to use it to get seedlings growing instead of buying plants (eg
Tomato)
and to get cuttings rooting and growing for the first year and especially to
grow early potatoes and vegetables.

I am looking for a group that might be appropriate or advice on layout. I am
considering digging two trenches down the length of the tunnel to minimise
bending and to get better use of the edges of the tunnel as it slopes to the
ground.

That's about the same size as our polytunnel which we've used for years.
Don't make any first layout too permanent because you will almost
certainly want to change it after a couple of seasons. At present we
have one side of ours arranged into four raised beds, a central walking
path and a staging built all along the other side. We have doors either
end to keep the weather out in winter. This year we have done lots of
seeding and cuttings on the staging and we have raised tender crops in
the floor beds. We had fresh dug new potatoes from the polytunnel for
Xmas Day. The space near to the skin at the side can be a problem for
height and access, but we tend to have low growing quick cropping herbs
in that area.

If you grow early potatoes in there, remember not to use the same space
for tomatoes or peppers for 2-3 years. We rotate it with courgettes,
melons, cucumbers and salad greens.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 28-12-2003, 09:42 AM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article , Gerry
writes
I am in the process of ordering a 36' by 14' polytunnel to get my seedlings
going earlier in the year as we get a lot of rain (and cold) here in the
normal growing season (gotten worse over the years).
Intend to use it to get seedlings growing instead of buying plants (eg
Tomato)
and to get cuttings rooting and growing for the first year and especially to
grow early potatoes and vegetables.

I am looking for a group that might be appropriate or advice on layout. I am
considering digging two trenches down the length of the tunnel to minimise
bending and to get better use of the edges of the tunnel as it slopes to the
ground.

Ours, which is considerably smaller than yours at 20' by 10', has beds
along each side raised about 9" and supported by 1.5" thick timbers,
giving better drainage and reduced bending. The central path is 16",
just wide enough for our wheelbarrow. The raised beds were filled with a
mixture of compost and soil from levelling the site. The beds don't
extend quite the full length of the tunnel - there is a space of c.2'6"
at one end where I have put shelves for seed trays and to accommodate
the usual gardening clutter.

--
Malcolm Ogilvie